Used 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Why?
By JB

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ok truck, but a bit small. I'd be a lot happier if the bed were a foot longer. It drives well enough on the freeway, but leans and lurches about on the twisty stuff. Also, beware the W-I-D-E turning radius which means it's not very nimble in parking lots and garages. The stock seats are comfortable. This is a good thing because they have only basic adjustments. The OHC engine performs quite well compared to my old anemic '94 model. Gas mileage is appalling, however, yielding a solid 14.5mpg in pure suburban driving and topping out at 21 for 100% interstate trips. For the gas it burns, I think I'd better off with a full sized truck.

The hinged, locking hard bed cover. Opening rear window. Comfortable driving position. Simple interior trim: no carpet! (No mud, smells, etc.). Acceptable power.

Make the bed one foot longer! Better handling. Better fuel economy.

Great Truck
By buck

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Adrenalin 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Sport Trac that I have owned; they both have been great trucks.

Exterior looks.

Not a big fan of the Goodyear tires that came on the 2004 model. My first Sport Trac had Michelin's and they were a much better tire. The seat adjustment could have more room from the door.

still lovin' it!
By arnie_c

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Sport Trac is all and more than we expected. We use it to haul a 16' bass boat around in the summer. The cap we put on lets us transport the dog during hunting season. It's an outdoorsman's dream!

Move the window lock-out switch forward, ahead of the power window buttons to minimize accidental (and almost invariable) activation.

First looks may be incorrect
By Hibshman

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I picked this truck up used by someone who jumped the gun. The Ford was getting around 12 miles to the gallon. After further research and previous knowledge. I picked a K&N air filter and changed the engine oil to 5w40 oil which is called for by Ford for the 4.0 v6. And by only filling half of the 22.5 gallon tank at gas stops, not to mention the flexible fuel feature. I am now doing better then 17 MPG city for a four wheel drive! The comfort level and look of the truck along with the versatility. So prior to chasing everyone to an import make sure you have correct oil and air filtration. Along with tire PSI.

Interior comfort. It is equal to or better than a previously leased BMW 328i.

For all of you car drivers. You will see a MPG decrease. However, if you compare to luxury cars that require high grade fuels. The quality far exceeds the shallow qualifications of MPG. No, improvement needed.

New Tires
By JS

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like this truck and would rate it much higher if I didn't have the suspension problems. I have 35,000 miles on my truck and the front tires (second set) are feathering on the inside half. I have been told several different reasons for the problem ... struts, shocks, alignment. This truck has had problems eating up tires since around 13,000 miles. I have never heard of a vehicle going through shocks or struts that quickly. Also idles rough and "floats" during highway driving due to the suspension problems.

Rear window.

Longer lasting front suspension.