Used 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Great vehicle
By ShaunD

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the Sport Trak Premium on May 30th and have been impressed with the features to date. This truck was the right truck for me since I needed the truck bed for hauling items that would not have fit in the interior of a regular SUV but I didn't need the 5 1/2'- 8' bed on Ford's truck line. The instrument panel is an attractive feature that only serves to highlight the fact that this is a functional vehicle. Not flashy, but functional. Normal acceleration seems a little slow when leaving the stoplight but the acceleration is very smooth and quiet from what I have noticed.

Favorite Features

The rear window function is really nice

Suggested Improvements

Improve the door handles and door closing. You almost get the feeling that the door handles are cheap plastic and the doors are flimsy

nothing but trouble
By KELLY

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it New and it has been a headache. Door locks lock when I turn the ignition on when it is cold out,key does not turn in door or rear door when it is cold . Doors all freeze and i have to pry them open with a chisel. Compass does not work,shows a different direction every day even though it is parked in the same spot. Fuel gauge shows full then suddenley drops to 1/2 tank,not accurate at all and clock will not stay set. Tires lose 10 lbs of air a week and now the alternator is bad at 15,000 miles. Runs real rough and shaky when I first start it. Tailgate door falls off if you don't hold it real tight and carefully open . Parking lightbulbs keep burning out and have to be

Favorite Features

awesome looks,comfort,good heat

Suggested Improvements

electrical system,accessories and tires

Strange Mix
By Onitnerr

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Premium 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 2003 Sport Trac is a strange mix. It looks good on the outside but once inside you realize that there is little or no room to reach down and adjust the seat settings or power bolsters. The door is so close to the seat itself that your arm can become trapped. Interior could use some dressing up. Even the premium 6 cd in dash sound system is blah to look at

Favorite Features

Look, styling, ride is ok would be better with different tires, rear power window

Suggested Improvements

cabin width, more amenities, power tonneau lift, v-8, Homelink, independent rear suspension, navigation system

WARNING THIS THING TIPS EASILY
By Corinnenr

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had my Sport Trac for less than 3 weeks when i got inot a major accidnet, but it was one that shouldn't have happened. I barely jerked my sterring wheel when all of a sudden my truck is going all over the freeway the next thing we know we hit the back side end of the the vehicle to our right then we kind of spun around and then flipped 5 times. The only good thing i can say is if the cab hadn't held up so well me and my friend would be dead right now.

Favorite Features

If I had to give a favorite feature to this vehicle it would have to be the cab holding up well when it tipped but then again the airbags never even opened.

Suggested Improvements

tighter steering

Good Car
By Jennifer

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Over all the car is pretty good. It was my first car, and brand new there are just a few things I would change.

Favorite Features

Back sliding window.

Suggested Improvements

On the dash around the radio, the facing started coming off not too long after I got the car. And I know this is no deciding factor, but the lighting isn't very good for using the fold down mirrors. May sound stupid but it gets really annoying.