2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
Can't Be Trusted In The Heat of the Day
By smartsnacker on 06/10/12 19:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Over the past two years, my 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac seems to get vapor lock in the summer. But it doesn't happen all the time. When it happens, I'll take it into the dealer, but the service team can't duplicate the problem. What happens (sometimes) is that I'll drive it to the store (maybe 6 miles), turn it off and shop for maybe 10 minutes. When I return to the vehicle and start it, it will sometimes not start, or, if it starts, it won't let me go over 20 mph. I had the fuel pump replaced in March (it's now June) and that seemed to help. But the other day, out of the blue, it happened again! We also had a new fuel filter installed last March as well. Why does this happen?

Perfect urban combo rig
By ssnydes1 on 08/31/11 16:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this rig with 70K easy miles to go in the winter to a project in Northern Canada. It was outfitted with most of the options available including a nice stainless front pushbar/grill. Has meaty offroad tires and handles perfect in the snow with a quiet and comfortable ride. It is limited in the amount you can haul, but it has creature comforts of the $40K crew cabs that are selling now. Ultimately I will use it to haul around a light trailer with a WW1 biplane replica to airshows with my friends and it is perfect. Buy it if you need the crew capacity and limited hauling space. I get in the upper 20's fuel economy on the highway. Around town...ouch! It has been perfect in the snow.

Pushes dirt not just pavement!
By foobld on 03/31/10 13:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I bought the low miles ST after we had another child and an ext cab truck wasn't big enough. I was hesitant at first but quickly fell in love with it soon after. I replaced the tires with All Terrain tires which made a big improvement off road. This truck is awesome on and off road, just remember it's a truck and not a corvette so it doesn't ride on rails. We will keep this as long as the engine goes, and then prob swap out with another. Buy it you wont be sorry!

nothing but trouble
By KELLY on 03/10/09 05:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it New and it has been a headache. Door locks lock when I turn the ignition on when it is cold out,key does not turn in door or rear door when it is cold . Doors all freeze and i have to pry them open with a chisel. Compass does not work,shows a different direction every day even though it is parked in the same spot. Fuel gauge shows full then suddenley drops to 1/2 tank,not accurate at all and clock will not stay set. Tires lose 10 lbs of air a week and now the alternator is bad at 15,000 miles. Runs real rough and shaky when I first start it. Tailgate door falls off if you don't hold it real tight and carefully open . Parking lightbulbs keep burning out and have to be

Ol' Reliable
By Chattavegas on 01/17/09 07:42 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased from private owner at 70K miles. Needed vehicle to lug my two kids (5 and 2). This truck has been great for that. Can take the abuse-- though resale with the cloth interior will be nauseating. For its size and v6 engine, gets poor gas mileage--on par with v8s that are much bigger, heavier. Cheap materials on dash and cabin--but economical. Paint coming off of center stack facing. But after 132K miles, engine still strong and is very reliable, so no complaints there.

Get this truck
By rookie on 11/24/08 09:01 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this truck for 2 weeks. I bought used with 96,000 miles as my first vehicle and I've put over 200 miles on it already just having fun in it. When I bought it it needed a new rack and pinion and new rear axle hose which the dealer replaced for free. Other than that it has nothing wrong with it. I love the truck so much and would recomend it to anyone. I just wish the outside looked a little more eye catching but the newer ones do

My First New Vehicle
By cozmos on 07/28/08 11:33 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this Sport Trac even after 5 years. It is very comfortable in the front and back seats and I still think it is the sharpest looking truck on the road. It also has plenty of power for me. The ride has some choppiness and side to side rock that I don't like. I have had no maintenance yet.

Texas Sport Trac
By Austin Guy on 11/20/07 16:05 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Adrenalin addition Sport Trac for 4.5 years. I am very impressed with the reliablity and versatilty of this SUV. Besides routine maintenance I have only had to replace the battery. Love the fact I can throw firewood in the back and travel with 4 other people without having to own a crew cab truck. Minor trim issues but more irritating than anything. Ungainly design, gas mileage is the same as a larger SUV, needs more horsepower..but overall, very happy.

The best of both worlds
By TNTrac on 07/19/06 16:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was tired of maintaining both a car to carry folks in and a truck to carry big things in, so I bought my Sport Trac almost three years ago. It's the vehicle of choice when the family gets together to go out or on vacation. Backseat riders say the backseat is as roomy or roomier than that of any car I have ever owned. I love the looks of a truck, and the Sport Trac lets me drive a car/SUV that looks like a truck. The small bed is sufficient for my needs, although I admit it may well not be for some folks. Also, I have noticed that the number of men and women who drive the Sport Tracs I see seem to be pretty equal, so the Sport Trac is in many ways a crossover vehicle.

Great Truck!
By David Brasefield on 06/07/06 13:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is fantastic! Nice looking also. 4 wheel drive works great, especially in New England snow. Ride is pretty good for a truck. V-6 is very smooth but V-8 would be nicer. Very versatile. Full 4 doors and backseat, along with the truck bed, make this very versatile. Make sure you get tonneau cover. You can haul stuff from the grocery store, home/garden center, then take 4/5 friends out to dinner. Interior is well laid out but same as Ford Ranger. A little narrow for larger folks. I'm 6'4". Plenty of leg room with seat all the way back and adjustable steering column. This truck has been extremely reliable. Not a single mechanical problem. Only the cheap sunglass holder broke. Highly recommend!