2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
Great truck
By fijisone on 04/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The truck is a compromise for some but not for me. Perfect for a family of three, more usable than aregular pickup truck- still does all the hauling I need to do. I average 18 MPG. The only compromise is who gets to drive when we all go out together.

No Faith in Ford Quality - Sport Trac
By Tomen8r on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I loved the Sport Trac when I first purchased in April, 02. But one transmission, 2 other tow's from my driveway, busted electronics, broken power window motor, snapped door handle, as well as many rattles and jingles, well, the thrill is gone. I purchased this new vehicle for dependibility, but it is the least dependable vehicle I have, and it's the NEWEST vehicle I have! In process of shopping around for a replacement. Some area's are just 'thrown' together, with foam here and plastic there, some which doesn't fit. That and the mechanical problems lost all faith in Ford for me and the fam.

No trust in this one
By Going Titan on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the design, but wish Ford would have put more thought into the vehicle. Replaced three thermostats, two waterpumps, sensors, breaks and rotars all under 45000 miles. No faith in this vehicle any longer when traveling long distances. New breaks, but it squeals like crazy when attempting to stop.

2003 Ford Sport Trac XLT
By Crudup on 12/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Drives like a wild horse. Ride is very bumpy. Wind noise.

Ah, my sport trac, how I love it.
By alidawoo21 on 11/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Explorer Sport Trac. It is fun and easy to drive. The problem with most four door trucks with full sized back seats is that they are so darned long, they are hard to drive. I love my Explorer because it drives like an SUV, but I can haul stuff like a truck. I only have two complaints: 1.mine didn't come with a cover for the bed, so if it rains I have to put the stroller in the back seat, and 2.the gas mileage isn't that great.

JUNK
By MAURICIO MARTINEZ on 11/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. THIS IS A TRULY PIECE OF JUNK. TRANSMISSION WENT OUT WITHIN THE FIRST 5,OOO MILES. OXYGEN SENSOR WENT OUT TWICE. REAR AXLE HAD TO BE REPLACE AFTER 20,000 MILES. VERY LOW QUALITY INTERIOR TRIM. PROBLEMS WITH HOOD, SEATS, TIRES, SUSPENSION, BRAKES LOTS OF NOISE, BAD GAS MILEAGE, NO POWER.

Nice little truck
By Lubbockite on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Always runs well, designed with ordinary maint (brakes, oil, etc.) in mind. Very simple to work on. Fun for offroading, but fairly low clearance. Several safety recalls, but no problems under warranty.

01 Sport Trac
By stl owner on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the look of the truck and the interior size. Hauls family well. However, had it in the shop for the first time after owning it for 1 month to replace the thermostat. I've now replaced three thermostats, 2 waterpumps, brakes, rotars, and various sensors. I no longer have any trust in this vehicle for traveling long distances.

Fun, Reliable, & Resourceful
By blahblahblah on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Very fun vehicle to drive. Additionally, the Truck/SUV has the advantage of Explorer reliability (which is beyond compare) and the resourcefulness of a pickup truck. The bed is 4 ft long but with hitch down (and guard rail) becomes 6 ft, which is the same length of most short bed pickups. Doesn't have the get up and go torque that I expected but then again, there are third party performance enhancements for that.

Luckier than Most?
By vickist on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I currently have 54,000 miles on my Sport Trac. At 53,000 I had to have the dust shield on the front brakes replaced. Had to have the bolt holding the driver's seat to the floor replaced shortly after I bought the vehicle. The squeeking brakes gets me a lot of unwanted attention -- but the dealer also says that can't be fixed. Just read about the 2 new recalls. I presume that most of you had your hood latch replaced with the first recall.