Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Ok, but could be better
By drew

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Was fine till O/D light blinked, then transmission work, then ball joints, brakes etc. Keep up with those and its a decent vehicle. Mileage is kinda bad, but decent overall. Had other SUV vehicles that were worse. Sure there is some maintenance expense, but not like other vehicles.

Favorite Features

Fold down rear seat. Heater is phenomenal. I hate the cold.

Suggested Improvements

Put grease fittings on ball joints so they can be maintained. Better transmission.

Transmission problems
By Frank Grimes

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The SportTrac is a decent vehicle and served me well over a five year period. The truck's versatility and mix of luxury and ruggedness allowed it to handle most situations well. The windshield is prone to cracking when operating the defrosters in cold weather. There are a few sensors that have a tendency to fail. However, my biggest issue with the truck came at 95,000 miles when the automatic transmission ceased to function. The truck was well maintained, so the failure was quite a surprise. After much research, and expense, I found that this was common among these trucks. The automatic transmission has design flaws. Beware the blinking "O/D Off" light of death.

Favorite Features

Rear seat A/C controls. Composite bed. Power adjustable seats and mirrors. Rides more like a car then a truck. Power down rear window.

Suggested Improvements

MPG. Reliability. Automatic transmission should last longer.

GREAT Family SUT
By Dave HArmon

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used with about 30k. It now has over 50K and the only problem was left rear turn signal would not work sometimes. I tracked the problem to the switch in the column. The wire for that bulb was too short, factory defect, and would get pulled enough to stop the electrical feed. Other than that it has been a great little truck.

Favorite Features

Small enough to park easily and still has a small truck bed with four full doors. The automatic shifts extremely smooth.

Suggested Improvements

None. This is a perfect vehicle for me and my family.

My Sport Trac
By Candy

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am the original owner of my Sport Trac. I have really enjoyed the versatility of the truck. I did have trouble with the belt sounding like crickets. After getting the tensioner pulley replaced the belt doesn't make the noises anymore.

Favorite Features

I love that the backseats will fold down flat together or separately. I love the back power window. I like my factory tonneau cover and the versatility of it.

Suggested Improvements

The exterior design could have been better on the back of the cab. When the rear power window is open and there is water from rain on top of the cab the backseat passengers will get wet on acceleration. The two other designs I don't care for. The backseat door handles should be higher.

Best of everything
By S Lillard

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

At first when I drove the Sport Trac I remember thinking that it drove more like a car than a truck. I had just gave my reliable F-150 to my son-in-law prior to buying the Sport Trac from an acquaintance. The previous truck had given me 269,000 miles and was still running strong and looked newer than the 1995 that it was. I was now hoping the Sport Trac would be as loyal. Now at 100,000 and going strong without any problems thus far. I live in the country, use the Sport Trac as a dirt road explorer, and love driving it. It looks good and it feels good.

Favorite Features

Fold down rear seats that give half options, rear window that rolls all or partial way. Stereo that can be controlled by rear occupants as well as the air condition controls in the rear. There's a bed port for coolers, etc. compass and digital thermometer, leather seats, moon roof, adjustable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Would like the option of opening the rear tail gate by swing also in addition to lift.