2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
Love the Truck
By WDAVIS on 04/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great design everyone loves the truck I have the best of both worlds suv/pickup only problems is the rotors and the front pads whats going on Ford lets fix this problem.

A solid vehicle
By JHarbs on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have driven several Fords over the past 25+ years and none compare to my Sport Trac. I totaly love this truck. I have 2 small children and it handles my family and needs quite nicely. I sometimes wish for a longer bed but I knew how long it was when I bought it right? My wife drives an Explorer also but jumps at the chance to take my Sport Trac every time. The seats are comfortable and the for a V-6 has great power. To every one who read the Consumer Report on the Sport Trac, remember opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them and some stink! Hats off to Ford on the Sport Trac!!!!!

Not Sure What To Think
By gelton1 on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Consumer Reports gave the Sport Trac a big thimbs down, ranking it one of the worst vehicles. I use to think there was something to their annual report, but I have 2nd thoughts now. I bought my Sport Trac in Dec. '00, a co-worker's husband bought his 3 months later, a friend bought his that same month, and someone I talk with via work bought one this past summer. With the exception of me getting the Firestones replaced (all the others did not have the Firestones), neither of our vehicles have been returned to a dealership for anything (well the co-worker's husband does use the dealership for routine service)

great suv/truck, but small problems
By toby on 03/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

i have had my sporttrac for over 2 years (the first one sold at the dealership) i have had numerous small repairs that have had to be fixed, but do recommend the vehicle for purchase. unfortunately, my biggest problem is the brakes. i am on my 4th set of brakes at 71000 highway miles. im hoping that this time it is fixed.

Good Design-Marginal Quality
By William on 03/16/02 10:50 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

A intermitent rattle around the pasenger door has never been found. Ford engineer just denied hearing the rattle, so now we people ask what the rattle is I tell them that there is no rattle. The brakes are horrible, rotors warp at 10,000 miles, at 32K I am having up graded rotors & a third set of pad installed. I understand that this is a problem Ford has been having but the dealer / Ford, in the true form is denying any problem. I love the design & functionally of the vehical, just wish the quality was there.

GREAT CONCEPT
By RFK on 03/14/02 18:16 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

LOVE THE CONCEPT OF SUV WITH FOUR DOORS, FULL BACK SEAT AND PICKUP BED. HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THE VEHICLE. GET A LOT OF LOOKS FROM OTHER DRIVERS.

Looks Are Deceiving
By nailsdiana on 03/10/02 06:28 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My husband and I purchased our Sport Trac in Mar.2000. When we first got it we loved it. Everyone turned their heads to look at it. This vehicle is very noisy, you can always hear air noises and whistling. The dealership has tried to fix that and can't. We have been to the dealership with numerous little things going wrong:the alarm system,the keypad on the door,the overdrive switch,and the oilsending unit.This truck rides rough.

2001 Sport Trac
By cookfr on 03/02/02 18:41 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Handy vehicle for family use. Seats 5 and can haul quite a bit.

Unique Vehicle
By kevin639 on 02/27/02 14:37 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Very nice five passenger SUV with the ability to haul a small about of materials. Get the tail gate extender and soft bed cover - well worth it. Only draw back is the gas milage - 18 mpg.

Noise and brakes
By TM on 02/18/02 01:11 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wind noise on drivers side is loud and the dealer has "tried" to fix it two times. The front end makes a loud sweaking noise when I turn the wheels hard to make a U turn. If I open the back window I hear a lot a sweaking from the rear bed. at 17,000 the brakes are making a swealing noise and in they need to be changed