2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
stranded @33,000 miles
By curt jones on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

No problems for 3 years, I was a booster of the vehicle. It failed me coming home from a short trip. stranded for 3 days ( holiday weekend).I was one week over the three year warranty, the "on call" service would not help. It seems my thermostat self destructed, sending pieces to lodge in the water pump, the pump seized and froze causing the drive belt to overheat and break. I have also had many close calls when I change lanes due to the huge blind spot of it's design. have taken a second job on weekends to pay for gas, will sell it soon.

All I Can Ask
By gelton on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It amazes me how many questions and stares I still get when the roads are full of the Sport Tracs. I could not ask of more from a vehicle this size. It carries 5 and their luggage in comfort on vacation, it hauls dirt/lumber/plants/etc. and washes clean without scratches, it carries a trailer loaded with 4000 lbs of trees 50 miles without straining, and it commutes to work getting about 20mpg. Must admit, I've been very happy with this vehicle of choice.

Good Lookin'
By mamudo on 03/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

We think our truck is a "looker". It is great to have a smaller truck with people space and cargo space. Few things can be improved upon, and that is the brakes go really fast and the door lock pinches if you have your arm resting on the edge when the truck is put in drive and the automatic door lock engages.

I like it!
By rlgay1000 on 11/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have had a new thermostat put in. Have also had to have air/fuel valve replaced. Buts its a fund truck to drive and very versatile with pickup bed and room for 5 adults!

Love My Stort TRac
By joedirt on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since I have purchased my 2001 Sport Trac I have not been dissapointed at all. I love the way it rides and handles on the interstate and in town. It is even comfortable on long trips.

Ford Explorer Sport Trac
By ohmz42 on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My Sport Trac is very comfortable and fun to drive. Fuel Mileage is decent at 19 mpg average. Although it has ample pep, considering todays technology, Ford could improve performance and fuel economy just a wee bit better. Before I purchased this vehicle I was undecided between an SUV or pickup, but the Sport Trac has proven to be a nice mix of each. Would recommend! You get plenty of looks too.

Fun in the Sun
By ReefDiver on 08/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Overall I love my Sport Trac, I use it for kayak diving which is very gear intensive and, as you can imagine, wet and sandy. The bed allows me to keep the dirty things out back while my leather interior doesn't have to deal with any of it. If I had one complaint it would be fuel economy but I knew I wasn't buying a Honda

Just misses the mark
By RDG on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Was a unique vehicle has too many little nagging problems to really enjoy ownership. The A/C fan quit within first week. Has had a noise in powertrain since new never fixed the dealer can never verify. Has recently developed a annoying popping sound while driving dealer has order parts per Ford TSB. Gas door was replaced a year ago because the hinge chipped the gas door opening. The tires were replace by recall.

NO MORE ST
By NO MORE SPORT TRAC on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

BRAKES AND ROTORS HAS TO BE CHANGED LIKE OIL. NO GAS MILEAGE. STEERING NEEDES IMPROVEMENT, ALSO, HANDLING. BLACK PAINT CRACKING AT 1 YR. OLD, MANUFACTURER WILL NO NOTIFY CONSUMERS OF THIS DEFFECT. A FRIEND OF THE FAMILY TOLD US THAT WORKS AT THE BODY SHOP. SO, IF YOUR TRUCK IS BLACK, HAVE IT PAINTED BEFORE END OF WARRANTY

Half way there
By By on 07/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love the design, it is perfect for me. It great for lugging stuff but not to much stuff. Roll down rear window, seating, 4 doors, perfect design, great, bravo. That said, some quality would be nice. At 46K I have been 4 set of brake pads, 1 rotor cut job, rotor replacement and a transmission valve body replacement. The rattle I have been trying to address from day one is still present, no one has a clue. The most expensive to maintain car I have ever had. If only Ford had an engineering department to back up the design department it would be great.