2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
25+ years in auto buisness
By wyomack on 06/12/08 14:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have bought three of these, based off the old Ranger platform they have been very reliable and sturdy, after putting Michelin tires on they get better mileage and ride tremendously better. The rear seating arangement is better than all the other 4dr pickup sut's, comfortable for 4 people with thier junk as well, always stable and very well mannered on the road. It is not a sports car or hot rod--buy a Lightning or a 2008 v-8 Sport Trac, gets good mileage. Always over 20 hwy and very capable even 2wd in snow and ice, also is a flex fuel vehicle and easy to maintain for the owner. Best SUV buy out there

I LOVE MY SPORT TRAC
By Hillary on 02/19/07 18:49 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my Mustang GT for this truck and my only regret is the Sport Trac not having the power the GT had. Other than that I love it! And it does get a lot of looks on a hot summer day with all the windows down and clean as can be.

The worst vehicle I ever owned
By Jim in Fla on 04/13/06 11:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My 2005 XLT has had a vibration in it that you feel in your rear since the day that I picked it up. Dealer tells me that it's not their problem, to deal with Ford. Ford tells me to take it back to the dealer. Truck has been in the shop 7 times in 8 months and is just as bad as at the time of delivery. 10 new tires, drive shaft indexed, front end alignment, spin balance multiple times. I am applying for the Lemon Law as Ford told me that they were unwilling to even send a Field Engineer to look at the vehicle and they suggested that I take it to a different dealer. When Ford files for chapter 11, I will have a party. It's no wonder they are in such bad shape. They could care less about quality

Deceptive
By LesterUt on 01/17/06 03:27 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Sport Trac is confining to drive. I had previously owned an regular Explorer and a F-150. This Sport Trac seems to be a buffed up Ranger and seems to be a Ranger chassis. Legroom and space for the driver lacks room and the seat sits fairly high, obscuring driver vision. The engine is underpowered for the frame. But fuel economy does not reflect the poor performance. I would not purchase this vehicle again. I would recommend spending a weekend with this vehicle before making a decision on your purchase.

totally useful and reliable
By jward on 08/13/05 12:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehilcle has been trouble free and is the most useful vehicle I have had, considering I have owned over 35 automobiles. It fits the need of the do it your self lifestyle and is totally trouble free. Just gas and go. I have experienced over 23 mpg on highway driving at posted speeds +/- 5 mph.

A Girl's Truck
By teresa on 07/05/05 12:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The truck is great for anything a woman may need a truck for. And still have room for kids, dogs and other things we might need to haul around on a day to day basis.

Ford has a winner in the Sport Trac
By Mangy on 06/06/05 12:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I think the Sport Trac is the best SUT on the market today. It is a perfect combination of room, towing capability, style and versatility. Four adults can very comfortably take a long trip in this truck (has seating for 5). It is a great truck for the average homeowner who has occasional hauling needs but doesn't need or want a full size truck.

Explorer Sport Trac
By David Temple on 05/25/05 12:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased a new Sport Trac. This vehicle met the needs I wanted. I didn't need or want a full size pickup. But I wanted a bed to haul items that wouldn't fit inside a normal SUV. I wanted light duty towing capability and with 5300 lbs it easily meets that need. I have found that is has a quiet and smooth ride on the road. The seats are very comfortable. The interior is user friendly and the console easy to see. It isn't loaded with a lot of fancy electronic gadgets unless you want to add them on, which I didn't want. I have found it has smooth acceleration. It doesn't snap your head back but I wasn't looking for a sports car. Really good low end power and the brakes stop on a dime.

Should have bought it sooner
By Bo on 05/23/05 11:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I looked at the Sport Trac a couple years ago and really liked them but hesitant to buy one because of past problems I had with an F-150. When I finally decided it was time to buy I started looking at trucks and SUVs from all manufacturers and probably judged Ford the hardest. I pretty much selected a vehicle from all the major manufacturers and then started the process of elimination by comparing features. Once I had it narrowed down to three vehicles I then went to dealerships for test drives and "in person" comparison. After extensive head-to-head tests there was no denying that the Sport Trac was the clear winner in features, style, usability, and build quality.

Great Truck
By Diane Sapp on 04/06/05 21:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a station wagon but wanted a truck, but also the room for my grandkids. With this truck I have both.The bed seems small and I was a little worried about that for I have horses, but it will hold 3 bales of hay. So it is just perfect for me. I have leather interior that is very comfortable.To sum it all up I love my truck