2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
Fun to drive. No problems. Treats me well
By UAFIJISPORTRAC on 06/04/08 11:44 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have only owned mine for a few months, but going from a 95 Ranger to this, is great. It runs great, never had any problem, had to replace rear main seal, and just got new brakes all around. It treats me well and looks awesome on the road. I love the versatility it has, I can haul 5 people and lots of stuff in the bed. If you don't have one, get the bed extender, it's great and gives you the extra space you need. I just moved and carried tons of furniture in it. I love this truck!

2001 Ford Sport Trac
By Charles Shaffer on 05/08/08 14:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It will be a year in June 2008 since I bought it. Have had trouble with bad vibration in the whole truck, in the steering, and front end. Mechanic said the owners of the truck who had purchased it new had under the new warranty to get it fixed. The power steering pump has to be replaced with a bigger valve in it along with some other things concerning the pump. This is what is causing the vibration. Could cost me at least $1000 to fix it. Not a happy camper.

Maintenance Nightmare
By Indy on 01/17/08 11:59 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

You name it. It had to be fixed. Leaks transmission fluid like a sive. Major transmission problems. Complete replacement at 5,000 miles, pan gasket replaced too many times to count, major transmission repair ($2,000) at 75,000. ABS sensor failure - warrany, windshield replacement - warranty, plus a ton of other stuff. Worst truck I've owned. Would not buy again.

Blackie's been a good boy
By lcattivera on 06/18/07 09:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

i have always been a GM man, but after repeated fuel pumps and little gremlins in my last three Chevys, I stepped into my first Ford truck. I loved the design and looks from the start. Nice smooth ride compared to S-10 Blazers. Love the smooth shift while accelerating. Has good power when you are stupid enough to floor it and watch the fuel gauge drop. Overall, Blackie has been good dependable truck. Good styling, handy 4 doors, great stereo/6 cd changer, and love to open that rear window. I have 87,000 miles on him. I keep him garaged and drive him daily. I have had problems with repeated engine light, brakes, uneven tire wear, rattles.

Ford should recall Sport Tracs
By last ford? on 03/17/07 05:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Only complaint on the interior is the lumbar support on the driver's seat. Love the floor (no carpet), plenty of room, lot's of adjustability. The exterior is great. Fuel mileage has been as expected (15 city, 19 highway). Good power. Rides like a truck, but it is a truck. Mechanically, Ford should issue a recall for brake problems. At 70,000 miles, it's on it's 4th set of brakes and 2nd set of rotors. Our Honda just had brakes for the 1st time at over 100,000 miles. We don't drive off-road, we've had no accidents, and we don't tow anything. We don't ride brakes, and we don't slam on them. This is clearly a Ford problem.

Ok, but could be better
By drew on 02/16/07 09:24 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Was fine till O/D light blinked, then transmission work, then ball joints, brakes etc. Keep up with those and its a decent vehicle. Mileage is kinda bad, but decent overall. Had other SUV vehicles that were worse. Sure there is some maintenance expense, but not like other vehicles.

Transmission problems
By Frank Grimes on 09/17/06 12:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The SportTrac is a decent vehicle and served me well over a five year period. The truck's versatility and mix of luxury and ruggedness allowed it to handle most situations well. The windshield is prone to cracking when operating the defrosters in cold weather. There are a few sensors that have a tendency to fail. However, my biggest issue with the truck came at 95,000 miles when the automatic transmission ceased to function. The truck was well maintained, so the failure was quite a surprise. After much research, and expense, I found that this was common among these trucks. The automatic transmission has design flaws. Beware the blinking "O/D Off" light of death.

GREAT Family SUT
By Dave HArmon on 07/27/06 09:32 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used with about 30k. It now has over 50K and the only problem was left rear turn signal would not work sometimes. I tracked the problem to the switch in the column. The wire for that bulb was too short, factory defect, and would get pulled enough to stop the electrical feed. Other than that it has been a great little truck.

My Sport Trac
By Candy on 06/14/06 08:44 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am the original owner of my Sport Trac. I have really enjoyed the versatility of the truck. I did have trouble with the belt sounding like crickets. After getting the tensioner pulley replaced the belt doesn't make the noises anymore.

Best of everything
By S Lillard on 05/05/06 18:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

At first when I drove the Sport Trac I remember thinking that it drove more like a car than a truck. I had just gave my reliable F-150 to my son-in-law prior to buying the Sport Trac from an acquaintance. The previous truck had given me 269,000 miles and was still running strong and looked newer than the 1995 that it was. I was now hoping the Sport Trac would be as loyal. Now at 100,000 and going strong without any problems thus far. I live in the country, use the Sport Trac as a dirt road explorer, and love driving it. It looks good and it feels good.