Used 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Keepin it until it dies.
By Excellent Truck

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving this truck, however because of poor fuel economy (17 mpg) cant use for commute. Handles great, only two repairs in 5 years. Traded a Toyota Tacoma when I bought Ford new and this truck is hands down better. It is perfect for our needs.

Exterior, very classy. Power rear window is awesome. No carpeting, just rubber floors.

Inside very spartan, hard plastics etc. Spruce up interior. More rear leg room needed in rear.

Most useful vehicle
By T Culbertson

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the most useful vehicle we've ever owned. Room for 4 or 5 adults, great visibility, good seating position, versatile mini truck bed, quiet cabin for an SUV, has been trouble free. I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins two years ago.....huge ride difference. Pulled 2 heavy trailer loads of household goods across country. It struggled with the weight, but otherwise handled fine. Nice sound system, good fit and finish. I'm averaging 18-19 MPG with mostly highway driving. Ford did a great job on this one!!

Great visibility, good seating, versatility, good quality, sound system, mini pickup bed

More power

my 2004 Sport Trac Adrenalin
By Scott89racin

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had very few problems with my Sport Trac. Ball joints were replaced at 12k and the transfercase was rebuilt at 29k due to a problem with hanging up in low or not shifting into 4wd at all. Drivers window reg was replaced at 29k and they fixed an evap problem at 35k under warranty.For having such a small engine it still pulls and I have more than once exceeded the 3500 lb towing capacity by 100%(I towed combined 7000 once) The trans cooler is a definete plus for towing. My friends Silverado trans went out going over the divide in Colorado with less miles towing about the same loads as me.(a Jeep) My fluid was cool to the touch while he had smoke comming out of his fill tube!

STEREO!! Seat heaters and towing ability.

Moore interior room. More comfterable seats.

Nearly Perfect for Our Family
By BKN6006_IN

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had owned 3 Dodge Dakotas in a row, all bought new, since 1988. The last one, a 2002 (Generation 3) broke me of them for good; far too many problems. I traded it off for a used Sport Trac, which admittedly, scared me as I'd been hit hard with a used car (from a dealer) before! The 04 was previously owned by the dealer's service manager, and had 15K miles on it. It was everything I was looking for, with the exception of no manual transmission available. I had not owned an automatic since 1985! I have had the truck for 2.5 years now, and other than a rude surprise from the front brake calipers seizing and ruining all pads and rotors, there have been no issues at all. Very reliable and smooth.

4wd, 4 doors, locking bed cover, nice interior and easy to clean! CD/tape stereo and nice sound, even in plain sound unit. Good back seat for the boys, seating 5 well. Child locks a must!

Flex-fuel being the joke it is cuts the mpg down to 14 highway, no AC at 60mph. Agree with others, if a V8 car can get more mpg, why can't this truck? A firmware upgrade to the computer, perhaps? A manual tranny would've been nice. Tires other than BadYear. Other than that, great truck for our needs.

Great vehicle!
By fordlover

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a great vehicle so far. I think that as long as the routine maintenance is performed that it will last a long time. There have been a few items inside that haven't held up. The paint is cheap around the stereo console, the air vents do not always stay open, and the steering wheel cover is very worn.

I chose the leather sets and vinyl floor mat. I love how clean the vehicle stays without carpet and other soft surfaces. The leather is comfortable and easy to maintain.

The plastics on the interior and their paint should be improved.