Used 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:

my sport trac 2001
By cwood0716

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my Sport Trac used, it had 36,000 miles when i got it. It has over a hundred thousand now. I have had it for about 6 years and I love it.I have hauled everything I needed to haul on it.I have the roll down window, I just stick lumber right through the window if it is too long for the bed.I have had very little repair over the years and it still looks and runs great. I love the body style and it is a rugged little truck.I look forward to at least 6 more years with it.My truck is an automatic, this site did not give me the option to pick auto trans.

Sport Trac
By Momof2

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased with 75 mi on it, now at 160000. Bought Gold Warranty, will never purchase again, it covered nothing. Transmission came "unsealed" at 16k mi, said it was normal wear and tear. Continued transmission issues, gaskets come unsealed often and the electrical issues are huge. Windows won't roll up and down, door locks wont work, even manually (can only get in through passenger manual key lock). Constant repairs.

Comfortable seating area. Durable truck bed. No a/c or heater problems.

Fix transmission and electrical issues. Use better gaskets, work on sealant issues. Tires have to be rotated almost with every oil change.

210,000---Need I say more
By Jen

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

210,000 miles has not broke down once! No motor problems at all. Now that I wrote this review it will probably break down---right! (Actually I am knocking on wood). I think I have been very lucky with this truck. Do and would recommend to anyone.

Seats front and back are comfortable. The way it drives, and the factory stereo is pretty good.

Can't think of any

Fun to drive. No problems. Treats me well
By UAFIJISPORTRAC

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have only owned mine for a few months, but going from a 95 Ranger to this, is great. It runs great, never had any problem, had to replace rear main seal, and just got new brakes all around. It treats me well and looks awesome on the road. I love the versatility it has, I can haul 5 people and lots of stuff in the bed. If you don't have one, get the bed extender, it's great and gives you the extra space you need. I just moved and carried tons of furniture in it. I love this truck!

Bed extender, automatic rear window, height of the truck, 2wd gets better mpg

New configuration on upper control arms for ball joints

2001 Ford Sport Trac
By Charles Shaffer

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It will be a year in June 2008 since I bought it. Have had trouble with bad vibration in the whole truck, in the steering, and front end. Mechanic said the owners of the truck who had purchased it new had under the new warranty to get it fixed. The power steering pump has to be replaced with a bigger valve in it along with some other things concerning the pump. This is what is causing the vibration. Could cost me at least $1000 to fix it. Not a happy camper.

I like the seats, the bed, and the electric back window.

Door handles in bad place.