2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
Versatile vehicle
By yepthatsit on 11/13/04 17:44 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I like the fact that it rides higher than a car, it carries gardening and other materials and it is comfortable on even long trips. It has plenty of leg room for taller folks in the front or the back. It has a great cool style.

Love it but not a keeper
By Jnttsikes on 10/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love the truck and how it drives... I have had more problems mecanicaly than any other vehicle I have ever owned. I am a fifty year old female and I have had many vehicles. This was the first time I have ever worn out a set of brakes at 19 thousand miles, as well as go threw to the roter. That was a quick $400 out of my pocket. The rebuilt the transmition at 15 thousand. I had to have it towed in because it left ma stranded and would not get back going.... That all started about 8 thousand miles...

Accident waiting to happen
By stewywerf on 07/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had multiple problems with my Sport Trac. The fuel pump went out on me at 3,000 miles and it almost caused a large accident. Since the dealership replaced the fuel pump it has stalled on my 5 other times but the dealership won't take the time to diagnose the problem. I asked them if a technician could drive the vehicle for a week so they could properly diagnose it. They also had to replace my steering pump, replace an interior light, adjust my hood so it would latch properly and add a missing label.

Cost of ownership
By lookingtotradein on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Several items were covered under warentee, but had to replace the front brake pads and rotors TWICE by 65,000 miles - I do not drive it hard - all highway miles. Radiator hose was sliced by a bracket in the engine. Oil cap mounting shattered at the first oil change. The hinges on the storage behind one of the rear seats snapped - again no excessive use. Love the concept but dissapointed at the experience.

We've now had TWO Sporttracs
By teacher's husband on 05/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

We leased the first one off the truck at a dealership. Loved it. After two years, we bought one "loaded" and have not had a single complaint. Wife loves the higher view, comfort, and reliability of the unit, expecially the factory road assistance (if she ever needed it!!) We even bought the extended 7 yr. 75,000 warranty, but have not needed any assistance. We've added custom wind screens - custom painted to match Sporttrac silver.

Sport Trac Review
By drkms on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this truck almost 2 years and still like it a lot. I like the versatility of having a smaller truck that I can haul stuff around in while not having to drive a big monster of a vehicle.

Sport Track- Reliable tough and fun
By freddy3stix on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great all around vehicle. 50,000 miles with no problems. 20mpg is a bit tough to take for me as a commuter, but I can't give it up.

Fun and Conentional
By SareBear on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm a college student and several times a year I am in need of a vehicle that can move me from apartment to apartment. Also important to me is a comfortable ride for my 3 large dogs. With the Sport Trac, you have it all. With the tonneau cover you can put anything at all in the bed. Once the seats in the back are folded down, the dogs love standing back there and stichink their heads out the rear power window. This is my first SUV/Truck and I absolutely love it!

2002 Sport Trac 4x4
By GAG on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just traded in my Sport Trac 4x4 with 24,000 miles. Overall, I liked everything about the vehicle. However, I felt I should let others know that it can become very unstable at highway speeds. I nearly lost control of the truck traveling on a curve at 70 MPH on an urban freeway after hitting an uneven expansion joint. The truck ended up skipping halfway into the adjacent lane before I could regain control. Driving at highway speeds on patched pavement with potholes and during windy conditions requires two hands on the wheel to stabilize the vehicle. Driving below 60 MPH, the Sprot Trac handled fine but truck-like.

Great Concept
By jim1200 on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This SUV/Truck has great flexibility, ride and interior space. The fuel mileage is not so great (unless you have a 5 speed manual over long distances) and although I like the performance, I wish it had a little more zip. Roomy interior at the expense of the truck bed length. Overall, it is a great concept vehicle that is very flexible to everyday needs. However, there is one major dislike - the insurance industry classifies this vehicle as a SUV because of the Explorer nameplate. So the cost to insure is more than a simliar pickup truck.