2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
Ford Explorer Sport Trac
By ford on 04/18/06 18:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle was purchased to tow small trailers and it performs fine. Gas mileage is not acceptable as it is well below the advertised sticker quote. Workmanship is poor. Have had problems from paint and loose body parts to major mechanical problems. All were promptly taken care of by the dealer, but some are reoccurring and the vehicle is no longer under warranty.

Best Truck I've Ever Owned
By J Ketchum on 03/02/06 19:59 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was driving to the Jeep dealer to trade in and buy a new Jeep when I saw the Sport Trac. I stopped and looked at the truck, with no sales pressure I went for a test drive and loved every minute. I got a great price and drove home. After 105k miles this truck has never let me down. I can`t say this about the imports I've owned.

Sport Trac - American Car
By Trac Owner on 02/25/06 10:23 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The Sport Trac is the second Ford I have owned. In my experience the quality has been outstanding but fuel economy has been worse than any of the several foreign vehicles I've owned. Took it to repair shop; they did computer analysis; couldn't find a problem. Suggested using premium gas which didn't help only cost me more money to buy! I'm going back to foreign made especially with gas prices today.

Everything I Was Looking For
By Ray on 01/19/06 10:04 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's the perfect vehicle - especially in Western NY. Great to take camping/fishing in the summer - holds all the family gear. The 4WD is awesome in the snow heading to the cabin for hunting. Got it brand new when they came out and will drive it into the ground - hopefully not for a very long time. Runs great - never had a problem with it.

2001 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC
By PHIL L. on 01/05/06 13:13 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I think Ford made a mistake widening the body width after 2001. This car slides into parking spaces with ease, and the performance and ride is better than most. Currently have over 90,000 miles and can't find a better replacement. The utility of the open cargo area is the best thing since sliced bread, and the rear seat fold down is also handy. Long lumber can be transported by sliding down the electric rear window -- a really slick feature.

2001 Overall A Disappointment
By JR on 07/29/05 12:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the truck with approximately 20,000 miles on it. The power rear window was a selling feature to me along with the looks and versatility of a SUV/truck. The ride is rough but after all it's a truck so that is ok. The disappointing features are as follows; paint bubbling up and popping off the hood at 35,000 miles, Ford did pay for the repaint though. Lower Ball joints at 50,000 miles (told normal wear), horrible gas mileage (15 mpg mixed driving, 16-17 on highway), moisture in the headlights, annoying timing chain slap noise, slow/low torque motor and now transmission problems (which I was told is common). My '91 Explorer was bulletproof for 175K miles, doubt this one will make that.

2001 Best multi purpose vehicle
By Brad on 07/06/05 16:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My friend said that I should submit my review on the Sport Trac. So, here it goes. Overall this is a very good truck. I don't know how most people drive, but here I get an average of 21.8 mpg highway and 18.6 city. In my eyes that's pretty good for any truck. That is in 2wd, which is what I drive it in most of the time. The 4wd comes in handy for Michigan winters! I am also impressed with the ride quality, performance and workmanship. Next time I'm shopping for a new truck, I'll look at the Sport Trac again.

2001 5 speed
By Phil T on 03/18/05 14:09 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Overall a very dependable truck. Agree with postings on brakes going in short order. Also had a clutch slave cylinder go bad (under extended warranty). Other than that, no problems. Has never left me stranded. Exterior design still looks good after 4 years. Balance between crew cab and pickup capacity is perfect. Interior design on base model is very plain (yet functional), but what can you expect in a base model. Pickup bed is great for the hardware store/dump runs, but lacking when you go to get any 4'x8's. Yes, this is a compromise, but an acceptable one when compared to cost of a crew cab full size pickup.

It's.....all right.
By bobs66 on 03/07/05 12:04 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a great truck/SUVcombo for the single person. When you add in two kids and two car seats, you run out of room very quickly.

Mechanical Problems
By lindasprouse on 02/17/05 15:26 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

We have had several repairs to the truck including brake replacement. The major problem now is the transmission. We need to repair and/or rebuilt transmission at $1,500 to $1,800. One service shop tried a fix for $300 after finding a service bulletin on it. The transmission is still slipping in third gear. It is now at a reputable transmission shop to be repaired. We were told by them that there was an article in a transmission magazine about this problem in this particular vehicle and that also Ford is not very good about transmission recalls even though there seems to be major problems with this model. This is why I have always purchased Toyota.