2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
Love it but
By Lil Blu on 06/04/08 12:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I Love the vehicle's utility and versitility. I have done 105 K so far. It fits any size person. Air bag went bad (second time for Ford product). They are on national back order which translates to bad 'air bag' product. Rear blower went bad as well. Needs better gas mileage. Bed with extended will haul drywall & plywood.

Not perfect, but not bad
By AA on 05/25/08 01:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After 110000M, it's still going strong without any mechanical failures. Just the basic maintenance required. It has excellent fuel consumption, compared to my Tahoe. Of course, you trade off horses when you go into a V6 but it's enough to do most things that can be done with a 4 foot long box. Outside styling looks very sporty and the paint has a tough anti scratch coating. The suspension is a little too soft for spirited driving, but the truck still handles very well on the road. Very comfortable front seats. Dunno about back ones, never been on them. Havent heard complaints about them though. The tail of the truck is a extremely light (fiberglass box), but nothing some sand bags wont fix.

Great Compromise
By D. L. on 02/11/08 11:40 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought in 2007; with 25,000 miles; XLT Premium. Like new. Saved a bunch. Looked at new Jeep four door, too much metal showing, and Dakota four door, noisier and more truck-like. Well pleased with this compromise design. Good looking, solid, quiet. Fits in my garage. Have added K&N air filter, removed resonator, changed to flow- through muffler. 16 mpg in suburban driving.

Nice truck but.....
By Matt Cappadonna on 01/01/08 23:18 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck from Car Max. I did a lot of research before purchasing the vehicle and came to the conclusion that this is the one. Unfortunately the vehicle has made me marginally happy. Was it because of Car Max or Ford build quality, I don't know, but here are a few of the pro's and con's.

Very impressed
By dan the man on 09/27/07 20:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned many a truck--and I am very pleased to have purchased this one. My wife actually picked this one out--I was not aware it had a frame which allows it to tow over 5,000 lbs--the current V6 explorers only do 3,500 lbs because of their more uni-body construction (I believe I am correct in this). The rear power window is a god-send! It is large and easy to operate. I love the rubber floors--easy to get messy and easy to clean up! I have a 5x10 trailer and a property that needs a smaller truck to maneuver around the trees so the Sport Track can easily tow the trailer when the load out paces the smaller truck bed and it can also more easily get around the trees on my lot! Buy it!

Fits in the run or in the city
By Nelson on 07/06/07 08:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Adrenalin 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this truck! The handling blows away my Expedition, plenty of power from the 4.0L and and excellent ride. Just scrap the darn Goodyears! I replaced them with Bridgestone Duelers and the wet and snow traction is now amazing. The Pioneer stereo set-up just cranks and my white truck with the chrome of the Adrenalin Package gets positive comments from my customers daily. This truck is great for guys like me who need someplace to throw wet and muddy soccer gear without the overkill of a full size truck. And with a wife and two kids we fit perfectly for long trips. I can't wait to buy my new one next year!

Modded!
By Math-you on 04/07/07 10:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second SportTrac, and I love it more than the first. Have modified it for more performance, better handling, and appearance.

Great vehicle
By Em on 02/15/07 11:17 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Sport Trac is a great vehicle for people who consistently need cargo room even though they live in an urban area or want to avoid the gas-trap of larger trucks. I've used the truck to haul hay and grain for my horses (which it does easily) as well as to take guests and friends to more formal events in town. Very versatile!

I love it!
By IL Cop on 02/05/07 20:48 PM (PST)

I traded my 98 Eddie Bauer Explorer on a brand new Ford Freestyle and was miserable. I finally talked my wife into taking the Freestyle off my hands so I could get a small truck and in steps the Sport Trac Adrenalin. I couldn't be happier with everything about this vehicle from the great styling to the smooth driving. I bought a used 04 with 38K miles and it takes off smoother than any vehicle I've ever owned. The 4 litre, 210 HP engine is plenty to pull this truck along and I'm sure it will handle my bass boat come spring. This truck is roomy inside and has all the amenities I need.

A good mix
By Dan on 02/01/07 20:54 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love the versatility of this vehicle. I've loaded a fridge, mountain bike & TV stand in the back and carried 4 adults in the cab. You just can't beat that versatility. It's not a superior truck, nor a superior passenger vehicle. If you need a dedicated truck, buy a truck. If you need an SUV to haul the family, buy an SUV. However, if you want a vehicle that performs both jobs well (not perfectly, mind you) then you can't go wrong with a Sport Trac.