Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Ford Explorer Sport Trac
By ford

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle was purchased to tow small trailers and it performs fine. Gas mileage is not acceptable as it is well below the advertised sticker quote. Workmanship is poor. Have had problems from paint and loose body parts to major mechanical problems. All were promptly taken care of by the dealer, but some are reoccurring and the vehicle is no longer under warranty.

Favorite Features

I love the design and the ease of using the 4-wheel drive. I like having a passenger car with a pickup bed

Best Truck I've Ever Owned
By J Ketchum

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was driving to the Jeep dealer to trade in and buy a new Jeep when I saw the Sport Trac. I stopped and looked at the truck, with no sales pressure I went for a test drive and loved every minute. I got a great price and drove home. After 105k miles this truck has never let me down. I can`t say this about the imports I've owned.

Favorite Features

The seats (I spend a lot of time on them). Power back window.

Suggested Improvements

V8 power.

Sport Trac - American Car
By Trac Owner

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The Sport Trac is the second Ford I have owned. In my experience the quality has been outstanding but fuel economy has been worse than any of the several foreign vehicles I've owned. Took it to repair shop; they did computer analysis; couldn't find a problem. Suggested using premium gas which didn't help only cost me more money to buy! I'm going back to foreign made especially with gas prices today.

Everything I Was Looking For
By Ray

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's the perfect vehicle - especially in Western NY. Great to take camping/fishing in the summer - holds all the family gear. The 4WD is awesome in the snow heading to the cabin for hunting. Got it brand new when they came out and will drive it into the ground - hopefully not for a very long time. Runs great - never had a problem with it.

Favorite Features

Locking tonneau cover, back window that vents or goes all the way down, 4WD, climate control for back passenger.

Suggested Improvements

More ground clearance - side steps are a little too low. Few more inches for back passenger leg room. Minor things - I love my Trac.

2001 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC
By PHIL L.

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I think Ford made a mistake widening the body width after 2001. This car slides into parking spaces with ease, and the performance and ride is better than most. Currently have over 90,000 miles and can't find a better replacement. The utility of the open cargo area is the best thing since sliced bread, and the rear seat fold down is also handy. Long lumber can be transported by sliding down the electric rear window -- a really slick feature.

Favorite Features

Ride comfort on long trips -- excellent, utility of open and closed cargo spaces a must for most guys.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better gas mileage like most other cars.