Used 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Problem Child
By Sara

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck a year ago and had nothing but problems. First the battery needed to be replaced a week after I bought it. I had to replaced a hose that was causing my engine light to come on 2 months after I bought it, it was figured out after two appts at the shop. My back driver side door does not open from the inside, I have to let everyone out by opening their door. My ABS kicks in when it should not kick in causing me to spend numorous visits to the mechanic. Turns out, I have to spend the big bucks and take it to the Ford dealer. Lastly, which is not diagnosed yet but I've been told my alternater needs work. It just never ends with this truck.

Sun roof after I learned how to close it without wind coming through. Back sliding window.

Get rid of the noise issue underneath the vechicle. Sometimes it sounds like my truck is 120 years old. My only other suggestion is to buy a different vehicle.

It's all truck
By Dave Waldner

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought it because my brother had previously owned it and after he traded it for a car he desperately wanted it back. It was lady driven between his and my ownership and she didn't want to part with it either. I bought it with 158000 kms and I use it like a real truck same as both previously did. It has hauled quads, loads of frozen meat, sand, and now I haul my 1300 lb lawn mower in the truck bed. It's got lots of power and it's fun to drive. I also love the way it looks. I've been getting between 23 - 28 mpg on the average week of work and play.

Compact but roomy. 4wd is awesome. Love the box cover and the bed extender especially the fact that its fully lockable. Moonroof and the power rear window are the perfect venting combination!

Drivers sear needs a lumbar. More storage on the doors would be nice.

brakes...break
By ex ford driver

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Front brakes are junk! I bought this vehicle brand new and it just passed away at 187,000 miles. Engine blew last week. $$ to fix engine and of course I was at the 25,000 mile mandatory brake and rotor job. Other than that, oil changes and usual up keep along with bearings on both sides at 175,000.

Room

BRAKES umm Brakes and ahh BRAKES

2002 Ford Sport Track 4WD - Disastrous
By mworthi

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased a used Sport Trac from CarMax with approx 48,000 miles. Got a great price on the vehicle. Vehicle in great condition at time of purchase. Within 2 years, had to replace the engine in the truck. (Replaced with a case engine, not new.) Today, (08/06/08) the transmission is smoking and appears to be shot. The vehicle is squirrely to drive. Would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. CarMax was great, but Ford was not in the situation. I have an F-150 with almost 200,000 miles, and would not trade it for anything, but Ford really missed it with the Sport Trac! Buyer beware!

Loaded with neat features, but is not mechanically sound. Lots of controls, roomy on the inside. Power everything!

Mechanical reliability. Also, interior features, such as handles are painted, and where your hands a frequently, such as the steering wheel or arm rests, the paint and vinyl coverings come off easily. The handles in the ceiling above window also fall off easily.

Lovin my ST so far
By JerichoJeff

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought our ST as a utility vehicle for around the house; we needed a truck with 4 drs and a real back seat. Our ST is exactly what we were looking for. It handles well, rides wonderfully, and is super comfortable inside, even in the back seat (I'm 6'1", and can sit very comfortably in the back). It's a great looking vehicle too. I've received continuous comments on it since getting it. The roof rails are great, and allowed me to attach my bike rack to the top in minutes. The tie downs in the back are excellent, as well as the composite bed. So far, the only thing we've had to be concerned about is the fuel economy. But really, it's no better or worse on gas than any other truck. We love it!

Composite bed and tie-downs, power back window, roof rails, exterior design. Fold-down rear seat. Bed extender is a great addition.

Like with every truck, improve the mpg. If I nurse it, I can get 18mpg around town...even got 24pmg on the highway once. But over the winter, was getting 15mpg. Not great. Also, perhaps increasing the payload capacity. Anything more than 700lbs in the back, and she starts sitting pretty low.