Used 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Best auto investment yet
By Joe Sonnier

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Choice 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sport Trac w/ 44k miles on it, outside of routine maintenance the only thing I've had to replace was a new hub due to off roading. The interior is very comfortable, great for commuting, camping, and overall driving. I live in Alaska and I haven't had a vehicle this reliable in the winter (started right up in -20 weather!) It has room for the kids, but extra hauling space in the bed, as well as great towing capacity for it's size. Excellent truck for family camping trips and small enough to take on most ATV trails provided there's not too much mud!

Favorite Features

I love the sunroof, back window, and tonneau cover! Push button 4WD is great in winter, as well as ABS breaking!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I'd improve on this truck is the fuel economy, but then again it's worth the overall versatility of the truck. I'm planning on putting a 4in lift kit on it this summer and some bigger tires, which will decrease my gas mileage unfortunately

Awesome
By James

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Yeah, it's a Ford...and I rate it a 10 anyway. Honestly, I am being objective. Our Sport Trac has leather interior and a sunroof...which makes for super comfort. The gas mileage is reasonable, and as a result of 10 full tanks we've received 20 mpg on freeway. The engine runs great, and is clean and quiet. This vehicle is great for both rural and urban settings as it is easy to maneuver in city traffic as well as snow. This is the only Ford we have or will buy.

Favorite Features

Leather, sunroof, back seat air vents and radio controls, vent side windows

Suggested Improvements

sattelite radio would be nice, but otherwise I don't have any real ideas

Works fine
By Jesse

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my sport trac since 2002 and now it has 158,000.00 miles on it. I have had to do some routine maintainace but it still runs really well and I am having a hard time replacing because it is in such good shape. I will get at least 200,000 miles out of this truck but I also take care of it and not try to dog it out. I would say to anyone if you want your car to last, you need to look at your manuel that came with your truck and do the maintainance. You will end up saving thousands on repairs. I know because this is not the first Ford that I have got this many miles out of.

One Great Truck
By eastringer

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the Sport Trac in July 2002 and have driven it 154,000 trouble free miles. I high recommend buying one. Mileage has been very good with an average highway MPG of 23.8 with a full load and freeway speeds. I am looking to buy a new one I hope they are as good as the 2002 has been.

Favorite Features

Ride height, "clam shell" bed cover, power and fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Better door gaskets, they squeak when it is cold.

Good Choice
By RRMan03

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Value 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this brand new with 4 miles. I have never had any problems except for the poor quality factory tires and of course the brakes and rotors. I have had 2 sets of pads and the rotors turned at 64000. Now after changing to Mich tires LTX at 30000 miles and new pads and rotors turned at 64000 it drives as new if nor better. This truck has been from TN to Idaho 4 times.

Favorite Features

Love the 4 doors and the truck style bed. Perfect for hunting and outdoor pursuits. Plenty of room for one person or 2.

Suggested Improvements

Use anything but Goodyear Wrangler tires from the factory and fix the braking problem. I never tow anything and it was undriveable at 30000 due to cupped tires and brakes wore out. After changes better than new.