2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
Bitter Sweet Experience
By Road Warrior on 08/26/06 18:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Enjoyed this vehicle greatly for the first 63,000 miles. Then started having trouble with keeping it balanced. Had tires balanced numerous times, also aligned, purchased new set of OEM tires (old set still had many miles left on them at 65,000 miles), purchased one new rim that might have been bent in a pot hole in Danville, IL. Still the ride is not as good as before the tire rotation that started what I feel is a vibration problem. Don't know what causes this slight vibration, whether it's the vehicle or just transmitting road imperfections. Considering trading for a 2007.

I love this truck - it saved my life
By kemss on 08/11/06 21:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have very much enjoyed my truck... it has been perfect - fits all of my kid's friends (big back seat) and I can haul things in the bed. It saved my life when an 18 wheeler decided to rear end me and push me into another truck. It has been great with maintenance... I just wish the paint didn't get chipped so easily when other cars bump their doors on my doors. Otherwise it has been perfect!

Why?
By JB on 05/15/06 13:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ok truck, but a bit small. I'd be a lot happier if the bed were a foot longer. It drives well enough on the freeway, but leans and lurches about on the twisty stuff. Also, beware the W-I-D-E turning radius which means it's not very nimble in parking lots and garages. The stock seats are comfortable. This is a good thing because they have only basic adjustments. The OHC engine performs quite well compared to my old anemic '94 model. Gas mileage is appalling, however, yielding a solid 14.5mpg in pure suburban driving and topping out at 21 for 100% interstate trips. For the gas it burns, I think I'd better off with a full sized truck.

Great Truck
By buck on 04/13/06 06:12 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Sport Trac that I have owned; they both have been great trucks.

still lovin' it!
By arnie_c on 01/08/06 12:40 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Sport Trac is all and more than we expected. We use it to haul a 16' bass boat around in the summer. The cap we put on lets us transport the dog during hunting season. It's an outdoorsman's dream!

First looks may be incorrect
By Hibshman on 12/29/05 14:59 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I picked this truck up used by someone who jumped the gun. The Ford was getting around 12 miles to the gallon. After further research and previous knowledge. I picked a K&N air filter and changed the engine oil to 5w40 oil which is called for by Ford for the 4.0 v6. And by only filling half of the 22.5 gallon tank at gas stops, not to mention the flexible fuel feature. I am now doing better then 17 MPG city for a four wheel drive! The comfort level and look of the truck along with the versatility. So prior to chasing everyone to an import make sure you have correct oil and air filtration. Along with tire PSI.

New Tires
By JS on 12/28/05 15:42 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like this truck and would rate it much higher if I didn't have the suspension problems. I have 35,000 miles on my truck and the front tires (second set) are feathering on the inside half. I have been told several different reasons for the problem ... struts, shocks, alignment. This truck has had problems eating up tires since around 13,000 miles. I have never heard of a vehicle going through shocks or struts that quickly. Also idles rough and "floats" during highway driving due to the suspension problems.

Sport Trac
By bayhuntr on 09/29/05 22:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is perfect for someone who needs to on occasion haul 4x8 plywood, carry 5 passengers or have a lockable trunk (with the hard bed cover and locking tail gate). I'm 6'6" and have good leg room. The arm rests and seat belts fit with the seat all the way back. The back seats fold down flat for when the dog is along. The only thing I wish they would improve is the mileage. If they came out with a hybrid Sport Trac, I'd be all happy.

OUTSTANDING TRUCK!
By FFRoss on 04/30/05 08:49 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 2004 Explorer Sport Trac is fun to own and fun to drive. Very good styling inside and out. 4 foot bed extending to 6 foot with bed extender is a nice option. Power rear window is very nice.

Nice truck.
By Duncan on 01/20/05 14:57 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the truck in July '04, have 10K miles in 6 months and LOVE it. Needs a little better suspension though. Just a bit shaky for such a well thought out vehicle. Perfect combination of city commuter and country hauler. Much better seating for 4 adults than a cramped car, not huge like an SUV, yet still very sporty. Only 1 problem in 6 months but it was a quick fix for the dealer. Bed extender is a "must have"