2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
2004 sport trac
By wpearson1 on 10/21/11 12:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my 2004 Sport trac xls new in 2004. After 66,000 plus miles it is still going strong. Replaced tires after 50,000 miles. I have driven through 4 hurricanes to work in 90 plus mile hour winds with no worries about my safety. The truck is paid for and I am sure it will be give me at least another 100,000 miles of transportation. It is a little thirsty at todays gas prices but at least there is no car payment. I have hauled numerous bikes, trees, 25 bags of mulch, lawn mowers, wood, furniture, playsets, without a worry. It is nice to be high up when driving on the highway. I just change the oil and filter per manual and have had no worries.Better than wife's Mercedes in reliability!

Design Flaw?
By spar07 on 02/11/11 10:49 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife bought her truck about 4 years ago. A little less than 4 months later, the front passenger wheel literally broke off at a speed of approximately 60 mph. The reason for the problem was due to the wheel bearing freezing up. The dealer where she bought the truck was surprised that the vehicle did not roll and do some serious damage to life and property. This winter, just short of 4 years later, the bearing froze up again and was on the brink of breaking once again. The only conclusion is that there has to be some kind of design or material flaw in the materials used for this model. The truck has been inspected in attempt to find the problem. Owners beware!!

Great vehicle
By Em on 02/15/07 11:17 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Sport Trac is a great vehicle for people who consistently need cargo room even though they live in an urban area or want to avoid the gas-trap of larger trucks. I've used the truck to haul hay and grain for my horses (which it does easily) as well as to take guests and friends to more formal events in town. Very versatile!

A good mix
By Dan on 02/01/07 20:54 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love the versatility of this vehicle. I've loaded a fridge, mountain bike & TV stand in the back and carried 4 adults in the cab. You just can't beat that versatility. It's not a superior truck, nor a superior passenger vehicle. If you need a dedicated truck, buy a truck. If you need an SUV to haul the family, buy an SUV. However, if you want a vehicle that performs both jobs well (not perfectly, mind you) then you can't go wrong with a Sport Trac.

Why?
By JB on 05/15/06 13:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ok truck, but a bit small. I'd be a lot happier if the bed were a foot longer. It drives well enough on the freeway, but leans and lurches about on the twisty stuff. Also, beware the W-I-D-E turning radius which means it's not very nimble in parking lots and garages. The stock seats are comfortable. This is a good thing because they have only basic adjustments. The OHC engine performs quite well compared to my old anemic '94 model. Gas mileage is appalling, however, yielding a solid 14.5mpg in pure suburban driving and topping out at 21 for 100% interstate trips. For the gas it burns, I think I'd better off with a full sized truck.

2004 SporTrac
By Dale Hepworth on 01/07/05 10:33 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The SporTrac is a pleasure to drive. Literally drives like a car, but still can haul with the bed. However, steering is a bit wobbly, meaning, not as tight as in my old '99 Ford Ranger. Love the increased horsepower and 5 speed auto transmission. Sometimes you really have to put the pedal to the metal in order to shift into a higher gear. Other than the above, I would buy another one

I LOVE MY STPORT TRAC
By ASHLEIGH on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I AM VERY SATISFIED WITH MY SPORT TRAC. IT IS THE PERFECT TRUCK FOR A FEMALE.

E'S SPORT TRAC
By Espie Cisneros on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I LOVE MY SPORT TRAC VERY FUN TO DRIVE I AM BUYING THIS VEHICLE MY FIRST PURHCHASE. I LEASED MY OTHER TWO TRUCKS I GET ALOT OF LUCKS WHILE IM DRIVING MY SPROT TRAC. I LOVE THE COLOR AND THE TENT ON THE TRAC

Satisfied owner
By Rondo on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my 2004 Sports Trac for about 5 month. Have taken two medium length trips and found it to be comfortable and it handles well. Easy to get around in heavy traffic. My wife loves to drive it.Our grand children love it. Gas milage is good but it could be improved. I have no major complaints.It is fun to drive.

fun to drive
By gnatsum on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The sport trac is very comfortable and gives a good view of the road. It is sized just right for someone who wants a pickup which is not oversized but can get the job done.