2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
Ol' Reliable
By Chattavegas on 01/17/09 07:42 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased from private owner at 70K miles. Needed vehicle to lug my two kids (5 and 2). This truck has been great for that. Can take the abuse-- though resale with the cloth interior will be nauseating. For its size and v6 engine, gets poor gas mileage--on par with v8s that are much bigger, heavier. Cheap materials on dash and cabin--but economical. Paint coming off of center stack facing. But after 132K miles, engine still strong and is very reliable, so no complaints there.

My First New Vehicle
By cozmos on 07/28/08 11:33 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this Sport Trac even after 5 years. It is very comfortable in the front and back seats and I still think it is the sharpest looking truck on the road. It also has plenty of power for me. The ride has some choppiness and side to side rock that I don't like. I have had no maintenance yet.

Texas Sport Trac
By Austin Guy on 11/20/07 16:05 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Adrenalin addition Sport Trac for 4.5 years. I am very impressed with the reliablity and versatilty of this SUV. Besides routine maintenance I have only had to replace the battery. Love the fact I can throw firewood in the back and travel with 4 other people without having to own a crew cab truck. Minor trim issues but more irritating than anything. Ungainly design, gas mileage is the same as a larger SUV, needs more horsepower..but overall, very happy.

The best of both worlds
By TNTrac on 07/19/06 16:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was tired of maintaining both a car to carry folks in and a truck to carry big things in, so I bought my Sport Trac almost three years ago. It's the vehicle of choice when the family gets together to go out or on vacation. Backseat riders say the backseat is as roomy or roomier than that of any car I have ever owned. I love the looks of a truck, and the Sport Trac lets me drive a car/SUV that looks like a truck. The small bed is sufficient for my needs, although I admit it may well not be for some folks. Also, I have noticed that the number of men and women who drive the Sport Tracs I see seem to be pretty equal, so the Sport Trac is in many ways a crossover vehicle.

Love my Sport Trac
By Lance on 03/06/06 11:09 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Sport Trac for three years now and have to say that it is one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. I've buried it to the axles, had a front end collision (w/o airbag deployment), pulled a 3,500 boat thousands of miles and it runs today like the day I bought it. I love the styling and functionality as well. I can take it on a date to the philharmonic or to the local nursery and load it up with plants in the backseat and mulch in the bed.

Kevin's Sport Trac
By Kevin on 11/16/05 13:41 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this vehicle for 2 years, I have not had any mechanical problems, just routine maintenance. It has fairly comfortable seats, but could use a little more power.

Versatile Truck, but could handle better
By Erik on 07/28/05 00:33 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Sport Trac for over two years now, and it's been a very versatile truck for our family. We were originally planning on purchasing a Ranger, but the Sport Trac won us over with the larger cab - even with the shorter bed. We drive it about 15,000 miles a year as our only vehicle, and have had no problems with it - our 30,000 mile check came back in shipshape condition. Unfortunately, an idiot turned in front of us and caused a wreck in our truck - however she ended up causing more damage to her car. The ST basically has nothing more than fender and grill damage, and the only injury was a hand fracture - and the airbags did not deploy.

Extreme disappointment
By disappointed on 12/28/04 16:35 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had nothing but problems with the vehicle performance. I am sure I was sold a lemon. I love the looks of the Sport Trac, but the rest of the vehicle is another story. Very hard idling, almost stalling, sputtering down the road, malfunctioning windows, turn signals and seat belts. Hope all of you have better luck than I.

2003 ST
By TChapman on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This my second Sport Trac and I love this vehicle. It fits all of my needs with its bed and interior room. I have had no issues with it since purchased.

Want to downsize to one vehicle?
By tracker464 on 07/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The ST is about two-thirds car and one- third truck, which, along with its great looks, is why I bought it. We could sell a car and a truck and cut down on time-consuming checkups and maintenance/repair costs, tags, car washes, etc. It doesn't ride quite as smoothly as a luxury car, but it's not as rough as a regular pickup either. It is so versatile, and you can see that the car/truck combo is really catching on by the dramatically increasing number of them on the road. If, like me, you just don't need something as big as an F150 (or similar) crew cab, I think the ST offers the most room and comfort of any smaller size crew cab out there.