2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews 2

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Love it but
By Lil Blu

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I Love the vehicle's utility and versitility. I have done 105 K so far. It fits any size person. Air bag went bad (second time for Ford product). They are on national back order which translates to bad 'air bag' product. Rear blower went bad as well. Needs better gas mileage. Bed with extended will haul drywall & plywood.

Favorite Features

Large mobile rear window is great when hauling moulding. Hard cover acts as trunk. Two outlet charges two cell phones. Step is invaluable to short ladies accessing vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage.

Not perfect, but not bad
By AA

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After 110000M, it's still going strong without any mechanical failures. Just the basic maintenance required. It has excellent fuel consumption, compared to my Tahoe. Of course, you trade off horses when you go into a V6 but it's enough to do most things that can be done with a 4 foot long box. Outside styling looks very sporty and the paint has a tough anti scratch coating. The suspension is a little too soft for spirited driving, but the truck still handles very well on the road. Very comfortable front seats. Dunno about back ones, never been on them. Havent heard complaints about them though. The tail of the truck is a extremely light (fiberglass box), but nothing some sand bags wont fix.

Favorite Features

Roomier interior than most midsize 4 door trucks. The roll down rear window is a great feature. The coded access, in case you head to beach and want to leave keys in it while in the water. The headlights and the foglights illuminate amazingly the road without having HID Xenon headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension is too soft. The cargo box is made of fiber glass, making the truck extremely light in the rear. The area around the stereo has a very nice soft to the touch finish, but it peels off extremely quickly. The rear heating fan stopped working at some point. Back seat won't fold flat.

Great Compromise
By D. L.

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought in 2007; with 25,000 miles; XLT Premium. Like new. Saved a bunch. Looked at new Jeep four door, too much metal showing, and Dakota four door, noisier and more truck-like. Well pleased with this compromise design. Good looking, solid, quiet. Fits in my garage. Have added K&N air filter, removed resonator, changed to flow- through muffler. 16 mpg in suburban driving.

Favorite Features

Good compromise between passenger and load capabilities. Rear window. Exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Performance, gas mileage

Nice truck but.....
By Matt Cappadonna

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck from Car Max. I did a lot of research before purchasing the vehicle and came to the conclusion that this is the one. Unfortunately the vehicle has made me marginally happy. Was it because of Car Max or Ford build quality, I don't know, but here are a few of the pro's and con's.

Favorite Features

Power everything is great. Power rear window and heated seats work like a champ. Premium radio and sun roof was a good choice.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better gas mileage and turning radius. Radio buttons too far to reach for driver. Emergency brake release too far under dash to reach comfortably. 2 weeks later R/F bearing died. Never been the same.

Very impressed
By dan the man

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned many a truck--and I am very pleased to have purchased this one. My wife actually picked this one out--I was not aware it had a frame which allows it to tow over 5,000 lbs--the current V6 explorers only do 3,500 lbs because of their more uni-body construction (I believe I am correct in this). The rear power window is a god-send! It is large and easy to operate. I love the rubber floors--easy to get messy and easy to clean up! I have a 5x10 trailer and a property that needs a smaller truck to maneuver around the trees so the Sport Track can easily tow the trailer when the load out paces the smaller truck bed and it can also more easily get around the trees on my lot! Buy it!

Favorite Features

4 doors, 7 inches more legroom than Nissan Frontier (only 1 inch less than crew cab Chevy 1500), power sliding rear window, bed liner material and tonneau cover and side tie-downs, rubber floors, in-bed power-point, able to tow over 5000lbs, 4x4 low option, keyless entry door pad!

Suggested Improvements

There was no 2005 made, so look to the new 2006 and newer models. I drove a V8 2008 and loved it! The mileage is similar to the V6, so get the V8. Also, the 2008 includes some standard features the 2006/2007's had as options like the rear sliding power window.

Fits in the run or in the city
By Nelson

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this truck! The handling blows away my Expedition, plenty of power from the 4.0L and and excellent ride. Just scrap the darn Goodyears! I replaced them with Bridgestone Duelers and the wet and snow traction is now amazing. The Pioneer stereo set-up just cranks and my white truck with the chrome of the Adrenalin Package gets positive comments from my customers daily. This truck is great for guys like me who need someplace to throw wet and muddy soccer gear without the overkill of a full size truck. And with a wife and two kids we fit perfectly for long trips. I can't wait to buy my new one next year!

Favorite Features

Pioneer with 8 speaker set-up, power rear window, behind the seat storage.

Suggested Improvements

My only suggested improvements was to offer the V8, which they did for 2007.

Modded!
By Math-you

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second SportTrac, and I love it more than the first. Have modified it for more performance, better handling, and appearance.

Favorite Features

Bed and 4 full doors and plenty of room inside and out. And 4WD to get through the nasty stuff.

Suggested Improvements

More power!

Great vehicle
By Em

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Sport Trac is a great vehicle for people who consistently need cargo room even though they live in an urban area or want to avoid the gas-trap of larger trucks. I've used the truck to haul hay and grain for my horses (which it does easily) as well as to take guests and friends to more formal events in town. Very versatile!

Favorite Features

Rope toggles on truck bed. Passenger space. Payload capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Including a bed-extender with the truck. Making the coating around the stereo more durable. Making backseat headrests slightly smaller to allow back seats to fold completely flat.

I love it!
By IL Cop

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my 98 Eddie Bauer Explorer on a brand new Ford Freestyle and was miserable. I finally talked my wife into taking the Freestyle off my hands so I could get a small truck and in steps the Sport Trac Adrenalin. I couldn't be happier with everything about this vehicle from the great styling to the smooth driving. I bought a used 04 with 38K miles and it takes off smoother than any vehicle I've ever owned. The 4 litre, 210 HP engine is plenty to pull this truck along and I'm sure it will handle my bass boat come spring. This truck is roomy inside and has all the amenities I need.

Favorite Features

Great styling, plenty of power, very smooth ride and drive.

Suggested Improvements

Haven't found any yet.

A good mix
By Dan

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love the versatility of this vehicle. I've loaded a fridge, mountain bike & TV stand in the back and carried 4 adults in the cab. You just can't beat that versatility. It's not a superior truck, nor a superior passenger vehicle. If you need a dedicated truck, buy a truck. If you need an SUV to haul the family, buy an SUV. However, if you want a vehicle that performs both jobs well (not perfectly, mind you) then you can't go wrong with a Sport Trac.

Favorite Features

I love its ability to haul loads and 4 adults comfortably at once. The interior is dotted with handy storage compartments that minimize clutter. The lockable tonneau cover is handy & can be removed in 2 minutes by one person. The bed extender is great & the nearly indestructible bed is a perk.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is so-so (15-19mpg, though 17 is average). The ride is not the smoothest, but that is a truck for you. Consumers have been spoiled with trucks that ride like sedans. This is a truck, with a truck's chassis. It rides like one. If you want a smooth ride in a 4 door P/U, opt for a Frontier.