Nearly Perfect for Our Family
By BKN6006_IN on
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I had owned 3 Dodge Dakotas in a row, all bought new, since 1988. The last one, a 2002 (Generation 3) broke me of them for good; far too many problems. I traded it off for a used Sport Trac, which admittedly, scared me as I'd been hit hard with a used car (from a dealer) before! The 04 was previously owned by the dealer's service manager, and had 15K miles on it. It was everything I was looking for, with the exception of no manual transmission available. I had not owned an automatic since 1985! I have had the truck for 2.5 years now, and other than a rude surprise from the front brake calipers seizing and ruining all pads and rotors, there have been no issues at all. Very reliable and smooth.
Favorite Features
4wd, 4 doors, locking bed cover, nice interior and easy to clean! CD/tape stereo and nice sound, even in plain sound unit. Good back seat for the boys, seating 5 well. Child locks a must!
Suggested Improvements
Flex-fuel being the joke it is cuts the mpg down to 14 highway, no AC at 60mph. Agree with others, if a V8 car can get more mpg, why can't this truck? A firmware upgrade to the computer, perhaps? A manual tranny would've been nice. Tires other than BadYear. Other than that, great truck for our needs.