Used 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Ol' Reliable
By Chattavegas

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased from private owner at 70K miles. Needed vehicle to lug my two kids (5 and 2). This truck has been great for that. Can take the abuse-- though resale with the cloth interior will be nauseating. For its size and v6 engine, gets poor gas mileage--on par with v8s that are much bigger, heavier. Cheap materials on dash and cabin--but economical. Paint coming off of center stack facing. But after 132K miles, engine still strong and is very reliable, so no complaints there.

Venting rear window, bed extender gate, bedliner, reliable engine

Why such bad gas mileage in a v6 (which is underpowered anyway)? Having seen the new models, looks like they are moving away from the "Ranger" cabin materials to nicer materials this truck deserves. Few gripes, but highly recommended vehicle!

Get this truck
By rookie

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this truck for 2 weeks. I bought used with 96,000 miles as my first vehicle and I've put over 200 miles on it already just having fun in it. When I bought it it needed a new rack and pinion and new rear axle hose which the dealer replaced for free. Other than that it has nothing wrong with it. I love the truck so much and would recomend it to anyone. I just wish the outside looked a little more eye catching but the newer ones do

4x4. Back window, automatic diming rearview mirror, sound system. Heat and air conditioner, both are outstanding

Better mpg if possible

My First New Vehicle
By cozmos

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this Sport Trac even after 5 years. It is very comfortable in the front and back seats and I still think it is the sharpest looking truck on the road. It also has plenty of power for me. The ride has some choppiness and side to side rock that I don't like. I have had no maintenance yet.

A/C and audio for the rear passengers, rear power window, carpeted floor mats with no carpet on the floor. Heated seats and automatic headlights. Perfect field of vision in all directions.

Decent gas mileage and make the truck a little wider. Maybe that would keep it from rocking side to side.

Texas Sport Trac
By Austin Guy

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Adrenalin addition Sport Trac for 4.5 years. I am very impressed with the reliablity and versatilty of this SUV. Besides routine maintenance I have only had to replace the battery. Love the fact I can throw firewood in the back and travel with 4 other people without having to own a crew cab truck. Minor trim issues but more irritating than anything. Ungainly design, gas mileage is the same as a larger SUV, needs more horsepower..but overall, very happy.

Sliding rear-window, locking tonneau cover, leather seats, upgraded Pioneer stereo system, versatility.

Too narrow considering the length, too much gap between body and tires. The material around knobs has worn off, the leather on my steering wheel is wearing off (is this spray on?), the O in my Explorer fell off, one of the license plate lights just fell off. Minor stuff...

The best of both worlds
By TNTrac

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was tired of maintaining both a car to carry folks in and a truck to carry big things in, so I bought my Sport Trac almost three years ago. It's the vehicle of choice when the family gets together to go out or on vacation. Backseat riders say the backseat is as roomy or roomier than that of any car I have ever owned. I love the looks of a truck, and the Sport Trac lets me drive a car/SUV that looks like a truck. The small bed is sufficient for my needs, although I admit it may well not be for some folks. Also, I have noticed that the number of men and women who drive the Sport Tracs I see seem to be pretty equal, so the Sport Trac is in many ways a crossover vehicle.

Power back window, locking and folding factory tonneau, rear seat that holds adults comfortably for long distances, exterior appearance.

Poor standard stereo/speakers, cheap/hard plastic interior, no rear assist handles, leather steering wheel and trim around radio controls flake/scar easily--generally the interior is pretty cheap for a not-so-cheap vehicle.

• SUV