Used 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Why did Ford build this?
By fmrdlrauto

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It is Nov 2012 as I type this. Altho this pkp has less than 12,000 mi it has had to have ALL 4 brakes & 2 rotors replaced due to early failure. Not much room for a 6'1'' guy like me. Pkp is underpowered and avgs 17 mpg city/hwy cmbind. Short bed is nxt to worthless. You cannot unlock doors with keypad on door, only with keyfob! Late father's trk. Drove many pkps over the years. This is the worst. Had so much trouble with my 99 Sable and this 2005 Pkp, I am now a proud 2010 Honda Van owner. No wonder FORD dropped this model. Choppy ride, & controls are in weird places. I'd have been ashamed to sell this trk to my customers. Give me an old F150 4x4, 8ft. bed!

Favorite Features

A/C works great. Easy to shift into 4 wheel drive. Electric rear window nice. Running boards are good. Good heating system. Locking tailgate handy. Goes well in snow!

Suggested Improvements

Should have offered in a 7ft or 8ft bed. Not enough interior room for tall folks. Hate the way pwr door lock system works! Engine underpowered. Needs a turbo! Brake reliability is horrible! Speed control awkward to operate.Radio/CD player awkward to operate.Knitted vinyl seats would be nice!Control switch operation not consistent with other FORD products. Needs longer warranty.This, like Ford's Aerostar, EXP, 4cyl Tauruses, Diesel Tempos & such,Mustang IIs, Courier Pkps,80-82 T-Birds should never have been approved & built! A totally redesigned, roomy, long bed, small truck, with a good price, great reliability, and excellent mileage would win back all those small pickup owners Ford lost.

A Great In-Town Truck
By Scott

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I did all the research and test drove everything. I'm on the road a lot with my truck for work. I wanted something that was comfortable enough to work in all day, but still have a truck that could carry garbage, branches and all the stuff associated with owning a home. This truck has been everything that I imagined. If you think that this is a full sized truck, you're wrong. If you want a full sized truck, go by one. But, if you want a great compact truck that is luxurious, eye catching and handles small truck jobs this is your unit.

Favorite Features

Leather, moonroof, locking box cover, 4x4 in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Move the heated seat control farther up the seat for easier access.

2005Adrenalin
By BillT

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

First Sport trac was a 2001 XLT (Company car). Loved it. Traded in at 80,000 for only one on the lot.. Adrenalin. Special Red. A beauty Have never seen another. That is #1. Will be made to trade in soon and I will to buy the trade. Gas mileage is frustrating..can only average 16.

Favorite Features

Bed and extender, cover. Ergonomics fit me (6'2"). rear slide down window.

Suggested Improvements

Auto tail gate lock. Lift arms on rear cover. Aux on radio.

Safe to drive ...
By fraff2

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this vehicle for 5 years, but it was just totaled. I believe the side airbags prevented injury to driver as truck was rolled on it's side. Truck was totaled and wheel even came off ! Driver walked away with minor scratches. Sorry to see truck go to salvage, I really liked it ! Drives like a truck that it is. I believe newer 2007+ models drive better (revamped, newer platform ?).

Favorite Features

Nice sound system. Nice to have pickup bed in back with tonneau cover that keeps things dry. Very handy when my son and I go scuba diving, throw gear in back and go. No wet neoprene smell in cabin on way back !

Suggested Improvements

Rear air conditioning fan is noisy. MP3 hookup would be nice. Gas mileage adequate at best , bordering poor ?

25+ years in auto buisness
By wyomack

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have bought three of these, based off the old Ranger platform they have been very reliable and sturdy, after putting Michelin tires on they get better mileage and ride tremendously better. The rear seating arangement is better than all the other 4dr pickup sut's, comfortable for 4 people with thier junk as well, always stable and very well mannered on the road. It is not a sports car or hot rod--buy a Lightning or a 2008 v-8 Sport Trac, gets good mileage. Always over 20 hwy and very capable even 2wd in snow and ice, also is a flex fuel vehicle and easy to maintain for the owner. Best SUV buy out there

Favorite Features

Rear seating, air conditioning, rear slider

Suggested Improvements

Goodyear bad--- Michelin good