Used 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Super truck - does everything I need it for
By Zap0007

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my truck since new (2004 ST XLS with a hard Tonto cover and bed extender) I get about 18-24 MPG depending where and how I drive - I would love to had better MPG.

In 135,000 miles all I have had to do is regular oil changes, air filter, liquids, tires, brakes, rotors, and replaced front ball joints (normal maintenance stuff)

It has been very dependable, the power locks have stopped working but that is acceptable I may have them fixed in the future.

I paid less than $18K tax and all out the door new in 2004 and I have gotten my money's worth

I plan to keep mine for another 5 years (my 8 year old grandson) wants it - not sure it will last that long, we shall see. :)

The best vehicle that I have owned!
By Roger Wilson

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck in 2008 at 39k miles. It had a knocking in the front end when I turned corners. I was told it was tie rods and charged 1000 bucks to fix. No problems driving until the familiar clunk happened again last year that was worse with cold weather but eased up in warm. I got under the truck and noticed that the sway bar link rubber gasket had been totally eaten up by the mount. 15 bucks for a new one..then did the other side for fun since it was easy and cheap. I bet that was what it was when I payed 1000 bucks 7 years ago. I am now at 112k and replaced all the shocks, brake pads and the two front rotors though the front right was the only one that needed it. I put new tires on it and it now rides like it did when I bought it in 08. the rear differential seal had a gradual leak that I replaced myself as well this past weekend. It is the XLT with all leather seats and rubber floors. it is so easy to clean and no seat stains! The electric rear window is nice and I love the bed extender. The family can ride in it comfortably when I need them to as well. I thought about trading in for a 2010 but there is nothing wrong with the truck after all the maintenance work has been done. I'm going to keep it for a while longer.

The Best truck out there to day 2013

snow rain

hope you will
injoy your to

scott wv

it has a lot of Favorite Features on it my is fully load

Hope ford bring back)))) the ford sport -trac it the truck your friend from wv scott 10-5-13

Most useful vehicle
By T Culbertson

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the most useful vehicle we've ever owned. Room for 4 or 5 adults, great visibility, good seating position, versatile mini truck bed, quiet cabin for an SUV, has been trouble free. I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins two years ago.....huge ride difference. Pulled 2 heavy trailer loads of household goods across country. It struggled with the weight, but otherwise handled fine. Nice sound system, good fit and finish. I'm averaging 18-19 MPG with mostly highway driving. Ford did a great job on this one!!

Great visibility, good seating, versatility, good quality, sound system, mini pickup bed

More power

Nearly Perfect for Our Family
By BKN6006_IN

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had owned 3 Dodge Dakotas in a row, all bought new, since 1988. The last one, a 2002 (Generation 3) broke me of them for good; far too many problems. I traded it off for a used Sport Trac, which admittedly, scared me as I'd been hit hard with a used car (from a dealer) before! The 04 was previously owned by the dealer's service manager, and had 15K miles on it. It was everything I was looking for, with the exception of no manual transmission available. I had not owned an automatic since 1985! I have had the truck for 2.5 years now, and other than a rude surprise from the front brake calipers seizing and ruining all pads and rotors, there have been no issues at all. Very reliable and smooth.

4wd, 4 doors, locking bed cover, nice interior and easy to clean! CD/tape stereo and nice sound, even in plain sound unit. Good back seat for the boys, seating 5 well. Child locks a must!

Flex-fuel being the joke it is cuts the mpg down to 14 highway, no AC at 60mph. Agree with others, if a V8 car can get more mpg, why can't this truck? A firmware upgrade to the computer, perhaps? A manual tranny would've been nice. Tires other than BadYear. Other than that, great truck for our needs.