Used 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

'03 Sport Trac
By Jonathan

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Premium Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only flaw I have found is the rigid and light rear end causes some stability issues. Often at normal road speeds, hitting bumps when going any direction but straight can cause the rear to skip a little, not a fun feeling. I would pass on the power seats if you want to be able to store anything under them, and the rear seats don't fold down flat if you store anything of size under them. Other than that, a wonderful truck.

Styling of the truck and the interior capacity. It was the only mid-sized truck that I found I could sit 4 adults comfortably in 2004. The power rear window is cool. The bed does well for it's size.

Biggest one - Rear suspension, weight dist to increase stability. Interior storage areas. Rear seat folding design.

My second Vegas trip
By Tim Monaghan

Just completed our second Las Vegas trip in our Sport Trac from Victoria Canada. Great room, great comfort, even at Laughlin's 120 degrees! We have towed a smaller 16-foot travel trailer throughout the western U.S. and Canada over 14,000 foot mountain passes without a hiccup. We love it.

Get the leather seats and the factory tonneau cover.

Lower the sides on the bed so it's easier to reach over.

Happy with my Sport Trac
By Tony

This has been a great truck. Fits our lifestyle nicely, can still put a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back, seat 5 adults comfortably, tow a utility trailer and still drive the thing around downtown and not have difficulty finding a parking spot. Biggest disappointment is the gas mileage. I can't understand how a 6 cylinder not being driven hard gets such poor mileage. Build quality is great and I haven't had a single problem with it.

You have to get the cargo bar for the back bed. The composite bed is also excellent. Finally a truck manufacturer figured that out! No more dents, scratches and I don't need a bed liner or a spray on liner.

Gas mileage! Also I wish the back slide down window let you stop it where you wanted to. Right now it either vents or opens all the way, I want to be able to open it as far as I want to open it. I don't think this would be difficult.

Dream Car or truck it has it all
By Teri

Has good acceleration, comfortable to ride in, easy to handle. The side rails are a must have if you're going to use it as a family car. I thought the moonroof was just an extra expense - boy was I wrong. It's great for evening drives. If you open the moonroof on the open road, you need to open the rear windows a little to cut the roar; if you don't the interior is very noisy.

Moonroof, stereo system, adjustable seats ... ok, everything in the car is FANTASTIC.

Compartments on the doors have no real practical use, either eliminate them or have them flexible.

Second Sport Trac for me
By MarkF

After putting on 100K on a first year 2001 Sport Trac I just had to buy another one. This time I upgraded to a leather package with the full console and fog lamps and couldn't be happier.

Soft leather and red/grey package is the bomb!

Looking forward to a V8 version as the V6 just isn't peppy enough.