2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
The Best truck out there to day 2013
By wvguy on 10/05/13 13:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

10-4-13 I love my truck the 2004 ford sport trac 4x4 it rides very good belt very good great on gas & snow rain hope you will injoy your to scott wv

This vehicle could have been more reliable
By woodinva on 02/16/12 14:21 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Replaced Good year Tires RTS at 10k ( dealer replace) then again they wore out at 40K . Tranny replaced at 37K miles. Shocks replaced at 40K miles ALl new Front end & ball joints replaced at 40K miles. Bearings replaced at 40k miles. Got new Michelin LTX M+S at 40K miles now rides like a dream if you ROTATE tires every 10k miles.

2004 ford sport trac problems
By hstafford on 01/05/12 14:51 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

1 bought this suv new and have a lot of problems. always had a slight viberation then at about 70,000 miles the lifteres started rattling. took it to a dealer he said there was a sock in the valve cover which had falling down the cost would would be $300.00. aweek later they called said the timing chain was worn out now $1300.00.left it over a week i finally called them & the said fixted & was idling sitting ,then it broke agan, now we are over $3ooo.oo fixed & i took it home not very long & it stoped right in the middle of the road.in the shop again now the cam on the right side worm out. now price up to nearly $4700.00 fixedworkin ok . transmission went out then $2900.more fords for me.

2004 sport trac
By wpearson1 on 10/21/11 12:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my 2004 Sport trac xls new in 2004. After 66,000 plus miles it is still going strong. Replaced tires after 50,000 miles. I have driven through 4 hurricanes to work in 90 plus mile hour winds with no worries about my safety. The truck is paid for and I am sure it will be give me at least another 100,000 miles of transportation. It is a little thirsty at todays gas prices but at least there is no car payment. I have hauled numerous bikes, trees, 25 bags of mulch, lawn mowers, wood, furniture, playsets, without a worry. It is nice to be high up when driving on the highway. I just change the oil and filter per manual and have had no worries.Better than wife's Mercedes in reliability!

Design Flaw?
By spar07 on 02/11/11 10:49 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife bought her truck about 4 years ago. A little less than 4 months later, the front passenger wheel literally broke off at a speed of approximately 60 mph. The reason for the problem was due to the wheel bearing freezing up. The dealer where she bought the truck was surprised that the vehicle did not roll and do some serious damage to life and property. This winter, just short of 4 years later, the bearing froze up again and was on the brink of breaking once again. The only conclusion is that there has to be some kind of design or material flaw in the materials used for this model. The truck has been inspected in attempt to find the problem. Owners beware!!

Keepin it until it dies.
By Excellent Truck on 01/20/10 20:17 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving this truck, however because of poor fuel economy (17 mpg) cant use for commute. Handles great, only two repairs in 5 years. Traded a Toyota Tacoma when I bought Ford new and this truck is hands down better. It is perfect for our needs.

Most useful vehicle
By T Culbertson on 08/04/09 16:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the most useful vehicle we've ever owned. Room for 4 or 5 adults, great visibility, good seating position, versatile mini truck bed, quiet cabin for an SUV, has been trouble free. I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins two years ago.....huge ride difference. Pulled 2 heavy trailer loads of household goods across country. It struggled with the weight, but otherwise handled fine. Nice sound system, good fit and finish. I'm averaging 18-19 MPG with mostly highway driving. Ford did a great job on this one!!

my 2004 Sport Trac Adrenalin
By Scott89racin on 04/19/09 16:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had very few problems with my Sport Trac. Ball joints were replaced at 12k and the transfercase was rebuilt at 29k due to a problem with hanging up in low or not shifting into 4wd at all. Drivers window reg was replaced at 29k and they fixed an evap problem at 35k under warranty.For having such a small engine it still pulls and I have more than once exceeded the 3500 lb towing capacity by 100%(I towed combined 7000 once) The trans cooler is a definete plus for towing. My friends Silverado trans went out going over the divide in Colorado with less miles towing about the same loads as me.(a Jeep) My fluid was cool to the touch while he had smoke comming out of his fill tube!

Nearly Perfect for Our Family
By BKN6006_IN on 10/25/08 12:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had owned 3 Dodge Dakotas in a row, all bought new, since 1988. The last one, a 2002 (Generation 3) broke me of them for good; far too many problems. I traded it off for a used Sport Trac, which admittedly, scared me as I'd been hit hard with a used car (from a dealer) before! The 04 was previously owned by the dealer's service manager, and had 15K miles on it. It was everything I was looking for, with the exception of no manual transmission available. I had not owned an automatic since 1985! I have had the truck for 2.5 years now, and other than a rude surprise from the front brake calipers seizing and ruining all pads and rotors, there have been no issues at all. Very reliable and smooth.

Great vehicle!
By fordlover on 06/09/08 07:32 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a great vehicle so far. I think that as long as the routine maintenance is performed that it will last a long time. There have been a few items inside that haven't held up. The paint is cheap around the stereo console, the air vents do not always stay open, and the steering wheel cover is very worn.