Used 2008 Ford Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

2nd engine going with less than 90,000 miles
By Patrick

2008 Ford Expedition SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

Bought our 2008 limited Expedition in 2011 with 36,000 miles. First engine blew up at 40,000 miles. I will give our dealer and Ford a lot of credit as they replaced it free of cost to us with a supposed 100,000 mile warranty on the new motor. Well come to find out, our "new" motor was actually a rebuilt one. Who knows how many miles are actually one it. And now with our Expedition just coming up on 87.000 miles (only 47,000 on the "new" motor) we are having serious issue. Had it in to the dealer a couple of weeks ago and the replaced coils, plugs, fuel filters, etc... saying that they took all of that off the old motor and put on the new one so it was simply time to replace. Now a couple of weeks later wife notices check engine light on and takes it back to the dealer. Now it is all the sensors on the engine going out. Dealer wants another $1000 to fix that stating its not covered under the warranty on the "new" motor because they are parts you put on the engine. Now keep in mind this dealership has done all recommended regular maintenance like clockwork because i didn't want them to ever have any excuse not to cover the warranty. A lot of good that seems to have done. I also have to mention that at this point i have replace the air compressor for the air ride not once but twice at about $1200 each time. Cant' forget the driver side window and passenger side too, at about $500 each. Have always been a Ford guy but this is getting crazy. I have the same paint issue too that have seen multiple complaints about too. Bubbling paint on the front of the hood and tailgate. We bought the expedition because of all the great reviews we saw and the amount of miles people were getting out of them but apparently we didn't look hard enough. Now that i have done a lot of research specifically about engine issue I see it is a very common problem that these motors blow on people. Ours went earlier than most, but still far to common of a problem for Ford to ignore. Wish I could recommend this vehicle to others but if i had to do it again I would run from it.

2008 Expedition
By adams_w

2008 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

Bought this used Expy with 48K. Driven additional 50K in the last 16 mos. Beautiful! Quiet interstate cruiser that is safe and fun to drive. One of few vehicles you can drive 500-600 miles in a day and still feel decent. Gas mileage @ 65 mph has been a consistent 20-21. Highway cruising range is great at 500 miles.

Favorite features is... safety. And...leg room. At 6'4" I can stretch out my long legs and not feel cramped. Thank you, Ford! Appreciate the quiet "Beep" sensor when backing and getting close to an object. And...love the power third row folding seat. Push a button -done! And when not needed - they disappear. Leather seats are very supportive. Love the layout design in the central console.

Had trouble with the 6-changer CD player. Not good. Plays only when it's in the mood.

Better real world MPG than our Tahoe
By rustinn

2008 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

We own an '07 Tahoe alongside an '08 Expedition. I don't know how the EPA got their MPG figures but in the similar driving, I am getting slightly better MPG in the Expedition and I believe it is because of its 6 speed transmission as opposed to the Tahoe's abysmal 4 speed. The Tahoe has better off the line torque but its 4 speed logic makes downshifting a "forget about it" scenario. The transmission in this car is beautiful, upshifts/downshifts at precisely the right times and it doesn't quarrel with the driver. This car rockets along at higher speeds but lacks the punch of the Tahoe at low speeds. Interior noise is pin-drop quite at low speeds but picks up a lot of wind noise on the highway

Buttery smooth "crown-vic" like handling makes road imperfections go unnoticed, cooled seats, the perforated leather on the leather seats, good light offroad capability, although visibility is excellent in this car, the backup camera is a very welcome option

Brakes are less reliable than that of the Tahoe's but are easier to modulate, low end torque, steering feel could be better, seats aren't as comfortable as the Tahoe's, wind noise needs better insulation on the highway, mediocre paint job, door sills are too heavy and don't have that holding feature that is executed perfectly on the Tahoe

NIce
By bigg5512

2008 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my eddie bauer with 50k now have 56k, nice smooth ride with enough power compared to 97 expi and 98 navi i owned before. I also have complaints about slowness of power windows and its refusal to work on a very cold morning but when sun came out they worked again. I also had a rear diff seal break but was fixed under powertrain warranty at dealer. Over all I enjoy my expi would buy again

Air conditioned seats, power folding rear seats, interior room, smooth ride, price

power windows, xenon headlights option

Very Good... Just Not Great
By rgkroeber

2008 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

Overall, I'm satisfied with my 2008 EB Expedition EL. Nice ride, good mileage for a big SUV, no major mechanical problems the past 3 years. Interior comfort is just O.K., the seats were a bit firm at first and took a while to break in (not like the "lazyboys" that go into Suburbans and Yukons). The one niggling complaint I've had with this vehicle is the power windows. All the window motors turned anemic just months after my purchase. No amount of shop adjustments/solutions ever helped this condition. Hit the window buttons and take a nap until they fully open/close. They also are prone to sticking in cold weather.

Steering continues to stay tight, even after 3 years; nice highway ride. I like having the shifter on the console. The 3rd row power fold-down is clever, although it takes away some "headroom" inches for stowage back there.

My Expedition gets worked hard every day; Ford needs to beef it up (or add packages) to take more of a pounding - not everyone who buys this vehicle is a soccer mom driving 50 lb. urchans around town. More attention to driver controls (single touch for intermittent wipers, folding mirrors)?

• SUV