2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
Why did Ford build this?
By fmrdlrauto on 11/13/12 12:27 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It is Nov 2012 as I type this. Altho this pkp has less than 12,000 mi it has had to have ALL 4 brakes & 2 rotors replaced due to early failure. Not much room for a 6'1'' guy like me. Pkp is underpowered and avgs 17 mpg city/hwy cmbind. Short bed is nxt to worthless. You cannot unlock doors with keypad on door, only with keyfob! Late father's trk. Drove many pkps over the years. This is the worst. Had so much trouble with my 99 Sable and this 2005 Pkp, I am now a proud 2010 Honda Van owner. No wonder FORD dropped this model. Choppy ride, & controls are in weird places. I'd have been ashamed to sell this trk to my customers. Give me an old F150 4x4, 8ft. bed!

A Great In-Town Truck
By Scott on 07/02/10 18:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I did all the research and test drove everything. I'm on the road a lot with my truck for work. I wanted something that was comfortable enough to work in all day, but still have a truck that could carry garbage, branches and all the stuff associated with owning a home. This truck has been everything that I imagined. If you think that this is a full sized truck, you're wrong. If you want a full sized truck, go by one. But, if you want a great compact truck that is luxurious, eye catching and handles small truck jobs this is your unit.

2005Adrenalin
By BillT on 11/12/09 05:19 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

First Sport trac was a 2001 XLT (Company car). Loved it. Traded in at 80,000 for only one on the lot.. Adrenalin. Special Red. A beauty Have never seen another. That is #1. Will be made to trade in soon and I will to buy the trade. Gas mileage is frustrating..can only average 16.

Safe to drive ...
By fraff2 on 07/02/09 12:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this vehicle for 5 years, but it was just totaled. I believe the side airbags prevented injury to driver as truck was rolled on it's side. Truck was totaled and wheel even came off ! Driver walked away with minor scratches. Sorry to see truck go to salvage, I really liked it ! Drives like a truck that it is. I believe newer 2007+ models drive better (revamped, newer platform ?).

25+ years in auto buisness
By wyomack on 06/12/08 14:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have bought three of these, based off the old Ranger platform they have been very reliable and sturdy, after putting Michelin tires on they get better mileage and ride tremendously better. The rear seating arangement is better than all the other 4dr pickup sut's, comfortable for 4 people with thier junk as well, always stable and very well mannered on the road. It is not a sports car or hot rod--buy a Lightning or a 2008 v-8 Sport Trac, gets good mileage. Always over 20 hwy and very capable even 2wd in snow and ice, also is a flex fuel vehicle and easy to maintain for the owner. Best SUV buy out there

Good to go
By RTC on 05/08/08 22:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Trac does everything I need it to. I do a lot of hunting and 4 wheeling and the Trac has enough tow power to tow my boat and atv trailers. The ride is not as smooth as I would like after being spoiled in a '04 F150. The interior is kind of boring compared to the 07 models and the 04 and newer F150s and 05 and newer Explorers.

Couldn't be happier!
By jew72 on 01/16/08 13:51 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I originally looked at Sport Trac when they first came out years ago, but was able to get away with buying a much cheaper xtra cab Tacoma. Since then the kid has gotten a lot bigger and he was getting cramped in the back of the Yo. I looked at all the small/mid-size crew-cab trucks and found flaws with all of them. The Sport Trac had the fewest cons and by far the most pros. Since then I am extremely happy with my choice and with this Ford product. There is tons of room in the back seat (tested a Frontier, Tacoma, Dakota or Colorado). Front seats are extremely comfortable. Reliability is first class. Good job Ford. I am looking forward to testing a 2008 soon- gorgeous interiors!

Trac Lover
By dizazter on 01/04/08 11:52 AM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've been searching for a 4x4 for the last month, and kept coming back to the Sport Trac. I got a great deal on this '05 with tons of features that will more than meet my needs. Will be great for work and personal travel and elegant enough for a night out on the town.

Ford Sport Trac
By Dale on 04/17/07 13:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Sport Trac has been a joy. We've had very few, if any problems. Sport Trac has been very solid with no rattles, squeaks and is well built.

I LOVE MY SPORT TRAC
By Hillary on 02/19/07 18:49 PM (PST)

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my Mustang GT for this truck and my only regret is the Sport Trac not having the power the GT had. Other than that I love it! And it does get a lot of looks on a hot summer day with all the windows down and clean as can be.