2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport Trac model:
my sport trac 2001
By cwood0716 on 04/10/12 19:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my Sport Trac used, it had 36,000 miles when i got it. It has over a hundred thousand now. I have had it for about 6 years and I love it.I have hauled everything I needed to haul on it.I have the roll down window, I just stick lumber right through the window if it is too long for the bed.I have had very little repair over the years and it still looks and runs great. I love the body style and it is a rugged little truck.I look forward to at least 6 more years with it.My truck is an automatic, this site did not give me the option to pick auto trans.

Next Truck will be one of these too!
By Happy Owner on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased mine used and it has been great. It has the rust trap running boards but for a couple hundred bucks, that's fixed. The rear window likes to think there's an obstruction if the window is wet and it won't roll up. But, I will buy a new one when this one finally dies. I never once got stuck in the harsh Midwest ice storms and snows of last year. People complain about ride quality, but this is one of the nicest riding trucks I have ever had. It has a nice look, nice features, nice abilities. Gas mileage could be better, but again, truck. My wife even likes it and she is used to a Grand Cherokee with a luxury car ride and feel.

Good Bur a Rough ride
By Good but a rough rid on 04/28/10 12:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I first saw the Sport Trac in late 1999 in a commercial and I wanted it. So I sent to the several dealerships and they only had a few- but I found a 4x4 Gold w/ black trim. Of course I paid sticker - it was brand spankin' new. I have had it since 2000 - 10years now and i have almost 72K miles on it. I just spent $700 for mew plugs, tune-up, etc. OVerall - it's been a very good little truck. Gets me where I wanted to go, never got stuck.

This is a real Ford truck
By MrQuib on 04/01/10 08:15 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Solid reliability. All the known bugs with the vehicle have been eradicated (tranny 2-3 flare, PCV vacuum hose...etc) I have a programmer for mine that reprogrammed the tranny. A little searching on the 'net will help you fix any problem, for ANY vehicle. There are a few whiners on here who have taken one problem and turned it into a complaint forum. One or two problems do not make a bad vehicle! If you have vibrations, try checking your wheel balance! A leaking tranny is NOT a common problem, I suggest you take care of your vehicle a little better. I've had this truck for a number of years and I haul a 25' camper with it. Never had any major issues with it. Engine runs smoothly @ 100K

Worst gas hog I have ever owned
By Reed Thwaites on 12/03/09 00:26 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This truck was a wedding gift from my father so I probably shouldn't complain about it, but people want to hear it so hear it goes. It is a very heavy truck it takes a lot of effort to drive, the steering is tough the shocks are tough and the breaks are touchy. The fuel economy is not 16-17 its more like 10-12. I cant wait to pay off my other car so I can trade this hunk of junk in.

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD
By Jake D. on 10/17/09 07:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It will be going on 8 years since we have bought our truck used from a ford dealer. It was a year or two old. Since then it has been a pretty great companion. The only Problems are fuel economy, Braking System and Steering. The brakes have to be replaced or fixed often, the fuel economy is 14mpg, and the steering can get shaky meaning that you have to replace the control arms. Other then that its been a companion. Only a few years ago i found out that t was loaded with options. All i dont have is the moonroof and leather i think. Came with towing package, all exterior option, 6 disc changer, automatic tranny. Good truck. Repairs have never exceed 500 dollars when u DIY

Sport Trac
By Momof2 on 08/30/09 07:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased with 75 mi on it, now at 160000. Bought Gold Warranty, will never purchase again, it covered nothing. Transmission came "unsealed" at 16k mi, said it was normal wear and tear. Continued transmission issues, gaskets come unsealed often and the electrical issues are huge. Windows won't roll up and down, door locks wont work, even manually (can only get in through passenger manual key lock). Constant repairs.

190,000 miles later
By drew on 12/31/08 12:56 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

tTansmission took me to 168,000 miles. Vehicle brought home garage doors lumber, tvs, bicycles, well you get the picture. Son now has it at school. Not a rattle or a hitch except the lousy gas mileage. Love this thing want 400,000 out of it. Very little maintenance

Perfect for me
By Bobbye on 12/09/08 05:03 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

No problems. One recall on the cruise control. Still haven't taken it in for replacement...hate the dealers. This truck has been the perfect solution for me. I can't say enough good things about it. I love it!

210,000---Need I say more
By Jen on 09/11/08 19:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2WD 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

210,000 miles has not broke down once! No motor problems at all. Now that I wrote this review it will probably break down---right! (Actually I am knocking on wood). I think I have been very lucky with this truck. Do and would recommend to anyone.