2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
The worst vehicle I ever owned
By Jim in Fla on 04/13/06 11:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My 2005 XLT has had a vibration in it that you feel in your rear since the day that I picked it up. Dealer tells me that it's not their problem, to deal with Ford. Ford tells me to take it back to the dealer. Truck has been in the shop 7 times in 8 months and is just as bad as at the time of delivery. 10 new tires, drive shaft indexed, front end alignment, spin balance multiple times. I am applying for the Lemon Law as Ford told me that they were unwilling to even send a Field Engineer to look at the vehicle and they suggested that I take it to a different dealer. When Ford files for chapter 11, I will have a party. It's no wonder they are in such bad shape. They could care less about quality

Deceptive
By LesterUt on 01/17/06 03:27 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Sport Trac is confining to drive. I had previously owned an regular Explorer and a F-150. This Sport Trac seems to be a buffed up Ranger and seems to be a Ranger chassis. Legroom and space for the driver lacks room and the seat sits fairly high, obscuring driver vision. The engine is underpowered for the frame. But fuel economy does not reflect the poor performance. I would not purchase this vehicle again. I would recommend spending a weekend with this vehicle before making a decision on your purchase.

Luv my "Little Ugly Truck"
By Brenda Scott on 01/09/06 21:30 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've wanted one of these since they first came out in 2001. I've always said "they are so ugly that they are cute". I was finally able to purchase one in March of 2005. Mine has the bed extender, the split tonneau cover, the moon roof ... the works. It handles very well and I love the roominess. I also love the separate heating and cooling controls for the backseat passengers. I am not pleased with the gas mileage. The sticker promised 15-20 mpg. I usually get 13.2 miles per gallon. Quite a big difference from what was promised!

So Far So Good
By coach on 12/19/05 19:43 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The truck is a great family vehicle. Comfortable for the commute and great for light home owner hauling. 4WD works well and pulls great. The only complaints are the poor location for the seat warmers and the squeaky driver's seat. The seat warmer needs to be moved to the dash area where you will not bump it while getting in. The driver's seat squeaks and was told by Ford, "Don't know why." Other than that it is a great car. I can not complain about the fuel, because I know it is a truck. Looking forward to the 8 cylinder.

Awesome car!
By cmcquade1974 on 12/02/05 21:00 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Living in Texas you need a truck, however living in the city you need a car. This truck is it! Best of both worlds!

GREAT FOR A WOMAN THAT WANTS A TRUCK
By TERESA on 10/28/05 10:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am woman with children and hauls a lot of kids around. It is great for hauling flowers and taking kids to the football game all at the same time.

Much room for improvement
By William on 09/21/05 17:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like the truck a lot. Nice styling, good features like the bed extender and bed cover. Lot of room in the back seat. Good off road capabilities, both in 4H and 4L. Only problem are the side steps which are quite low and tend to touch the ground off road. My biggest problem is my dealership; the after sales service is as bad as can be. Build quality is fair and reliability not as good as a Japanese make.

'03 Sport Trac
By Jonathan on 09/17/05 08:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only flaw I have found is the rigid and light rear end causes some stability issues. Often at normal road speeds, hitting bumps when going any direction but straight can cause the rear to skip a little, not a fun feeling. I would pass on the power seats if you want to be able to store anything under them, and the rear seats don't fold down flat if you store anything of size under them. Other than that, a wonderful truck.

My second Vegas trip
By Tim Monaghan on 09/07/05 15:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just completed our second Las Vegas trip in our Sport Trac from Victoria Canada. Great room, great comfort, even at Laughlin's 120 degrees! We have towed a smaller 16-foot travel trailer throughout the western U.S. and Canada over 14,000 foot mountain passes without a hiccup. We love it.

2005 Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin
By mbeery1 on 08/18/05 10:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bar none one of the best vehicles ever owned. Some quality issues early on, but taken care of by dealer. Interior with heated seats has button located to left of driver seat that trips on when entering/exiting vehicle, not fun in summer. If you're looking for truck/luxury combo you found it with this vehicle. Stereo outstanding, I added XM Satellite which makes longer trips enjoyable. Sound quality superb! One of a kind vehicle for 2005. Check out the new 2007 models, could be worth the wait.