Used 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Versatile Truck, but could handle better
By Erik

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Sport Trac for over two years now, and it's been a very versatile truck for our family. We were originally planning on purchasing a Ranger, but the Sport Trac won us over with the larger cab - even with the shorter bed. We drive it about 15,000 miles a year as our only vehicle, and have had no problems with it - our 30,000 mile check came back in shipshape condition. Unfortunately, an idiot turned in front of us and caused a wreck in our truck - however she ended up causing more damage to her car. The ST basically has nothing more than fender and grill damage, and the only injury was a hand fracture - and the airbags did not deploy.

Plenty of room in the cab; not a very luxurious cab but I don't cringe getting it dirty with the rubber floor. Front handlebars very convenient. Rear power window is great for air circulation. The composite bed keeps the bed free of scratches.

The V-6 engine is adequate but seems to want some more power. MPG is very poor ($40+ to fill the tank in July 2005!). The handling is the biggest drawback - there are aftermarket sway bars that apparently fix much of the body roll, but it should have been standard from the factory.

My Baby Monster
By Kathy Dunn

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Having been in a bad car accident in 1995, I wanted another SUV that was BIG and SAFE. My husband was in the mood for a pick-up truck and, to my sadness, traded in my Explorer for a Chevy S-10 pick-up. After a year of me badgering my husband about trading in my Explorer that we got interest-free, he FINALLY broke down and took me to another dealer and I saw the "car of my dreams" -- an Explorer Sport-Trac. Since we need a truck bed where we live and have to bring our trash to a dumpster, the Sport-Trac solved all my problems. It gave me back my Explorer as well as giving me a truck bed in the back. I love my Explorer. It handles real good in snow. Most importantly, I feel SAFE!

It gets me out of the house during snow storms. CD player. Quiet engine.

Steering wheel blocks speed odometer and other dials.

My Sport Trac
By brett chapman

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I use this truck for my sales job and for a multitude of other things. It is a great design in terms of versatility. It carries my sales tools, kayaks, bikes and camping gear with ease. I can use it to haul yard waste to the dump in the morning and then take my wife out to dinner in the evening in style.

CD Player. Moon Roof. Heated Seats.

Carpeted flooring. Paint protection. Better factory tires. Longer warranty.

Extreme disappointment
By disappointed

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had nothing but problems with the vehicle performance. I am sure I was sold a lemon. I love the looks of the Sport Trac, but the rest of the vehicle is another story. Very hard idling, almost stalling, sputtering down the road, malfunctioning windows, turn signals and seat belts. Hope all of you have better luck than I.

Use American Motor and Transmission. Don't sell the vehicle as American if it's not!

2003 ST
By TChapman

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This my second Sport Trac and I love this vehicle. It fits all of my needs with its bed and interior room. I have had no issues with it since purchased.

Truck bed

Made the whole truck a little wider