2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
By MEC on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, put a class III hitch an rent a trailer for big bulk jobs, handles towing with ease, nimble, fits in garage, 4wd a must. Overall interior appointments excellent when compared to Nissan Frontier, Toyota Tacoma, Dodge Dakota.

FRONTEND PROBLEMS
By TOM FRANKFURTH on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

AT 45000 MILES MY TRUCK NEEDED BRAKES. AT 60000 MILES BALL JOINTS WERE REPLACED AND AT 71000 WHEEL BEARINGS ARE SHOT.

Sweet!
By A1cntrler on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought mine as a dealer demo vehicle. I have had no major prblems with this vehicle. It did have a rough idle, but took it to the dealer and the reprogramed to PCM and fixed it. Runs smooth like a top now! Also I love all the help I can get from websites like mysporttrac dot com. IF you are looking for aftermarket parts or just help fixing a rattle on it, chances are someone on there has already been through what you are going through and will gladly steer you in the right direction. LOVE IT!!!!

01 Sport Trac
By carlton100c on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

One of the first to buy this vehicle. It has not disapointed. We have been 4 whelling in Colorado Rockies and mudding in Kansas.. Full size back seat is a major plus. It is all we hoped for when we ordered the vehicle in March 2000. Will replace it with another Sport Trac, someday.

I like it!
By rlgay1000 on 11/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have had a new thermostat put in. Have also had to have air/fuel valve replaced. Buts its a fund truck to drive and very versatile with pickup bed and room for 5 adults!

Could be much better!!
By Drewdawg on 10/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

When driving the Sports Trac around town I had noticed a squeeking sound when stopping but did not think of it as a problem. But about 1000 miles later I found out i had no pad or rotor left in the front disc brakes. Also during Highway driving i had to listen to a annoying wissling sound comming from the drivers side and passengers side windows. But over all the truck is fine just need to have better fuel mileage and fix the brake and wind noise problem!!

I Wouldn't Buy Another
By parkerad on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Price & Resale Value (I paid $30k & that didn’t include Leather, Tonneau Cover, Bed Extender, or Running Boards.The day I bought it, 1 yr ago, I had $6k in equity. Been trying to sell it – I’ll be lucky to break even.); Fuel Efficiency; Noisy (Sounds like the drs & windows are cracked w/ the wind blowing thru.); Sun Visors (Sun is always in my eyes no matter how I adjust them.) Overall,not worth the money I spent. Maybe the dealer I used ripped me off. Maybe Ford needs to improve upon this vehicle. Would I buy another? No way.

Good Review
By stationaryengineer on 10/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The only complaint I have is the idler pulley keeps squeaking, even after replacement. Other than that Iam very happy with the vehicle.

Love My Stort TRac
By joedirt on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since I have purchased my 2001 Sport Trac I have not been dissapointed at all. I love the way it rides and handles on the interstate and in town. It is even comfortable on long trips.

It Works for ME!!
By SLIM on 09/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

First, I agree and disagree with what has been written in the other reviews. Yes, GAS mileage is not great...17.4 for me, mostly highway. BRAKES have not been a problem. Still have original rotors and replaced pads @ 38K. WHO KNEW! Stop tailgating and your brakes might last a little longer!! Functionality has been phenominal. I'm in sales and I haul large equipment often. I even mounted an Aluminum toolbox in the bed and still have room to haul. A V8 would be nice and a larger fuel tank would be in order as well. I AM VERY PLEASED.