Used 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer-sport-trac - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

This vehicle could have been more reliable
By woodinva

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Replaced Good year Tires RTS at 10k ( dealer replace) then again they wore out at 40K . Tranny replaced at 37K miles. Shocks replaced at 40K miles ALl new Front end & ball joints replaced at 40K miles. Bearings replaced at 40k miles. Got new Michelin LTX M+S at 40K miles now rides like a dream if you ROTATE tires every 10k miles.

Favorite Features

Now after fixing Front end stuff & getting new tires love the ride. Sirius Sat Radio and ability to configure Haul & tow with convertible bed/ with cover and flip out extended rails to almost a 6 ft bed when necessary!

Suggested Improvements

MOVE that HEATED SEAT SWITCH form seat to the dash!!! Give this vehicle a front end with grease fittings for ball joints and give it coil springs.. This vehicle will never stay aligned or stop wearing out tires with the current front end setup. Whomever is manufacturing your transmissions you need to give them the boot. Mine went out at 37K miles.. Glad I bout the extended warranty for 1800. The tranny cost $3200 and dealer had my vehicle for 1 month.. Luckily because of warranty I was in a rental car! Got 6yr 100k warranty.. still riding on it in 2012!

Nice truck but.....
By Matt Cappadonna

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck from Car Max. I did a lot of research before purchasing the vehicle and came to the conclusion that this is the one. Unfortunately the vehicle has made me marginally happy. Was it because of Car Max or Ford build quality, I don't know, but here are a few of the pro's and con's.

Favorite Features

Power everything is great. Power rear window and heated seats work like a champ. Premium radio and sun roof was a good choice.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better gas mileage and turning radius. Radio buttons too far to reach for driver. Emergency brake release too far under dash to reach comfortably. 2 weeks later R/F bearing died. Never been the same.

I love this truck - it saved my life
By kemss

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have very much enjoyed my truck... it has been perfect - fits all of my kid's friends (big back seat) and I can haul things in the bed. It saved my life when an 18 wheeler decided to rear end me and push me into another truck. It has been great with maintenance... I just wish the paint didn't get chipped so easily when other cars bump their doors on my doors. Otherwise it has been perfect!

Favorite Features

Big back seat.

Suggested Improvements

Paint shipping; not to have the ridge that goes out from the doors.... this makes it too easy for other cars to bump and get the pain shipped

New Tires
By JS

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like this truck and would rate it much higher if I didn't have the suspension problems. I have 35,000 miles on my truck and the front tires (second set) are feathering on the inside half. I have been told several different reasons for the problem ... struts, shocks, alignment. This truck has had problems eating up tires since around 13,000 miles. I have never heard of a vehicle going through shocks or struts that quickly. Also idles rough and "floats" during highway driving due to the suspension problems.

Favorite Features

Rear window.

Suggested Improvements

Longer lasting front suspension.

Nice truck.
By Duncan

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the truck in July '04, have 10K miles in 6 months and LOVE it. Needs a little better suspension though. Just a bit shaky for such a well thought out vehicle. Perfect combination of city commuter and country hauler. Much better seating for 4 adults than a cramped car, not huge like an SUV, yet still very sporty. Only 1 problem in 6 months but it was a quick fix for the dealer. Bed extender is a "must have"

Favorite Features

6 disk CD, rubber floor mats (it's a truck, not a town car!), don't have to worry about scratching the roof if I enter a parking garage, good layout of interior, nice sized engine (not too big, not too small), sliding rear window.

Suggested Improvements

LED on dash for heated seats or move the switch, better suspension, drain holes for windshield wipers (water puddles in the scoop for wipers), better wind noise reduction, automatic unlock for the rear doors when in park.