Used 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Sport Trac Review
By drkms

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this truck almost 2 years and still like it a lot. I like the versatility of having a smaller truck that I can haul stuff around in while not having to drive a big monster of a vehicle.

Favorite Features

Love the vinyl floors (so easy to clean!) and the back window going all the way down.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise is a problem. It's hard for me to hear my handsfree cell phone system sometimes.

Sport Track- Reliable tough and fun
By freddy3stix

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great all around vehicle. 50,000 miles with no problems. 20mpg is a bit tough to take for me as a commuter, but I can't give it up.

Favorite Features

Versatility. It's a sport ute, pick- up, luxury car all wrapped up in one.

Suggested Improvements

The dash material, which is a silver plastic film adhered to plastic does not wear well. I have had some bubbling and separation of this finish and these sport look terrible. The finish needs to be much tougher. Other than that, it's great.

Fun and Conentional
By SareBear

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm a college student and several times a year I am in need of a vehicle that can move me from apartment to apartment. Also important to me is a comfortable ride for my 3 large dogs. With the Sport Trac, you have it all. With the tonneau cover you can put anything at all in the bed. Once the seats in the back are folded down, the dogs love standing back there and stichink their heads out the rear power window. This is my first SUV/Truck and I absolutely love it!

2002 Sport Trac 4x4
By GAG

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just traded in my Sport Trac 4x4 with 24,000 miles. Overall, I liked everything about the vehicle. However, I felt I should let others know that it can become very unstable at highway speeds. I nearly lost control of the truck traveling on a curve at 70 MPH on an urban freeway after hitting an uneven expansion joint. The truck ended up skipping halfway into the adjacent lane before I could regain control. Driving at highway speeds on patched pavement with potholes and during windy conditions requires two hands on the wheel to stabilize the vehicle. Driving below 60 MPH, the Sprot Trac handled fine but truck-like.

Favorite Features

Audiofile radio, fold flat rear seats, crew cab design, sunroof, cargo cage extender.

Suggested Improvements

Switching to the current (2002 to present) Explorer suspension would really make this vehicle handle great. Including an AWD mode similer to the Explorer or Mountaineer.

Great Concept
By jim1200

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This SUV/Truck has great flexibility, ride and interior space. The fuel mileage is not so great (unless you have a 5 speed manual over long distances) and although I like the performance, I wish it had a little more zip. Roomy interior at the expense of the truck bed length. Overall, it is a great concept vehicle that is very flexible to everyday needs. However, there is one major dislike - the insurance industry classifies this vehicle as a SUV because of the Explorer nameplate. So the cost to insure is more than a simliar pickup truck.

Favorite Features

The ride. The keyless entry system. The side bars. The automatic rear sliding window.

Suggested Improvements

Improve fuel mileage in city driving. The truck bed could use something to prevent small items from sliding while driving.