Used 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

A Long Wait....A Quick Disappointment
By KO4321

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This brand new truck was purchased as a college graduation present to myself. Nine months later, I had to be given a brand new engine. My dealership was excellent through all of my problems. But, I felt Ford should have shown me some type of support (even just a letter of apology). A year and a half and 2 recalls later, I am very disappointed not only in the quality of this vehicle but in the lack of customer service that Ford has shown me. Without the tonneau cover, the back is too light and slides in rain and snow.I am young, and will own several more cars in the future. However, none of them will be a Ford.

Favorite Features

Overall look and style.

Suggested Improvements

Overall reliability. Also, do more to show your customers you really care about their satisfaction and safety.

A Good SUV/Truck
By Chris500

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This has been one of the most comfortable vehicles I've ever owned. It seems to fit like a glove. He has performed flawlessly and has never had to return to the dealer for anything. It doesn't get quite the mileage I was hoping for, but it is very reliable and stable on the road. Most everyone I've met has liked it and they comment on how smoothly it rides.

Favorite Features

Gauges are very easy to read. Tonneau cover appears waterproof. Provides plenty of security for the pickup bed.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better, but the V- 6 SOHC is strong.

REAL truck wanted
By CityslickerFramhand

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

An OK mom-mobile; kids in a true back seat with room for an antique chest in the toy-sized bed. 4.0 L engine: disappointing 16-17 mpg even with the 5-speed manual tranny, especially considering my 1991 5-spd Explorer DID get 20mpg. Still annoying: Ford's windshield washer first wipes dry glass, THEN squirts fluid. New annoyance: Ford's making AC cycle in all positions except heat-to-floor; no "fresh air to face."

Favorite Features

truckbed 12-V powerport

Suggested Improvements

- bring back front locking hubs - squirt washer fluid, THEN swipe wipers - rear-seat 12-V powerport - ability to illuminate truckbed light separately from cab lights - true truckbed; not this toy-sized thing

Have you replaced the Ford brakes lately
By ekim

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Paint is crap and from what I am told on both the black and dark blue. The brake pads are inadequate. The customer service Ford provides is substandard at best.

Favorite Features

I like the concept of the vehicle. The bed cover is great because it can be easily removed and installed. Like the power back window.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint, brake pads that will last more than 25,000 miles. Heated seats would be nice. Ford Service has to make improvements or they will continue to lose consumers - without a doubt. The have a long way to go before they reach the quality service of BMW or Acura.

Love my little truck
By JCJsMom

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Ive never personally owned a truck/SUV BUT I would do it again in a heart beat. I love this little truck with a huge heart. Has everything I wanted on a truck..except the size and bulkiness. I can carry what I need to and still have the inside room for 4-5 people. The rear air and radio with ear phone plug in is great for the kids..BUT I love my little truck just to drive!

Favorite Features

I like the electric mirror. It has comfortable seating. The fog lights are very helpful when high beams are not needed. I also have the added pleasure of a sun roof. The bed extender and rear air and radio make life so much easier!

Suggested Improvements

can't think of any