2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
Great SUV
By centenial on 04/06/08 22:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had this Ford since I bought it. I had every intention of keeping it except for an accident that almost could have claimed my life. But due to the good lord and a well built vehicle we survived the accident although the Explorer was totaled. I had nothing but good driving experience with this truck. Very spacious, comfortable, and quiet, and plush. The only drawback that I was working on fixing was the need for at least a 4" lift, and than I believe this SUV would be a very capable 4x4.

Great little truck
By SnowBeast on 01/28/08 13:14 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new with less than 100 miles after my 94 ranger was totalled by a kid running a light. This truck is a beast in the snow. Winter 06' brought 2 major blizzards here with over 2ft of snow each time within 2 weeks. Had to blast through drifts over 4 ft to get to work. No problem at all. That is even with the crap stock goodyear RT/S tires. Tires started "thumping at 10k. Had to replace pads and rotors at 30k. Repair shop said a caliper was frozen on the right front and chewed throught the rotor. Replaced rotors, pads and calipers over $700. Now the breaks constantly squeak. Besides that have not had any mechanical issues what so ever "knock on wood"

Be Careful
By Chris on 11/26/07 10:41 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck with under 65,000 miles on it, and never had a problem. As soon as I turned it over to 90,000 miles a lower rod broke in my engine and a couple thousand dollars later, here I sit. I had loved this truck, but am very reluctant to buy Ford again. I changed oil every 3000 miles and get up maintenance.

Awesome truck!
By Moms Ride on 02/02/07 10:23 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this truck! Not only does it look good, but it handles great too, in all kinds of weather and all kinds of terrain. Parking is a breeze, because it turns on a dime. The 4 doors help to make family living convenient, as well as shopping, with the fold down seats. I will definitely buy another!

6 Years and NO PROBLEMS
By A penny on 01/12/07 13:09 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

We love our Sport Trac. Our rule is when a car breaks down, we fix it then get rid of it. We have had our Sport Trac since January 2001 and have approximately 58k miles. We purchased an extended warranty but never had to use it. We have replaced our other car three times in the past 6 years. We did all of our regular maintenance, but no other repairs. In fact, we have original brake pads and tires. The only semi-complaint I can think of is it does not have the best turning radius (4x2). This is the first car that we will trade before a break down (I just want a new one).

A little of everything
By Karen on 05/13/06 15:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have driven this vehicle since September after moving to a mountain town with high roads that my car couldn't handle. Survived the winter great with the four by four. This truck loved the snow and clambered through it without difficulty. Had to replace the brakes at 42,000 miles after the previous owner had to replace at 20,000. From what I have read this is a consistent problem. The car creaks and makes weird noises that no vehicle with 50,000 miles should make. I love the back, and have the full cover. My dog travels back there happy as can be and I don't have to worry about his safety (completely enclosed) or dog hair. If he wants to visit all we have to do is lower window.

It's cute, but . . .
By Cary in Florida on 04/14/06 05:50 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Our SportTrac is cute, but it doesn't handle well at all, and it's loud and rough-running. It creaks when you turn the wheel "too far" in either direction (like when I'm going through a drive- through restaurant!), the engine light constantly comes on (thankfully we got the extended warranty), and the driver's seat won't go close enough in for my comfort.

Heart BRAKER
By surreal on 01/23/06 13:44 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love the look of the vehicle, very sporty chic looking, I've had it two years and have had to replace the brakes twice and the rotors once, which I believe to be sub standard from the factory, and now have my suspicions about the bearings as well! I'm a female, miles are all highway, and I do not do heavy braking. I'm getting a LOT of road noise frequently from the front end, when it's checked, it's the brakes or the rotor. Now I'm suspecting the bearings are bad! For my driving style, this is unacceptable for a vehicle of this type/cost to be having so many wheel problems. If used as a man's truck, worked, it would not survive long I fear. I'm worried, so I bought the extended warranty!

Love My Sport Trac
By STLOVER on 07/17/05 02:32 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought a Ranger two years before the ST and couldn't use it for anything. The Sport Trac is great for hauling around my boat and snowmobile trailers. The four doors and easy in and out of the cab is excellent. The bed is very useful and more useful with a factory bed extender. The ST is great in the snow without the factory Goodyear tires.

Like the Truck, Hate the Service Support
By GSFuller on 04/04/05 23:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the truck for the functionality - to transport my family and cargo at the same time. I chose it over the Dakota because it drove like a car - which it is. This vehicle is not as durable as a truck and should not be treated as such. But for a suburbanite, I like it a lot. It has things break on it a lot and I am thankful for the warranty. Too bad the dealership is so unsupportive. I see it as a great alternative to a wagon but not to a pick up truck. Treat it gently and it will perform well. Great speed but poor mileage (18 - 20 mpg).