2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Review: Not Sure What To Think

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Review

Base Crew Cab Pickup (4.0L V6 5-speed Manual)

Not Sure What To Think
By gelton1 on

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Consumer Reports gave the Sport Trac a big thimbs down, ranking it one of the worst vehicles. I use to think there was something to their annual report, but I have 2nd thoughts now. I bought my Sport Trac in Dec. '00, a co-worker's husband bought his 3 months later, a friend bought his that same month, and someone I talk with via work bought one this past summer. With the exception of me getting the Firestones replaced (all the others did not have the Firestones), neither of our vehicles have been returned to a dealership for anything (well the co-worker's husband does use the dealership for routine service)

Passengers love the rear air and radio controls. I love the ride and handling (for a truck, but what'da expect) and the V-6 pulled a 4,000 lb trailer and about 500 lb in the back without a strain.

Wish it was about 2 or 3 inches wider, especially on the inside where the seat can be tight for a big guy like myself. Although the V-6 is plenty of power, I wish I had a V-8. that's right, not available..need it.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review