Used 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer-sport-trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Want to downsize to one vehicle?
By tracker464

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The ST is about two-thirds car and one- third truck, which, along with its great looks, is why I bought it. We could sell a car and a truck and cut down on time-consuming checkups and maintenance/repair costs, tags, car washes, etc. It doesn't ride quite as smoothly as a luxury car, but it's not as rough as a regular pickup either. It is so versatile, and you can see that the car/truck combo is really catching on by the dramatically increasing number of them on the road. If, like me, you just don't need something as big as an F150 (or similar) crew cab, I think the ST offers the most room and comfort of any smaller size crew cab out there.

Favorite Features

The whole car/truck combination in such a great-looking package; the versatile OEM tonneau cover; the electric rear window

Suggested Improvements

Put grab handles and floor mat anchors in back seat area like earlier models had; resolve peeling radio bezel and steering wheel issues; address rollover concerns

very satisfied
By ta

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

purchased a used sport trac,03,9000 miles, love it, very handy auto/truck. drives and rides much better than the rest,colarado,tacoma,frontier, etc. more room in the back seat. the bed holds enough for the home owner/sports men. wish it came with the V8, under powered put adaquite. gas mileage about 16 around town 19 trip.

Favorite Features

the compact size makes it great around town. lockable tail gate,lockable bed cover, and the rear window which goes down is the best.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, V8, and upgraded shocks. ad some 04 explorer improvements. a must is back up sensors and onboard computer.

Fun Truck
By nyricanf15

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Never thought of owning a truck until I drove the Sport Trac. It had everything I needed from comfort to cargo capacity.

Favorite Features

I love the locking tailgate and the rear seat radio/climate control.

Suggested Improvements

A 2nd engine option.

Love it, but I did overpay
By washatkc

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This baby handles well. It is fun to drive and I love the original look. Easy to clean, gas milage for a truck/SUV is solid. I am happy with my Sport-trac, just realize I was over charged. So if you are buying in the KC area beware Rusty Eck.

Favorite Features

Love that the back window goes down. Nice to have room for all 5 of us and have a pickup bed.

Suggested Improvements

Not sure, better gas milage. Maybe add a electric version.

Nice Family Truck
By torelico

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We needed a vehicle with four doors, and wanted a truck, and I had wanted an Explorer for years. Voila - Everything we needed/wanted in one vehicle. MPG isn't as good as stated on the sticker, but otherwise, great vehicle!

Favorite Features

Four doors with a truck bed

Suggested Improvements

MPG