Used 2011 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

2011 Ford Expedition SUV

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

2nd Best mom car!
By Debbie

2011 Ford Expedition SUV EL King Ranch 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

I am a Ford girl. My cars for the past 30+ years have been Ford SUV products with the exception of a Chevy Suburban, which did not last in our home long. My prior car to this was my favorite, the Ford Excursion. I went back to the Expedition as I had one before the Excursion. I have 3 very busy, active teens and college age kids. We are an outdoor family with horses and boats. The pulling capacity is definitely not that of the Excursion, but, it's not on the same frame, which is one of my biggest let downs. We pull 2 horses on long hauls and 3 on short and our boat with no issue. It is a smooth ride and I can get 12 - 14 mpg pulling. It holds 8 adults comfortably with easy in and out of the back seat and still has room in the rear cargo area. It is a King Ranch and has lots of extras, but, disappointed in the wear of the leather. As a horse person, the saddle leather interiors were a draw and I hoped for better wear on the seats. The blue tooth is not so hot, sounds like your in a wind tunnel to those on the other end. We bought it right after the Japan Tsunami, so we are without Navigation, it was not available, and our back up camera is not in the dash it is in the rear view mirror, still helpful, but, definitely not ideal. We have had no major engine or transmission issues and will be purchasing another, probably our last large SUV in the next year. It is a solid, reliable vehicle backed by a great company. You won't go wrong and probably will be back for another! Great job Ford, but, please bring us something a little heavier in the frame in an SUV! It will make pulling/towing a lot better and I won't have to fight my husband for his F250!

Good car, but if you can buy a Navigator or go GM
By Adam Tristead

2011 Ford Expedition SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my Expedition with high hopes, big engine, nice looks, and some high-end equipment, and for $56,000 I couldn't beat it. After dealing with the tedious process of negotiating I left the lot with my new car. Emidiatly I noticed that the steering felt quiet numb, I mean it's a truck, I didn't expect sporty, but I was hoping for some feel. My other major dislike about this car is that the interior quality isn't the greatest, uneven gaps, poor materials, and hard surfaces, some thing I wasn't expecting for almost 60k. Overal, I've put almost 90,000 miles on my Expedition, and the resale is looking good, and it still feels put together. If your in the market for a full-size SUV, I say look at it, but much more recommend the Lincoln Navigator, GMC Youkon, or the Chevy Tahoe or Suburban.

Awesome SUV built to handle the worst
By txag1995

2011 Ford Expedition SUV Limited 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought the vehicle new and it now has 84000 miles on it after 26 months. I use it daily on construction sites and as a family vehicle. This vehicle sees extreme duty on the job site. There are days that I come home covered in mud and the engine has not shut off since I got in it that morning. No rattles, no creaks, no loose parts, no engine issues, tires never need alignment, getting about 65000 miles per set of tires and it handles great.

If you are looking for a full size SUV give the Expedition a shot. I used to have a Tahoe and older Sequoia and the Expy is my favorite of the three.

Reliable, reliable, reliable Power folding rear seats Rain sensing wipers Quiet ride Heated middle row seats Paint is good quality Interior bits are durable and have not broken or faded as it did in the Tahoe I had before. Stereo sound quality is good

Bluetooth sound quality can be a little buggy Front A/C could be stronger (I like it COLD) Stereo head unit is very 1980's looking. Needs to be updated. Include Ecoboost V6 for this vehicle.

Great Family Car
By chrismc2

2011 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a 2011 Expedition in 2012. Searched for long time and found one that had been dealer car, got it with 13,500 miles for 13,000 dollars off new price. Front bucket cloth seats are the most comfortable I have ever had.
Makes long trips with the family and short trips a pleasure. It handles extremly well and has plenty of power in town and on highway. It has enough power and handling for man, and makes women feel secure and riding higher than other cars. All 8 seats will fit average size adults very comfortably.
With the third row down it seats 5 with HUGE cargo space. I do not often write reviews, but had to this time because this is one of, if not the best SUV I have ever owned.

Seats - comfort for the front and plenty of leg space for all 6 other seats, Power - it has take off in city and passing power on highway, keypad on outside of drivers door - you can leave keys in console then when you get back just use the code on door,you do not realize how convenient that is until you try it. Cargo space with third row down, even with third row up you can just open glass on back and put all your groceries between back door and third row seat, so you do not have to put it up and down.

Fuel mileage - I don't care what the specs say you are only going to get 15.8 mpg in city and 17 mpg on highway. I measured this by how much gas I put in vs miles driven over several months. The computer in the car will tell you it is getting better gas mileage, but I do not know what kind of math it is using.

Impressed!
By rlamascus

2011 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

Thought I would never buy a Ford again but buying a travel trailer and needing the perfect tow vehicle made me check out the Expedition.
Am I glad I did.
Roomy, comfortable, great features, good ride, and drives like a big, solid hunk of metal on all road surfaces.
Stable in wind, good on wet surfaces and in the mountains.
Get the 3.73 rear end if you want to tow and get better acceleration with no mpg penalty.
The nav system is quite good as is the sound system and flexibility of options.
So far, I could not be more pleased.
Oh yeah, folding power 3rd seat makes for easy loading and extra passenger space.
Perfect tow vehicle.

Ride, stability, towing capacity, nav system, sound system, room, folding 3rd row seats, rear backup camera and sensors, power, decent acceleration, ok gas mileage for a large SUV.

Seat cushions a tad short, dead pedal for left foot, better instruction manuals, Ford dealers still hassle w/extras during buying experience (paint sealant, undercoating, window tinting, etc.).