Used 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

The Best truck out there to day 2013
By wvguy

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

10-4-13 I love my truck the 2004 ford sport trac 4x4 it rides very good belt very good great on gas & snow rain hope you will injoy your to scott wv

Favorite Features

it has a lot of Favorite Features on it my is fully load

Suggested Improvements

Hope ford bring back)))) the ford sport -trac it the truck your friend from wv scott 10-5-13

Most useful vehicle
By T Culbertson

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the most useful vehicle we've ever owned. Room for 4 or 5 adults, great visibility, good seating position, versatile mini truck bed, quiet cabin for an SUV, has been trouble free. I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins two years ago.....huge ride difference. Pulled 2 heavy trailer loads of household goods across country. It struggled with the weight, but otherwise handled fine. Nice sound system, good fit and finish. I'm averaging 18-19 MPG with mostly highway driving. Ford did a great job on this one!!

Favorite Features

Great visibility, good seating, versatility, good quality, sound system, mini pickup bed

Suggested Improvements

More power

Nearly Perfect for Our Family
By BKN6006_IN

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had owned 3 Dodge Dakotas in a row, all bought new, since 1988. The last one, a 2002 (Generation 3) broke me of them for good; far too many problems. I traded it off for a used Sport Trac, which admittedly, scared me as I'd been hit hard with a used car (from a dealer) before! The 04 was previously owned by the dealer's service manager, and had 15K miles on it. It was everything I was looking for, with the exception of no manual transmission available. I had not owned an automatic since 1985! I have had the truck for 2.5 years now, and other than a rude surprise from the front brake calipers seizing and ruining all pads and rotors, there have been no issues at all. Very reliable and smooth.

Favorite Features

4wd, 4 doors, locking bed cover, nice interior and easy to clean! CD/tape stereo and nice sound, even in plain sound unit. Good back seat for the boys, seating 5 well. Child locks a must!

Suggested Improvements

Flex-fuel being the joke it is cuts the mpg down to 14 highway, no AC at 60mph. Agree with others, if a V8 car can get more mpg, why can't this truck? A firmware upgrade to the computer, perhaps? A manual tranny would've been nice. Tires other than BadYear. Other than that, great truck for our needs.

Great vehicle!
By fordlover

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a great vehicle so far. I think that as long as the routine maintenance is performed that it will last a long time. There have been a few items inside that haven't held up. The paint is cheap around the stereo console, the air vents do not always stay open, and the steering wheel cover is very worn.

Favorite Features

I chose the leather sets and vinyl floor mat. I love how clean the vehicle stays without carpet and other soft surfaces. The leather is comfortable and easy to maintain.

Suggested Improvements

The plastics on the interior and their paint should be improved.

Love it but
By Lil Blu

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I Love the vehicle's utility and versitility. I have done 105 K so far. It fits any size person. Air bag went bad (second time for Ford product). They are on national back order which translates to bad 'air bag' product. Rear blower went bad as well. Needs better gas mileage. Bed with extended will haul drywall & plywood.

Favorite Features

Large mobile rear window is great when hauling moulding. Hard cover acts as trunk. Two outlet charges two cell phones. Step is invaluable to short ladies accessing vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage.