Used 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Love my Sport Trac!
By lindalees

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sport Trac in May 2003,and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I am still driving it and it just rolled 189,000. I love the "truck". I have not had any problems with it at all. I plan on driving it til she can't be driven anymore. I drive it long distance (1500 miles round trip) atleast 2 times or more a year. The only complaint I have is that the gas mileage is not as good as it use to be due to the ethanol gas that it has to use.I use to get 25+ highway, but now it's about 21.I am not scared to drive it anywhere I have to go. I really hate to think I'll have to replace it someday, and unfortunately can't buy another one. There is nothing out there I want. Love it!

Love the rear electric window... The motor runs like a champ and gets up and goes when needed... Love the keypad entry..... Love the hard tonneau cover with locks, and the locking tailgate... Just love the truck...period!!!

Ford need to bring it back on the market!!!

Can't Be Trusted In The Heat of the Day
By smartsnacker

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Over the past two years, my 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac seems to get vapor lock in the summer. But it doesn't happen all the time. When it happens, I'll take it into the dealer, but the service team can't duplicate the problem. What happens (sometimes) is that I'll drive it to the store (maybe 6 miles), turn it off and shop for maybe 10 minutes. When I return to the vehicle and start it, it will sometimes not start, or, if it starts, it won't let me go over 20 mph. I had the fuel pump replaced in March (it's now June) and that seemed to help. But the other day, out of the blue, it happened again! We also had a new fuel filter installed last March as well. Why does this happen?

Front seats are really comfortable. 4 Wheel Drive is great in the snow. I love being up high when I drive. Too bad they stopped making this model. O well, I have 84K miles on my 2003, and hope it will last me for a few more years. Next vehicle will probably be a Ford F150 Extended Cab.

Doesn't matter since they've stopped making this vehicle. Too bad too.

Perfect urban combo rig
By ssnydes1

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this rig with 70K easy miles to go in the winter to a project in Northern Canada. It was outfitted with most of the options available including a nice stainless front pushbar/grill. Has meaty offroad tires and handles perfect in the snow with a quiet and comfortable ride. It is limited in the amount you can haul, but it has creature comforts of the $40K crew cabs that are selling now. Ultimately I will use it to haul around a light trailer with a WW1 biplane replica to airshows with my friends and it is perfect. Buy it if you need the crew capacity and limited hauling space. I get in the upper 20's fuel economy on the highway. Around town...ouch! It has been perfect in the snow.

Power rear window. Comfortable and quiet cab. Great highway fuel economy. Extra cargo covered/open capacity. 4X4 handling in the snow. Lots of interior space.

Cruise control and remote entry, that's all! Seat fabric--I added 3/4" custom sheepskin seat covers.

Pushes dirt not just pavement!
By foobld

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLS 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I bought the low miles ST after we had another child and an ext cab truck wasn't big enough. I was hesitant at first but quickly fell in love with it soon after. I replaced the tires with All Terrain tires which made a big improvement off road. This truck is awesome on and off road, just remember it's a truck and not a corvette so it doesn't ride on rails. We will keep this as long as the engine goes, and then prob swap out with another. Buy it you wont be sorry!

4x4! 5 speed manual(great for hill climbing off road). Rear sliding window.Composite bed with power outlet. Visibility. No carpet(its how all trucks should be)!!!

Trim around stereo, Manual hubs, stereo and speakers(Brand new ones prob have better anyways) Detachable sway bars for off road use.

nothing but trouble
By KELLY

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab XLT 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it New and it has been a headache. Door locks lock when I turn the ignition on when it is cold out,key does not turn in door or rear door when it is cold . Doors all freeze and i have to pry them open with a chisel. Compass does not work,shows a different direction every day even though it is parked in the same spot. Fuel gauge shows full then suddenley drops to 1/2 tank,not accurate at all and clock will not stay set. Tires lose 10 lbs of air a week and now the alternator is bad at 15,000 miles. Runs real rough and shaky when I first start it. Tailgate door falls off if you don't hold it real tight and carefully open . Parking lightbulbs keep burning out and have to be

awesome looks,comfort,good heat