2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
Great truck, but short on amenities
By ST Driver on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent truck... getting 17-19 MPG keeping the foot out of it -- great for a truck/SUV. Ample torque off the line for merging, but fades a bitabove 50 mph. Interior is comfy, big and handy, but lacks basics like compass/outside temp gauge found std on cars costing half as much. Power mirrors and cruise not enough to justify the $1.5K extra for XLT package - should've bought XLS and had those added for about half that. Zero reliability issues in first 3k miles - fun to drive, but a bit bumpy.

fun to drive
By gnatsum on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The sport trac is very comfortable and gives a good view of the road. It is sized just right for someone who wants a pickup which is not oversized but can get the job done.

MY XLT
By BCBard on 07/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this truck. It is perfect for all I need it to do. Not too big and bulky, as the gas sucking testosterone laden trucks out there. It carries my family and I comfortably, all 5 of us. My family and I enjoy it's versitility. We use it for fishing and camping trips, the shorter, smaller bed being just the right fit for us. This is a great compact truck.

2002 sports track
By RC on 07/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like it overall, improvement over my 95 F150. Solid, no rattles.

Great SUV for the Money
By Andy Z on 07/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Cost me about $16995 plus tax with all the rebates and discounts. Great vehicle for the money. Would have loved better fuel economy -- but it's a SUV so what do you expect. Very practical for around the home -- 5 pass and a pick up bed with a cover -- cool

Good Mileage, Great Truck
By TN Truck on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck does it all! Looks great, interior is fine for carting around 5 adults, and the plastic bed means you need not worry about scratching up your paint. Mileage in the 18-20 mpg rane (mixed driving) is achievable if you keep your foot out of it -- tops in its class. Recently got 23 mpg on a trip to Alabama (interstate, 70 mph). 4.0 V6 is powerful enough to pull this 2+ ton truck, and get you in and out of traffic smartly. Base CD player is adequate... but Pioneer system for $200 more would have been better. A comfortable compromise between commuter vehicle, SUV, yet can function as a truck when you need it, which fits in a garage.

Disappointed
By teddy on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had the ST for 6 months. In that time I've had three CD Players, a 4x4 switch and moon roof fail. Ford needs to improve the quality of this truck.

chucks chioce
By charles bryant on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

slow off the line, not much power needs a 8 cylinder, other than that, it is a pretty good truck. i like the looks and the styling of the sport trac. perfect size.i dont like the where the cruise control buttons are they should be where they are on the g.m.s on the turn signal switch. the sun visor should have extensions like the g.m.s

A great mid-sized truck!
By mrobin on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

A good truck for those not needing lots of bed space. The interior offers lots of room and a comfortable ride. Heat and A/C controls in back seat a plus, as is the roll down rear window. I have been very pleased, and as a mechanic, I have not seen many problems with them.

Has done everything my family has needed
By science on 06/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sport Trac during a Colorado Blizzard and drove it home using the 4wd. I have driven it to California from Colorado and from Colorado to Las Vegas 4 times with no complaints. I have hauled fence material for my MOM, furniture for friends, and many things for me. My daughter sits in the back and loves to use the climate control. I currently have 19,000 miles only one transmission coolant line that the dealer fixed. I would buy a sport trac again it this car was ever totaled.