2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
This vehicle could have been more reliable
By woodinva on 02/16/12 14:21 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Replaced Good year Tires RTS at 10k ( dealer replace) then again they wore out at 40K . Tranny replaced at 37K miles. Shocks replaced at 40K miles ALl new Front end & ball joints replaced at 40K miles. Bearings replaced at 40k miles. Got new Michelin LTX M+S at 40K miles now rides like a dream if you ROTATE tires every 10k miles.

Nice truck but.....
By Matt Cappadonna on 01/01/08 23:18 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck from Car Max. I did a lot of research before purchasing the vehicle and came to the conclusion that this is the one. Unfortunately the vehicle has made me marginally happy. Was it because of Car Max or Ford build quality, I don't know, but here are a few of the pro's and con's.

I love this truck - it saved my life
By kemss on 08/11/06 21:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have very much enjoyed my truck... it has been perfect - fits all of my kid's friends (big back seat) and I can haul things in the bed. It saved my life when an 18 wheeler decided to rear end me and push me into another truck. It has been great with maintenance... I just wish the paint didn't get chipped so easily when other cars bump their doors on my doors. Otherwise it has been perfect!

New Tires
By JS on 12/28/05 15:42 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like this truck and would rate it much higher if I didn't have the suspension problems. I have 35,000 miles on my truck and the front tires (second set) are feathering on the inside half. I have been told several different reasons for the problem ... struts, shocks, alignment. This truck has had problems eating up tires since around 13,000 miles. I have never heard of a vehicle going through shocks or struts that quickly. Also idles rough and "floats" during highway driving due to the suspension problems.

Nice truck.
By Duncan on 01/20/05 14:57 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the truck in July '04, have 10K miles in 6 months and LOVE it. Needs a little better suspension though. Just a bit shaky for such a well thought out vehicle. Perfect combination of city commuter and country hauler. Much better seating for 4 adults than a cramped car, not huge like an SUV, yet still very sporty. Only 1 problem in 6 months but it was a quick fix for the dealer. Bed extender is a "must have"

Great truck, but short on amenities
By ST Driver on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent truck... getting 17-19 MPG keeping the foot out of it -- great for a truck/SUV. Ample torque off the line for merging, but fades a bitabove 50 mph. Interior is comfy, big and handy, but lacks basics like compass/outside temp gauge found std on cars costing half as much. Power mirrors and cruise not enough to justify the $1.5K extra for XLT package - should've bought XLS and had those added for about half that. Zero reliability issues in first 3k miles - fun to drive, but a bit bumpy.

Good Mileage, Great Truck
By TN Truck on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck does it all! Looks great, interior is fine for carting around 5 adults, and the plastic bed means you need not worry about scratching up your paint. Mileage in the 18-20 mpg rane (mixed driving) is achievable if you keep your foot out of it -- tops in its class. Recently got 23 mpg on a trip to Alabama (interstate, 70 mph). 4.0 V6 is powerful enough to pull this 2+ ton truck, and get you in and out of traffic smartly. Base CD player is adequate... but Pioneer system for $200 more would have been better. A comfortable compromise between commuter vehicle, SUV, yet can function as a truck when you need it, which fits in a garage.

Bouncing around
By papasmack on 06/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the sport trac because of its looks, size and features and think that it will suit my purposes of light hauling. I think the interior is average and a bit dated, and pales in comparison to the new f150 interior. I really enjoy the power rear window and its driving comfort. However, I must say suspension has the truck jumping all over on bumpy roads. I would really love this truck if the ride was a bit smoother and not as skiddish.

Not bad for a 16 year old
By JDD 16 on 05/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got this Car for my 16th birthday a year ago. I have had to do nothing but change the oil and Wiperblades. This car is great. I am a piano player who carrys around people and Keyboards, But also have 2 seadoo's. It carry's everything with no problem. I would recommend it to anyone who needs a truck but likes the interior of an SUV. I also had to pull my friends Jeep out of the mud! NO BOUNDERIES.

Great Car, Bad Gas
By Xena on 04/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is very luxurious and spacious. It could fir five heavy adults. Handling is great. The styling and the bed size are perfect. It's perfect to haul furniture, etc. The best part is that it's very high and you can see everything on the road. I love it!!!