2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
Best auto investment yet
By Joe Sonnier on 04/08/10 18:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Choice 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sport Trac w/ 44k miles on it, outside of routine maintenance the only thing I've had to replace was a new hub due to off roading. The interior is very comfortable, great for commuting, camping, and overall driving. I live in Alaska and I haven't had a vehicle this reliable in the winter (started right up in -20 weather!) It has room for the kids, but extra hauling space in the bed, as well as great towing capacity for it's size. Excellent truck for family camping trips and small enough to take on most ATV trails provided there's not too much mud!

Awesome
By James on 07/13/09 15:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Yeah, it's a Ford...and I rate it a 10 anyway. Honestly, I am being objective. Our Sport Trac has leather interior and a sunroof...which makes for super comfort. The gas mileage is reasonable, and as a result of 10 full tanks we've received 20 mpg on freeway. The engine runs great, and is clean and quiet. This vehicle is great for both rural and urban settings as it is easy to maneuver in city traffic as well as snow. This is the only Ford we have or will buy.

Works fine
By Jesse on 06/06/09 09:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my sport trac since 2002 and now it has 158,000.00 miles on it. I have had to do some routine maintainace but it still runs really well and I am having a hard time replacing because it is in such good shape. I will get at least 200,000 miles out of this truck but I also take care of it and not try to dog it out. I would say to anyone if you want your car to last, you need to look at your manuel that came with your truck and do the maintainance. You will end up saving thousands on repairs. I know because this is not the first Ford that I have got this many miles out of.

One Great Truck
By eastringer on 05/06/09 16:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the Sport Trac in July 2002 and have driven it 154,000 trouble free miles. I high recommend buying one. Mileage has been very good with an average highway MPG of 23.8 with a full load and freeway speeds. I am looking to buy a new one I hope they are as good as the 2002 has been.

Good Choice
By RRMan03 on 12/17/08 17:45 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this brand new with 4 miles. I have never had any problems except for the poor quality factory tires and of course the brakes and rotors. I have had 2 sets of pads and the rotors turned at 64000. Now after changing to Mich tires LTX at 30000 miles and new pads and rotors turned at 64000 it drives as new if nor better. This truck has been from TN to Idaho 4 times.

Problem Child
By Sara on 12/01/08 17:27 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck a year ago and had nothing but problems. First the battery needed to be replaced a week after I bought it. I had to replaced a hose that was causing my engine light to come on 2 months after I bought it, it was figured out after two appts at the shop. My back driver side door does not open from the inside, I have to let everyone out by opening their door. My ABS kicks in when it should not kick in causing me to spend numorous visits to the mechanic. Turns out, I have to spend the big bucks and take it to the Ford dealer. Lastly, which is not diagnosed yet but I've been told my alternater needs work. It just never ends with this truck.

It's all truck
By Dave Waldner on 10/15/08 21:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought it because my brother had previously owned it and after he traded it for a car he desperately wanted it back. It was lady driven between his and my ownership and she didn't want to part with it either. I bought it with 158000 kms and I use it like a real truck same as both previously did. It has hauled quads, loads of frozen meat, sand, and now I haul my 1300 lb lawn mower in the truck bed. It's got lots of power and it's fun to drive. I also love the way it looks. I've been getting between 23 - 28 mpg on the average week of work and play.

brakes...break
By ex ford driver on 08/20/08 14:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Front brakes are junk! I bought this vehicle brand new and it just passed away at 187,000 miles. Engine blew last week. $$ to fix engine and of course I was at the 25,000 mile mandatory brake and rotor job. Other than that, oil changes and usual up keep along with bearings on both sides at 175,000.

2002 Ford Sport Track 4WD - Disastrous
By mworthi on 08/06/08 10:50 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased a used Sport Trac from CarMax with approx 48,000 miles. Got a great price on the vehicle. Vehicle in great condition at time of purchase. Within 2 years, had to replace the engine in the truck. (Replaced with a case engine, not new.) Today, (08/06/08) the transmission is smoking and appears to be shot. The vehicle is squirrely to drive. Would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. CarMax was great, but Ford was not in the situation. I have an F-150 with almost 200,000 miles, and would not trade it for anything, but Ford really missed it with the Sport Trac! Buyer beware!

Lovin my ST so far
By JerichoJeff on 04/15/08 19:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought our ST as a utility vehicle for around the house; we needed a truck with 4 drs and a real back seat. Our ST is exactly what we were looking for. It handles well, rides wonderfully, and is super comfortable inside, even in the back seat (I'm 6'1", and can sit very comfortably in the back). It's a great looking vehicle too. I've received continuous comments on it since getting it. The roof rails are great, and allowed me to attach my bike rack to the top in minutes. The tie downs in the back are excellent, as well as the composite bed. So far, the only thing we've had to be concerned about is the fuel economy. But really, it's no better or worse on gas than any other truck. We love it!