Used 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
My First New Vehicle
By cozmos

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this Sport Trac even after 5 years. It is very comfortable in the front and back seats and I still think it is the sharpest looking truck on the road. It also has plenty of power for me. The ride has some choppiness and side to side rock that I don't like. I have had no maintenance yet.

Favorite Features

A/C and audio for the rear passengers, rear power window, carpeted floor mats with no carpet on the floor. Heated seats and automatic headlights. Perfect field of vision in all directions.

Suggested Improvements

Decent gas mileage and make the truck a little wider. Maybe that would keep it from rocking side to side.

Ol' Reliable
By Chattavegas

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased from private owner at 70K miles. Needed vehicle to lug my two kids (5 and 2). This truck has been great for that. Can take the abuse-- though resale with the cloth interior will be nauseating. For its size and v6 engine, gets poor gas mileage--on par with v8s that are much bigger, heavier. Cheap materials on dash and cabin--but economical. Paint coming off of center stack facing. But after 132K miles, engine still strong and is very reliable, so no complaints there.

Favorite Features

Venting rear window, bed extender gate, bedliner, reliable engine

Suggested Improvements

Why such bad gas mileage in a v6 (which is underpowered anyway)? Having seen the new models, looks like they are moving away from the "Ranger" cabin materials to nicer materials this truck deserves. Few gripes, but highly recommended vehicle!

The best of both worlds
By TNTrac

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was tired of maintaining both a car to carry folks in and a truck to carry big things in, so I bought my Sport Trac almost three years ago. It's the vehicle of choice when the family gets together to go out or on vacation. Backseat riders say the backseat is as roomy or roomier than that of any car I have ever owned. I love the looks of a truck, and the Sport Trac lets me drive a car/SUV that looks like a truck. The small bed is sufficient for my needs, although I admit it may well not be for some folks. Also, I have noticed that the number of men and women who drive the Sport Tracs I see seem to be pretty equal, so the Sport Trac is in many ways a crossover vehicle.

Favorite Features

Power back window, locking and folding factory tonneau, rear seat that holds adults comfortably for long distances, exterior appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Poor standard stereo/speakers, cheap/hard plastic interior, no rear assist handles, leather steering wheel and trim around radio controls flake/scar easily--generally the interior is pretty cheap for a not-so-cheap vehicle.

Love my Sport Trac!
By lindalees

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sport Trac in May 2003,and it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I am still driving it and it just rolled 189,000. I love the "truck". I have not had any problems with it at all. I plan on driving it til she can't be driven anymore. I drive it long distance (1500 miles round trip) atleast 2 times or more a year. The only complaint I have is that the gas mileage is not as good as it use to be due to the ethanol gas that it has to use.I use to get 25+ highway, but now it's about 21.I am not scared to drive it anywhere I have to go. I really hate to think I'll have to replace it someday, and unfortunately can't buy another one. There is nothing out there I want. Love it!

Favorite Features

Love the rear electric window... The motor runs like a champ and gets up and goes when needed... Love the keypad entry..... Love the hard tonneau cover with locks, and the locking tailgate... Just love the truck...period!!!

Suggested Improvements

Ford need to bring it back on the market!!!

Texas Sport Trac
By Austin Guy

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Adrenalin addition Sport Trac for 4.5 years. I am very impressed with the reliablity and versatilty of this SUV. Besides routine maintenance I have only had to replace the battery. Love the fact I can throw firewood in the back and travel with 4 other people without having to own a crew cab truck. Minor trim issues but more irritating than anything. Ungainly design, gas mileage is the same as a larger SUV, needs more horsepower..but overall, very happy.

Favorite Features

Sliding rear-window, locking tonneau cover, leather seats, upgraded Pioneer stereo system, versatility.

Suggested Improvements

Too narrow considering the length, too much gap between body and tires. The material around knobs has worn off, the leather on my steering wheel is wearing off (is this spray on?), the O in my Explorer fell off, one of the license plate lights just fell off. Minor stuff...