Used 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Great Truck!
By David Brasefield

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is fantastic! Nice looking also. 4 wheel drive works great, especially in New England snow. Ride is pretty good for a truck. V-6 is very smooth but V-8 would be nicer. Very versatile. Full 4 doors and backseat, along with the truck bed, make this very versatile. Make sure you get tonneau cover. You can haul stuff from the grocery store, home/garden center, then take 4/5 friends out to dinner. Interior is well laid out but same as Ford Ranger. A little narrow for larger folks. I'm 6'4". Plenty of leg room with seat all the way back and adjustable steering column. This truck has been extremely reliable. Not a single mechanical problem. Only the cheap sunglass holder broke. Highly recommend!

Great looks. Versatility (4 doors, full back seat, pick up bed). Tonneau cover, lined bed, rear window auto up/down. Reliability. Gas mileage isn't bad for truck. Smooth V-6.

More engine power (V-8). Wider interior. (I believe 2006/2007 redesign addresses this). Independent rear suspension.

Love my Sport Trac
By Lance

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Sport Trac for three years now and have to say that it is one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. I've buried it to the axles, had a front end collision (w/o airbag deployment), pulled a 3,500 boat thousands of miles and it runs today like the day I bought it. I love the styling and functionality as well. I can take it on a date to the philharmonic or to the local nursery and load it up with plants in the backseat and mulch in the bed.

The styling, functionality and reliability.

Rear independent suspension, more stability (less roll) and a bit more power.

It's just what I wanted
By david

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My experience with Ford Sport Trac has been one of the best experiences I have had in my life. I drive it often, even on trips. I have had no problems other than normal maintenance. It is what I needed. Living in the country area I needed 4X4, wanted no carpet and be able to carry my grandkids. It does it all, and since I am retired I just have small jobs for the yard and such and the bed it just perfect, you don't have to worry about the bed scratches and the tie down would allow you to carry a lot more than you think. My wife loves it and has no problem getting to and back from work in the snow, and we can go out in the field with no problems.

4 door. 4X4. No carpet. Has all the comforts. Great reliability. Good gas mileage for a 4X4 and uses regular gas.

I replaced the shocks and tires. The original shocks and tires were not what I wanted in the ride. Now I have more comfort along with no loss of control or ability to get through snow or mud.

Kevin's Sport Trac
By Kevin

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this vehicle for 2 years, I have not had any mechanical problems, just routine maintenance. It has fairly comfortable seats, but could use a little more power.

Auto headlights, auto door locking feature,DC outlet in the bed, integrated bed liner,dash displays.

More power, more torque.

Good Car
By Jennifer

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Over all the car is pretty good. It was my first car, and brand new there are just a few things I would change.

Back sliding window.

On the dash around the radio, the facing started coming off not too long after I got the car. And I know this is no deciding factor, but the lighting isn't very good for using the fold down mirrors. May sound stupid but it gets really annoying.