Used 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

2004 sport trac
By wpearson1

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my 2004 Sport trac xls new in 2004. After 66,000 plus miles it is still going strong. Replaced tires after 50,000 miles. I have driven through 4 hurricanes to work in 90 plus mile hour winds with no worries about my safety. The truck is paid for and I am sure it will be give me at least another 100,000 miles of transportation. It is a little thirsty at todays gas prices but at least there is no car payment. I have hauled numerous bikes, trees, 25 bags of mulch, lawn mowers, wood, furniture, playsets, without a worry. It is nice to be high up when driving on the highway. I just change the oil and filter per manual and have had no worries.Better than wife's Mercedes in reliability!

Reliability,Safety, Hauling Capabilities, Longevity, Seating Capacity for 5 Adults, Ground clearance. When my wife's Mercedes is in the shop, I flip her the keys knowing that she will not be stranded with my two daughters, as compared to her GLS.

Better Gas mileage

Design Flaw?
By spar07

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife bought her truck about 4 years ago. A little less than 4 months later, the front passenger wheel literally broke off at a speed of approximately 60 mph. The reason for the problem was due to the wheel bearing freezing up. The dealer where she bought the truck was surprised that the vehicle did not roll and do some serious damage to life and property. This winter, just short of 4 years later, the bearing froze up again and was on the brink of breaking once again. The only conclusion is that there has to be some kind of design or material flaw in the materials used for this model. The truck has been inspected in attempt to find the problem. Owners beware!!

The main feature we enjoyed was the back window. I can be rolled down just like a side window. The handling, with the exception of the long turning radius, was good and was not tiring on long trips. This truck is very roomy and can handle a heavy load without straining. It also has an engine kill switch should the truck ever roll over on its side.

Tighten the turning radius, the middle console is flimsy and needs to be strengthened. The front wheels need to be extensively studied to find the cause for wheel bearing freeze up which causes the wheels to lock up. Need to improve electric window controls. Don't always work, especially during cold weather.

Great vehicle
By Em

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Sport Trac is a great vehicle for people who consistently need cargo room even though they live in an urban area or want to avoid the gas-trap of larger trucks. I've used the truck to haul hay and grain for my horses (which it does easily) as well as to take guests and friends to more formal events in town. Very versatile!

Rope toggles on truck bed. Passenger space. Payload capacity.

Including a bed-extender with the truck. Making the coating around the stereo more durable. Making backseat headrests slightly smaller to allow back seats to fold completely flat.

A good mix
By Dan

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love the versatility of this vehicle. I've loaded a fridge, mountain bike & TV stand in the back and carried 4 adults in the cab. You just can't beat that versatility. It's not a superior truck, nor a superior passenger vehicle. If you need a dedicated truck, buy a truck. If you need an SUV to haul the family, buy an SUV. However, if you want a vehicle that performs both jobs well (not perfectly, mind you) then you can't go wrong with a Sport Trac.

I love its ability to haul loads and 4 adults comfortably at once. The interior is dotted with handy storage compartments that minimize clutter. The lockable tonneau cover is handy & can be removed in 2 minutes by one person. The bed extender is great & the nearly indestructible bed is a perk.

Gas mileage is so-so (15-19mpg, though 17 is average). The ride is not the smoothest, but that is a truck for you. Consumers have been spoiled with trucks that ride like sedans. This is a truck, with a truck's chassis. It rides like one. If you want a smooth ride in a 4 door P/U, opt for a Frontier.

Why?
By JB

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ok truck, but a bit small. I'd be a lot happier if the bed were a foot longer. It drives well enough on the freeway, but leans and lurches about on the twisty stuff. Also, beware the W-I-D-E turning radius which means it's not very nimble in parking lots and garages. The stock seats are comfortable. This is a good thing because they have only basic adjustments. The OHC engine performs quite well compared to my old anemic '94 model. Gas mileage is appalling, however, yielding a solid 14.5mpg in pure suburban driving and topping out at 21 for 100% interstate trips. For the gas it burns, I think I'd better off with a full sized truck.

The hinged, locking hard bed cover. Opening rear window. Comfortable driving position. Simple interior trim: no carpet! (No mud, smells, etc.). Acceptable power.

Make the bed one foot longer! Better handling. Better fuel economy.