Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Explorer-sport-trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

my sport trac 2001
By cwood0716

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my Sport Trac used, it had 36,000 miles when i got it. It has over a hundred thousand now. I have had it for about 6 years and I love it.I have hauled everything I needed to haul on it.I have the roll down window, I just stick lumber right through the window if it is too long for the bed.I have had very little repair over the years and it still looks and runs great. I love the body style and it is a rugged little truck.I look forward to at least 6 more years with it.My truck is an automatic, this site did not give me the option to pick auto trans.

Next Truck will be one of these too!
By Happy Owner

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased mine used and it has been great. It has the rust trap running boards but for a couple hundred bucks, that's fixed. The rear window likes to think there's an obstruction if the window is wet and it won't roll up. But, I will buy a new one when this one finally dies. I never once got stuck in the harsh Midwest ice storms and snows of last year. People complain about ride quality, but this is one of the nicest riding trucks I have ever had. It has a nice look, nice features, nice abilities. Gas mileage could be better, but again, truck. My wife even likes it and she is used to a Grand Cherokee with a luxury car ride and feel.

Favorite Features

Bed Extender, all the power options, CD Changer in dash, 4x4, all the bed tie downs, bed power outlet

Suggested Improvements

already made the improvement I wanted, 4 wheel disc brakes.

Good Bur a Rough ride
By Good but a rough rid

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I first saw the Sport Trac in late 1999 in a commercial and I wanted it. So I sent to the several dealerships and they only had a few- but I found a 4x4 Gold w/ black trim. Of course I paid sticker - it was brand spankin' new. I have had it since 2000 - 10years now and i have almost 72K miles on it. I just spent $700 for mew plugs, tune-up, etc. OVerall - it's been a very good little truck. Gets me where I wanted to go, never got stuck.

Favorite Features

Utility, 4x4, hauls enough for most homeowner, looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension. It rides very rough. I have replaced most of the suspension but it never really gets an better. Brakes - wish they offered 4 wheel disks when I bought mine Step are rusting

This is a real Ford truck
By MrQuib

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Solid reliability. All the known bugs with the vehicle have been eradicated (tranny 2-3 flare, PCV vacuum hose...etc) I have a programmer for mine that reprogrammed the tranny. A little searching on the 'net will help you fix any problem, for ANY vehicle. There are a few whiners on here who have taken one problem and turned it into a complaint forum. One or two problems do not make a bad vehicle! If you have vibrations, try checking your wheel balance! A leaking tranny is NOT a common problem, I suggest you take care of your vehicle a little better. I've had this truck for a number of years and I haul a 25' camper with it. Never had any major issues with it. Engine runs smoothly @ 100K

Favorite Features

The back window of course, makes for a good pass-thru when needed to haul long items. Perfect size for our family and needs, not too big.

Suggested Improvements

Running boards are rust traps. Bad move on those Ford. Very bad.

Worst gas hog I have ever owned
By Reed Thwaites

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This truck was a wedding gift from my father so I probably shouldn't complain about it, but people want to hear it so hear it goes. It is a very heavy truck it takes a lot of effort to drive, the steering is tough the shocks are tough and the breaks are touchy. The fuel economy is not 16-17 its more like 10-12. I cant wait to pay off my other car so I can trade this hunk of junk in.

Favorite Features

rear window

Suggested Improvements

everything.