2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
The Best truck out there to day 2013
By wvguy on 10/05/13 13:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

10-4-13 I love my truck the 2004 ford sport trac 4x4 it rides very good belt very good great on gas & snow rain hope you will injoy your to scott wv

Most useful vehicle
By T Culbertson on 08/04/09 16:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the most useful vehicle we've ever owned. Room for 4 or 5 adults, great visibility, good seating position, versatile mini truck bed, quiet cabin for an SUV, has been trouble free. I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins two years ago.....huge ride difference. Pulled 2 heavy trailer loads of household goods across country. It struggled with the weight, but otherwise handled fine. Nice sound system, good fit and finish. I'm averaging 18-19 MPG with mostly highway driving. Ford did a great job on this one!!

Nearly Perfect for Our Family
By BKN6006_IN on 10/25/08 12:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had owned 3 Dodge Dakotas in a row, all bought new, since 1988. The last one, a 2002 (Generation 3) broke me of them for good; far too many problems. I traded it off for a used Sport Trac, which admittedly, scared me as I'd been hit hard with a used car (from a dealer) before! The 04 was previously owned by the dealer's service manager, and had 15K miles on it. It was everything I was looking for, with the exception of no manual transmission available. I had not owned an automatic since 1985! I have had the truck for 2.5 years now, and other than a rude surprise from the front brake calipers seizing and ruining all pads and rotors, there have been no issues at all. Very reliable and smooth.

Great vehicle!
By fordlover on 06/09/08 07:32 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a great vehicle so far. I think that as long as the routine maintenance is performed that it will last a long time. There have been a few items inside that haven't held up. The paint is cheap around the stereo console, the air vents do not always stay open, and the steering wheel cover is very worn.

Love it but
By Lil Blu on 06/04/08 12:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I Love the vehicle's utility and versitility. I have done 105 K so far. It fits any size person. Air bag went bad (second time for Ford product). They are on national back order which translates to bad 'air bag' product. Rear blower went bad as well. Needs better gas mileage. Bed with extended will haul drywall & plywood.

Not perfect, but not bad
By AA on 05/25/08 01:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After 110000M, it's still going strong without any mechanical failures. Just the basic maintenance required. It has excellent fuel consumption, compared to my Tahoe. Of course, you trade off horses when you go into a V6 but it's enough to do most things that can be done with a 4 foot long box. Outside styling looks very sporty and the paint has a tough anti scratch coating. The suspension is a little too soft for spirited driving, but the truck still handles very well on the road. Very comfortable front seats. Dunno about back ones, never been on them. Havent heard complaints about them though. The tail of the truck is a extremely light (fiberglass box), but nothing some sand bags wont fix.

Great Compromise
By D. L. on 02/11/08 11:40 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought in 2007; with 25,000 miles; XLT Premium. Like new. Saved a bunch. Looked at new Jeep four door, too much metal showing, and Dakota four door, noisier and more truck-like. Well pleased with this compromise design. Good looking, solid, quiet. Fits in my garage. Have added K&N air filter, removed resonator, changed to flow- through muffler. 16 mpg in suburban driving.

Very impressed
By dan the man on 09/27/07 20:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned many a truck--and I am very pleased to have purchased this one. My wife actually picked this one out--I was not aware it had a frame which allows it to tow over 5,000 lbs--the current V6 explorers only do 3,500 lbs because of their more uni-body construction (I believe I am correct in this). The rear power window is a god-send! It is large and easy to operate. I love the rubber floors--easy to get messy and easy to clean up! I have a 5x10 trailer and a property that needs a smaller truck to maneuver around the trees so the Sport Track can easily tow the trailer when the load out paces the smaller truck bed and it can also more easily get around the trees on my lot! Buy it!

Modded!
By Math-you on 04/07/07 10:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second SportTrac, and I love it more than the first. Have modified it for more performance, better handling, and appearance.

Bitter Sweet Experience
By Road Warrior on 08/26/06 18:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Enjoyed this vehicle greatly for the first 63,000 miles. Then started having trouble with keeping it balanced. Had tires balanced numerous times, also aligned, purchased new set of OEM tires (old set still had many miles left on them at 65,000 miles), purchased one new rim that might have been bent in a pot hole in Danville, IL. Still the ride is not as good as before the tire rotation that started what I feel is a vibration problem. Don't know what causes this slight vibration, whether it's the vehicle or just transmitting road imperfections. Considering trading for a 2007.