Used 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

25+ years in auto buisness
By wyomack

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have bought three of these, based off the old Ranger platform they have been very reliable and sturdy, after putting Michelin tires on they get better mileage and ride tremendously better. The rear seating arangement is better than all the other 4dr pickup sut's, comfortable for 4 people with thier junk as well, always stable and very well mannered on the road. It is not a sports car or hot rod--buy a Lightning or a 2008 v-8 Sport Trac, gets good mileage. Always over 20 hwy and very capable even 2wd in snow and ice, also is a flex fuel vehicle and easy to maintain for the owner. Best SUV buy out there

Rear seating, air conditioning, rear slider

Goodyear bad--- Michelin good

I LOVE MY SPORT TRAC
By Hillary

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my Mustang GT for this truck and my only regret is the Sport Trac not having the power the GT had. Other than that I love it! And it does get a lot of looks on a hot summer day with all the windows down and clean as can be.

Lots of windows, White gauges, tonneau cover with locking abilities, I feel safe to have my daughter in it.

The gap between the bed and cab of the truck is quite large, maybe bring it closer to the cab in future models.

The worst vehicle I ever owned
By Jim in Fla

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My 2005 XLT has had a vibration in it that you feel in your rear since the day that I picked it up. Dealer tells me that it's not their problem, to deal with Ford. Ford tells me to take it back to the dealer. Truck has been in the shop 7 times in 8 months and is just as bad as at the time of delivery. 10 new tires, drive shaft indexed, front end alignment, spin balance multiple times. I am applying for the Lemon Law as Ford told me that they were unwilling to even send a Field Engineer to look at the vehicle and they suggested that I take it to a different dealer. When Ford files for chapter 11, I will have a party. It's no wonder they are in such bad shape. They could care less about quality

Good legroom, great styling, very handy bed.

Move the stupid seat heater switch! Better sound proofing. Overall quality control is a joke. Stand behind your product, don't hide behind a dealer who told me that he didn't care if it got fixed or not.

Deceptive
By LesterUt

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Sport Trac is confining to drive. I had previously owned an regular Explorer and a F-150. This Sport Trac seems to be a buffed up Ranger and seems to be a Ranger chassis. Legroom and space for the driver lacks room and the seat sits fairly high, obscuring driver vision. The engine is underpowered for the frame. But fuel economy does not reflect the poor performance. I would not purchase this vehicle again. I would recommend spending a weekend with this vehicle before making a decision on your purchase.

The rear window with full width opening is a great feature.

The same vehicle on a bigger chassis, with more room between driver and passenger and a little more legroom in the back for rear passengers.

totally useful and reliable
By jward

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehilcle has been trouble free and is the most useful vehicle I have had, considering I have owned over 35 automobiles. It fits the need of the do it your self lifestyle and is totally trouble free. Just gas and go. I have experienced over 23 mpg on highway driving at posted speeds +/- 5 mph.

Truck bed utility and room for 5 comfortably in the cabin. Exceptional highway ride for a true truck. Great highway milage for a truck.

Update some of the interior design,improve city milage, but don't mess with the seat comfort.

• SUV