2008 Ford Expedition SSV Fleet Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2008 Expedition Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Sort Reviews by

2008 Expedition
By adams_w

2008 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

Bought this used Expy with 48K. Driven additional 50K in the last 16 mos. Beautiful! Quiet interstate cruiser that is safe and fun to drive. One of few vehicles you can drive 500-600 miles in a day and still feel decent. Gas mileage @ 65 mph has been a consistent 20-21. Highway cruising range is great at 500 miles.

Favorite Features

Favorite features is... safety. And...leg room. At 6'4" I can stretch out my long legs and not feel cramped. Thank you, Ford! Appreciate the quiet "Beep" sensor when backing and getting close to an object. And...love the power third row folding seat. Push a button -done! And when not needed - they disappear. Leather seats are very supportive. Love the layout design in the central console.

Suggested Improvements

Had trouble with the 6-changer CD player. Not good. Plays only when it's in the mood.

Better real world MPG than our Tahoe
By rustinn

2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

We own an '07 Tahoe alongside an '08 Expedition. I don't know how the EPA got their MPG figures but in the similar driving, I am getting slightly better MPG in the Expedition and I believe it is because of its 6 speed transmission as opposed to the Tahoe's abysmal 4 speed. The Tahoe has better off the line torque but its 4 speed logic makes downshifting a "forget about it" scenario. The transmission in this car is beautiful, upshifts/downshifts at precisely the right times and it doesn't quarrel with the driver. This car rockets along at higher speeds but lacks the punch of the Tahoe at low speeds. Interior noise is pin-drop quite at low speeds but picks up a lot of wind noise on the highway

Favorite Features

Buttery smooth "crown-vic" like handling makes road imperfections go unnoticed, cooled seats, the perforated leather on the leather seats, good light offroad capability, although visibility is excellent in this car, the backup camera is a very welcome option

Suggested Improvements

Brakes are less reliable than that of the Tahoe's but are easier to modulate, low end torque, steering feel could be better, seats aren't as comfortable as the Tahoe's, wind noise needs better insulation on the highway, mediocre paint job, door sills are too heavy and don't have that holding feature that is executed perfectly on the Tahoe

NIce
By bigg5512

2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my eddie bauer with 50k now have 56k, nice smooth ride with enough power compared to 97 expi and 98 navi i owned before. I also have complaints about slowness of power windows and its refusal to work on a very cold morning but when sun came out they worked again. I also had a rear diff seal break but was fixed under powertrain warranty at dealer. Over all I enjoy my expi would buy again

Favorite Features

Air conditioned seats, power folding rear seats, interior room, smooth ride, price

Suggested Improvements

power windows, xenon headlights option

Very Good... Just Not Great
By rgkroeber

2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

Overall, I'm satisfied with my 2008 EB Expedition EL. Nice ride, good mileage for a big SUV, no major mechanical problems the past 3 years. Interior comfort is just O.K., the seats were a bit firm at first and took a while to break in (not like the "lazyboys" that go into Suburbans and Yukons). The one niggling complaint I've had with this vehicle is the power windows. All the window motors turned anemic just months after my purchase. No amount of shop adjustments/solutions ever helped this condition. Hit the window buttons and take a nap until they fully open/close. They also are prone to sticking in cold weather.

Favorite Features

Steering continues to stay tight, even after 3 years; nice highway ride. I like having the shifter on the console. The 3rd row power fold-down is clever, although it takes away some "headroom" inches for stowage back there.

Suggested Improvements

My Expedition gets worked hard every day; Ford needs to beef it up (or add packages) to take more of a pounding - not everyone who buys this vehicle is a soccer mom driving 50 lb. urchans around town. More attention to driver controls (single touch for intermittent wipers, folding mirrors)?

Follow up on Exped vs. Lambda Platform
By mk10108

2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

500 mile trips. Hauling kayaks, bikes, and stuff for the twins, the Eddie gets better with age. Pile on the payload and it still rides level. Being 6'6" it's the only vehicle I can move the seats up & still fit. Mileage is amazing - getting 20 mpg (3.31 rear end)highway doing the speed limit. Overall Average 16-18 mpg. DVD keeps the twins entertained, while the NAV gets us where we go. No complaints, no regrets. Looking to purchase a travel trailer and the 9K pound capability expands our choices. If you're thinking cross over platform the Expedition is a better choice.

Really Great Truck
By Kevin

2008 Ford Expedition Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

My wife and I purchased the fully loaded Limited in Jan 2008. We have almost 50k on the truck now and I have to say it's one of my favorite cars I've ever owned. For the most part there have been no problems until recently. If you know Ford - you know they have electrical issues. My GPS system broke, but I had the extended warranty so it cost me $100 deductible. Also had problems with the gears on the windows (they would move up/down really slow or not at all in extreme heat/cold. Overall though it's been an amazing truck and when compared to the Tahoe it was an easy decision. Especially with the auto fold flat seats in the 3rd row. I would highly recommend this truck.

Favorite Features

GPS, Rear DVD. Auto running boards are nice, but gotta warn people who aren't aware they're coming. Incredibly comfortable seats. Went with the captains chairs in the back to allow for a bit more room for road trips, if you travel a lot it's much easier to put items in between the captains seats

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to fix their electrical issues. This has been going on for 20 years. Less plastic - real wood trim would be nice. Adjustable cup holders. Overall an amazing truck! Great job Ford!

Stear clear from ford my friends
By leisa

2008 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

This was my first new Ford, I have always been a Chevrolet girl. I have to go to the dealer ship every 6 months to have the computer chip reset so my truck will continue to drive properly, Ford motors says there is no solution for my problem. I have gone to the dealership with the same problem 4 times since I have purchased this lemon! The gear shift sticks and will not go into gear, the gas cap was bad and caused the engine lights to come on. A 2 year old truck, what's up with that, I have has other car for 10 years and never replaced a gas cap! This is a brand new truck and no one should have to go through what I go. Ford motors is not a reputable co. And I will never purchase another Ford

Vey Pleased
By danny

2008 Ford Expedition XLT 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

Great truck, well built and reliable. Very comfortable with the whole family on long trips. This is my first American car in over 10 years and I am surprised by how well made it is. I have 97,000 miles on it with ZERO problems. Third row seat is comfortable and the automatic folding flat seat feature is very useful

Favorite Features

Reliability, comfortable ride, great styling, quiet, nice sound system. 21 mpg on the highway with non ethanol gas

Suggested Improvements

none but wish i had gotten the sync system.

Love my expedition
By arlingtonbadger

2008 Ford Expedition Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

This was my firt ever domestic vehicle and I liked it so much, I bought another blue oval baby expedition to match. Having had German and Japanese vehicles, my standards were set pretty high. I was pleasantly surprised with overall fit and fish, comfort and technology available. We've had a few minor issues - TPMS keeps going off and stuck bushing in the shifter, but overall it's the best road trip vehicle and it swallows lots of cargo. Fuel- wise, it's what I expect but the 2009+ have cylinder deactivation.

Favorite Features

Ride, amenities, utility

Suggested Improvements

I'm picky here - Interior design. Fuel economy could be a little better but hey it can tow house!

Good buy
By Donelle

2008 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

I wanted a large SUV. It was a choice between the GMC Yukon Denali or the Ford Expedition Limited. After doing price comparisons, and vehicle qualities, I went with Ford. What really sold me was the flat folding rear seats, the amount of room in the rear seats for adults, heated and cooled front seats, along with the wood trim, plus the unimaginable smooth ride, for a large SUV. Having a backup camera with back up sensors is a big sell also. I got lucky and found a King Ranch model in my area. Everyone who has seen my SUV, loves it and wants one of their own. Don't have a problem with its size, as I drove buses and motorcoaches. I love my little luxury coach.....

Favorite Features

Chaparral leather, heated and cooled front seats, power fold flat rear seats, back up camera with back up sensors, and the price for all the luxury items. You can't beat Ford's pricing......

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, and a stronger more powerful engine. Engine is hesitant at times, to give the power you request when you need that power. Also, second row Captains chairs should standard on Limited and King Ranch models, with bench seats as optional.......