Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD
By Jake D.

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It will be going on 8 years since we have bought our truck used from a ford dealer. It was a year or two old. Since then it has been a pretty great companion. The only Problems are fuel economy, Braking System and Steering. The brakes have to be replaced or fixed often, the fuel economy is 14mpg, and the steering can get shaky meaning that you have to replace the control arms. Other then that its been a companion. Only a few years ago i found out that t was loaded with options. All i dont have is the moonroof and leather i think. Came with towing package, all exterior option, 6 disc changer, automatic tranny. Good truck. Repairs have never exceed 500 dollars when u DIY

towing package, crew cab, power seat, 6 disc in dash

Braking system is terrible (look at CR reports), the new ones STILL get 14mpg, and the steering can be annoying when not fixed right.

Sport Trac
By Momof2

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased with 75 mi on it, now at 160000. Bought Gold Warranty, will never purchase again, it covered nothing. Transmission came "unsealed" at 16k mi, said it was normal wear and tear. Continued transmission issues, gaskets come unsealed often and the electrical issues are huge. Windows won't roll up and down, door locks wont work, even manually (can only get in through passenger manual key lock). Constant repairs.

Comfortable seating area. Durable truck bed. No a/c or heater problems.

Fix transmission and electrical issues. Use better gaskets, work on sealant issues. Tires have to be rotated almost with every oil change.

190,000 miles later
By drew

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

tTansmission took me to 168,000 miles. Vehicle brought home garage doors lumber, tvs, bicycles, well you get the picture. Son now has it at school. Not a rattle or a hitch except the lousy gas mileage. Love this thing want 400,000 out of it. Very little maintenance

Durability, utility, reliability

Gas mileage

Perfect for me
By Bobbye

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

No problems. One recall on the cruise control. Still haven't taken it in for replacement...hate the dealers. This truck has been the perfect solution for me. I can't say enough good things about it. I love it!

4WD, comfort, and great functionality.

We removed the side rails because they rusted very badly. They worked well but after the 2nd Ohio winter, they looked like a hot mess.

210,000---Need I say more
By Jen

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

210,000 miles has not broke down once! No motor problems at all. Now that I wrote this review it will probably break down---right! (Actually I am knocking on wood). I think I have been very lucky with this truck. Do and would recommend to anyone.

Seats front and back are comfortable. The way it drives, and the factory stereo is pretty good.

Can't think of any