2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
By schermen on 01/19/05 22:14 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

During summer enjoy rolling rear window down, open sun roof, feels very open. Negative is poor gas mileage. Have over 90,000 miles on it; had to replace A/C & front end parts. When in 2WD in rain or snow it gets pretty scary without weight. 4WD has a ghost, turns on and off by itself. Nice looking truck though. Bought 100,000 mile warranty; haven't spent much on repairs because of that.

One Fun Ride
By Jill on 01/03/05 11:35 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The Sport Trac is one of the most fun vehicles that I have ever driven. The exterior style is awesome, and the interior is very comfortable. It can hold up to 5 people, and still have room for hauling things.The ride is very good for a Sport Utility Truck. The gas mileage is not great, but everything else about this "truck" makes up for it. This is the first vehicle that I have ever fell in love with. I will definitely buy another one when the time comes.

Luv my Sport Trac!
By DennisA on 11/17/04 15:12 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I really do love this truck. It has the comfort of a big Explorer interior plus has the pickup bed to haul around my tools, etc. I am able to transport amazing piles of stuff, including sheets of plywood/sheetrock, dump runs, etc. plus I can put all of my computer gear in the back seat for secure storage/transportation. The gas mileage is OK, the ride is somewhat bouncy but overall this is a great utility vehicle for transporting the family comfortably or hauling stuff around.

Satisfied
By Scott Moore on 10/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Ive throughly enjoy this City version of a truck. Meets all nddes of my busy family.

WAS GREAT UNTIL 50,000 MILES
By LISAWALT on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

THE ONLY PROBLEM BEFORE 50,000 WAS THE INTERIOR JUST PEELS AWAY BY THE RADIO AND CUP HOLDER. THEN CAME THE $800 BALL JOINTS AND $250 VACUUM HOSES AND THE $800 A/C COMPRESSOR NOT TO MENTION HAD TO HAVE TIRES AND BRAKES EARLY. 2WD SUCKS IN THE SNOW. HAD TO WEIGH THE BACK END WITH SALT BAGS WHICH WAS GREAT ON THE ALRIGHTY BAD GAS MILEAGE.

Wish I owned stock in ford parts dept.
By pritchett642 on 09/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Before 53,000 I had front axle seals,brakes and rotors,iap sensor,oxygen sensor,intake manifold gaskets,transfer case,power steering pump,and lower balljoints replaced. All of which the dealership said was normal. Granted this is the same dealership who recommended this vehicle for ease of maintenance.I am currently getting ready to trade it off as the dealership has offered to give an exceptional deal after showing them my full maintenance list.

Still running & I do not plan to sell
By wallace4482 on 08/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in 01, works great, got want i wanted. No major issues. It is half pick-up and half SUV. Still looks good and runs well. The only weak point is the brakes, replaced at 50,000 miles but still does not seem perfect.

Its Falling Apart
By Duncsdad on 08/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Just came from the dealership and it needs new ball joints and seals at 55K highway miles. Estimated cost = $600. Dealer said it was a normal "wear" item. Already had paint (black); 4WD control; oil pan; oil sending unit; and seat bolts replaced under warranty. Have not had trouble with brakes -- yet. Has been in the shop in the last 2 1/2 years more than my 7 previous GM trucks/SUV's were in the last 16 years. Will be my last Ford. I am not putting a dime in thise crate after reading what I may be in for in the near term. Doing research on a new vehicle right now.

Decent Truck
By bennb on 06/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Everything seems solid, but not outstanding to say the least. Moonroof shorts here and there. Engine replaced under warranty for head crack. Rear piece on tailgate bottom comes unglued. Seems a little on the poor side concerning integrity of build. Ride is OK, not great, but tolerable definitely. Paint on running board has chipped, interior finish on door handles and around the stereo scratches easily and peels as well. Really like the plastic bed, bed extender, and the tonneau cover helps overall satisfaction a great deal. A little tight in the back seat, but decent. A/C compressor slows at idle (engine idles too low?) .. no cooling then.

Give me back my Jeep!
By jcpo on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I think I bought this truck only because I liked the looks, something different. It is so hard to handle, parking, backing up, and turning are hard. Backing up at night is nearly impossible. The gas milage is AWFUL! The re-sale value is awful as well. I've already tried to trade it in and sell it out right and have not been pleased so far. I had a Ford Bronco II years ago and I loved it, then went to Jeep, loved it too. Now I'm looking for a Jeep Wrangler. I can't wait to get rid of this Ford. What was I thinking?!?