Used 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Explorer-sport-trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

GREAT FOR A WOMAN THAT WANTS A TRUCK
By TERESA

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am woman with children and hauls a lot of kids around. It is great for hauling flowers and taking kids to the football game all at the same time.

Favorite Features

How reliable it is. Never scared that I will drive it off and it will break down on me. I love Fords for that.

Suggested Improvements

A little more style on the dash.

Much room for improvement
By William

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like the truck a lot. Nice styling, good features like the bed extender and bed cover. Lot of room in the back seat. Good off road capabilities, both in 4H and 4L. Only problem are the side steps which are quite low and tend to touch the ground off road. My biggest problem is my dealership; the after sales service is as bad as can be. Build quality is fair and reliability not as good as a Japanese make.

Favorite Features

Bed extender, bed cover.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy through bigger or more powerful engine. Better build quality.

'03 Sport Trac
By Jonathan

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only flaw I have found is the rigid and light rear end causes some stability issues. Often at normal road speeds, hitting bumps when going any direction but straight can cause the rear to skip a little, not a fun feeling. I would pass on the power seats if you want to be able to store anything under them, and the rear seats don't fold down flat if you store anything of size under them. Other than that, a wonderful truck.

Favorite Features

Styling of the truck and the interior capacity. It was the only mid-sized truck that I found I could sit 4 adults comfortably in 2004. The power rear window is cool. The bed does well for it's size.

Suggested Improvements

Biggest one - Rear suspension, weight dist to increase stability. Interior storage areas. Rear seat folding design.

My second Vegas trip
By Tim Monaghan

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just completed our second Las Vegas trip in our Sport Trac from Victoria Canada. Great room, great comfort, even at Laughlin's 120 degrees! We have towed a smaller 16-foot travel trailer throughout the western U.S. and Canada over 14,000 foot mountain passes without a hiccup. We love it.

Favorite Features

Get the leather seats and the factory tonneau cover.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the sides on the bed so it's easier to reach over.

2005 Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin
By mbeery1

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bar none one of the best vehicles ever owned. Some quality issues early on, but taken care of by dealer. Interior with heated seats has button located to left of driver seat that trips on when entering/exiting vehicle, not fun in summer. If you're looking for truck/luxury combo you found it with this vehicle. Stereo outstanding, I added XM Satellite which makes longer trips enjoyable. Sound quality superb! One of a kind vehicle for 2005. Check out the new 2007 models, could be worth the wait.

Favorite Features

Love it. Family likes to go for rides, clients enjoy the comfort. Ideal for the DIY'er, or the shopping trip. All the bell's and whistles. Will trade this for the 2007 model when it comes out.

Suggested Improvements

Not much. As mentioned before put the seat heater button someplace else, other than that don't change a thing.