Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

Fun to drive. No problems. Treats me well
By UAFIJISPORTRAC

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have only owned mine for a few months, but going from a 95 Ranger to this, is great. It runs great, never had any problem, had to replace rear main seal, and just got new brakes all around. It treats me well and looks awesome on the road. I love the versatility it has, I can haul 5 people and lots of stuff in the bed. If you don't have one, get the bed extender, it's great and gives you the extra space you need. I just moved and carried tons of furniture in it. I love this truck!

Favorite Features

Bed extender, automatic rear window, height of the truck, 2wd gets better mpg

Suggested Improvements

New configuration on upper control arms for ball joints

2001 Ford Sport Trac
By Charles Shaffer

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It will be a year in June 2008 since I bought it. Have had trouble with bad vibration in the whole truck, in the steering, and front end. Mechanic said the owners of the truck who had purchased it new had under the new warranty to get it fixed. The power steering pump has to be replaced with a bigger valve in it along with some other things concerning the pump. This is what is causing the vibration. Could cost me at least $1000 to fix it. Not a happy camper.

Favorite Features

I like the seats, the bed, and the electric back window.

Suggested Improvements

Door handles in bad place.

Maintenance Nightmare
By Indy

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

You name it. It had to be fixed. Leaks transmission fluid like a sive. Major transmission problems. Complete replacement at 5,000 miles, pan gasket replaced too many times to count, major transmission repair ($2,000) at 75,000. ABS sensor failure - warrany, windshield replacement - warranty, plus a ton of other stuff. Worst truck I've owned. Would not buy again.

Suggested Improvements

Different drive train!

Blackie's been a good boy
By lcattivera

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

i have always been a GM man, but after repeated fuel pumps and little gremlins in my last three Chevys, I stepped into my first Ford truck. I loved the design and looks from the start. Nice smooth ride compared to S-10 Blazers. Love the smooth shift while accelerating. Has good power when you are stupid enough to floor it and watch the fuel gauge drop. Overall, Blackie has been good dependable truck. Good styling, handy 4 doors, great stereo/6 cd changer, and love to open that rear window. I have 87,000 miles on him. I keep him garaged and drive him daily. I have had problems with repeated engine light, brakes, uneven tire wear, rattles.

Favorite Features

Styling, nice stance, simple dash controls. Handy hard bed cover. Smooth ride, lots of creature comforts. Automatic rear window, keyless entry, 6 CD changer/stereo. Good overall size. Easy to manuever

Suggested Improvements

Better paint durability, especially hood paint. Less plastic.. Improve brake system. Needs under hood lighting. Seems to be design flaw of engine light and ABS light

Ford should recall Sport Tracs
By last ford?

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Only complaint on the interior is the lumbar support on the driver's seat. Love the floor (no carpet), plenty of room, lot's of adjustability. The exterior is great. Fuel mileage has been as expected (15 city, 19 highway). Good power. Rides like a truck, but it is a truck. Mechanically, Ford should issue a recall for brake problems. At 70,000 miles, it's on it's 4th set of brakes and 2nd set of rotors. Our Honda just had brakes for the 1st time at over 100,000 miles. We don't drive off-road, we've had no accidents, and we don't tow anything. We don't ride brakes, and we don't slam on them. This is clearly a Ford problem.

Favorite Features

Composite truck bed, interior materials, sliding rear window.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes and rotors that last more than 50,000 miles. The Ford engineers should be ashamed for the mechanical defects, and the Ford management team should issue recalls to permanently fix the brake problems.