Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

2001 Overall A Disappointment
By JR

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the truck with approximately 20,000 miles on it. The power rear window was a selling feature to me along with the looks and versatility of a SUV/truck. The ride is rough but after all it's a truck so that is ok. The disappointing features are as follows; paint bubbling up and popping off the hood at 35,000 miles, Ford did pay for the repaint though. Lower Ball joints at 50,000 miles (told normal wear), horrible gas mileage (15 mpg mixed driving, 16-17 on highway), moisture in the headlights, annoying timing chain slap noise, slow/low torque motor and now transmission problems (which I was told is common). My '91 Explorer was bulletproof for 175K miles, doubt this one will make that.

Favorite Features

Power rear window, versatility of SUV/truck blend, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Make them mechanically dependable, Reduce wind noise in the cabin, better gas mileage even though it is a truck (GM can do it, why can't Ford?).

2001 Best multi purpose vehicle
By Brad

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My friend said that I should submit my review on the Sport Trac. So, here it goes. Overall this is a very good truck. I don't know how most people drive, but here I get an average of 21.8 mpg highway and 18.6 city. In my eyes that's pretty good for any truck. That is in 2wd, which is what I drive it in most of the time. The 4wd comes in handy for Michigan winters! I am also impressed with the ride quality, performance and workmanship. Next time I'm shopping for a new truck, I'll look at the Sport Trac again.

Favorite Features

Versatility! The looks and very comfortable interior. I have 2 boys, 14 and 8 and they love it and plenty of room for them. Good gas mileage for a truck.

Suggested Improvements

The only complaint that I have is the way the door handle is on the interior of the truck. It was kind of awkward at first but it could have been designed better.

2001 5 speed
By Phil T

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Overall a very dependable truck. Agree with postings on brakes going in short order. Also had a clutch slave cylinder go bad (under extended warranty). Other than that, no problems. Has never left me stranded. Exterior design still looks good after 4 years. Balance between crew cab and pickup capacity is perfect. Interior design on base model is very plain (yet functional), but what can you expect in a base model. Pickup bed is great for the hardware store/dump runs, but lacking when you go to get any 4'x8's. Yes, this is a compromise, but an acceptable one when compared to cost of a crew cab full size pickup.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual - why did Ford stop putting these in? Rear window roll down - Why don't ALL pickups have this feature? Fold flat rear seats - Great for packing stuff out of the weather, or putting the dogs in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Put the 5 speed in the new 2007 model. Brake design could be better. Work to get rid of the squeaks and rattles, along wih better/more interior noise deadening material. Fuel mileage is O.K. for vehicle size/power, but could be improved.

It's.....all right.
By bobs66

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a great truck/SUVcombo for the single person. When you add in two kids and two car seats, you run out of room very quickly.

Favorite Features

I love the Pioneer 6-disc in-dash changer.

Suggested Improvements

Motor. I have had bad luck with the one that comes in it

Mechanical Problems
By lindasprouse

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

We have had several repairs to the truck including brake replacement. The major problem now is the transmission. We need to repair and/or rebuilt transmission at $1,500 to $1,800. One service shop tried a fix for $300 after finding a service bulletin on it. The transmission is still slipping in third gear. It is now at a reputable transmission shop to be repaired. We were told by them that there was an article in a transmission magazine about this problem in this particular vehicle and that also Ford is not very good about transmission recalls even though there seems to be major problems with this model. This is why I have always purchased Toyota.

Favorite Features

Bed extender, rear window--everything but mechanical.

Suggested Improvements

Quality--mechanics of vehicle!