2006 Ford Expedition SSV Fleet SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

2006 Expedition Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Sort Reviews by

Endless Money Pit Do Not Buy
By mustangep

2006 Ford Expedition SUV Limited 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Truck is in the shop more than on the road. Every month presents a different problem with the 2006 Expedition Limited. Last four months I replaced alternator went, coils, hub assembly left side, hub assembly right side, air conditioner compressor, steering wheel shaft and on and on. Will never purchase a Ford SUV again go Chevy.

Favorite Features

Looks, visibility

Suggested Improvements

Build a vehicle that is not designed to fall apart when factory warranty is up.

Don't buy
By DON'T BUY

2006 Ford Expedition SUV Limited 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is the worse SUV I have owned, I have to replace a coil every 2-3 months, it stalls sometime when driving. The factory spark plugs breaks off in the head of the motor, costing $300 to $2500 to replace, you have to remove the motor head, sometime the motor to remove the broken plug. Ford should have recalled the cars, trucks, and suvs thats having these problems.

Favorite Features

Looks great

Suggested Improvements

Recall it.

Owner beward
By Golfmaniac

2006 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Ex used with about 47K miles on it. Within the first week, the car began to loose power and the engine light came on. Took it back, told nothing wrong. Happened again, the dealer sent it to the local Ford dealer who found three sensors were bad, two on the transmission. I am hopeful that the fix works. The Ex swallows anything we put in it, including our three kids and gear. Gas mileage is what it is.

Favorite Features

Interior design and materials.

Overall good vehicle
By smak

2006 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Eddie Bauer Expedition new with 50 miles on it. Got a great year end deal with no interest. Fun to drive and great turning radius for a large SUV. I had 2 fuel injectors go out at 10,000 miles and the variable cam timing at 20,000 miles. Both covered under warranty but am worried why I had problems. Hopefully no additional damage to motor when it happened on the highway-limped into the Ford Dealership-seems to idle a little rough for a V-8. Had a front axle seal leak again under warranty. Looks great with deep copper metallic paint. I am a little worried about the plastic trim pieces and how they will hold-up through the years.

Favorite Features

Stereo, third seat, ride, visibility, comfort, electronic remote rear quarter windows.

Suggested Improvements

As always, fuel economy. Maybe a more rugged tread design on tires. As mentioned, trim may be suspect as vehicle ages. Eddie Bauer should have come stock with 2 power front seats.

On my 2nd Expedition
By Nanny911

2006 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I love my new expedition. I owned a 2001 for 3 years before totaling it 2 weeks ago. I hit black ice did 2 360's across 6 lanes of traffic and hit the Barrier wall head-on. I did NOT have my seatbelt on and walked out of it! I always felt very safe in it and that just confirmed it. I wasnt even looking for expeditions but saw this one and fell in love! I am a Nanny and the Kids love it.

Favorite Features

I love the Capatians chairs in the middle so there is no more taking out carseats to let them in the back or them climbing over! I cant say enough good things about these cars! Reliable (I drove my old one for 180,000 miles and no big problems)VERY SAFE! LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Suggested Improvements

nothing that I can think of!

throtle sticking
By Todd

2006 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I am have trouble with the throtle sticking when I slow the car down and it pushes the car forward .ford can't find the problem after three time at the dealer ship and olny offer 15000 on a trade money down the drain,would not buy another one.

Suggested Improvements

ford needs to backup what it sells.

My tank kept me safe
By Dawn

2006 Ford Expedition SUV XLT Sport 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I am on my second Expedition (first was a 2000 with 144,000 miles on it) and couldn't be happier with it. I was recently in an accident in it. I was going 60 in the slow lane of a 4 lane freeway in San Diego. I hydroplaned in the rain and lost control spinning from the slow lane and hit the center divide going 60 mph. I walked away with whiplash and my car has $13,654 in damages HOWEVER there is NO structural damage whatsoever. The bulk of the expenses is body work, paint, and I really did a number on the front suspension. Anyways, I am so glad my car kept me safe and is so structurally sound that it was not totaled. Now I have to wait about 4 weeks to get it back.

Favorite Features

Message Center, automatic headlights, flat fold seats, roomy interior, and obviously safety.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is a given but I knew what I was getting myself into. The positives outweigh the negatives by far.

Haven't had a problem.
By Tycoonmd

2006 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I love my truck. Since I've had it I have not had a problem. I take it in for regular maintenance like oil changes and 30k services but nothing else has been needed. I haven't even had to change my brake pads yet. I've upgraded certain things and it rolls on 24 inch rims and tires in the spring and summer. Best vehicle i've ever owned and this is number 8. Would highly recommend!

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, power fold flat third row seats, heated/air conditioned front seats, memory seats, independent suspension, rear DVD, dual a/c, steering wheel controls, reliability, dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Better looking stock rims, better stock tires, better subwoofer.

What a difference 10 years makes!
By J Tant

2006 Ford Expedition SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I used to own a 1997 Expy EB which I drove until it died. After driving a 4 door sedan my family started growing which meant I needed a larger vehicle. I found a nice 06 Expy Ltd which I recently purchased. It's a good SUV! I appreciate the independent rear suspension which allows the third row seat to fold flat, something my 97 was missing. The overall driving experience is much enhanced as well. There's plenty of room inside for everything and everyone I haul around, towing capacity is perfect for what I need, and the Expy actually does pretty well with off-road beach driving. Overall, this is much improved over the 97 Expy I used to have. I'm very impressed.

Favorite Features

I like the folding 3rd row (with power!). The number of ways I can fold the 2nd and 3rd row seats is also appreciated. I also like the navigation system and the DVD player for the kids. There's also the "go-anywhere" aspect of the truck. I like being able to drive in a snowstorm.

Suggested Improvements

This has since been addressed, but the 06 Expy requires a number of CD-ROMs for the navigation system.

Could not ask for much more!
By SVT-Rich

2006 Ford Expedition SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

We bought her last January to replace our AWD 1997 Mountaineer (now my winter driver, wife drives the Expy). The Expy is outstanding so so far. She has been super reliable so far, as all of the Fords I have ever owned have been. The 5.4 is really a smooth engine with more than enough power, and the trans is also smooth. We love all the bells & whistles. The power fold rear seats are one of the best options. The air ride suspension is very smooth on highway trips, and a little rough on the not so nice roads. Fuel economy is what it is (average 12mpg winter, and 14mpg summer, and bested 16 mpg's on a highway trip at about 70-75 mph) for a vehicle this size, and I new that going into it.

Favorite Features

Power fold rear seats, smooth 5.4 engine, air ride, DVD, and navigation system, the heated, and cooled front seats. The styling of this truck in all black with the chrome wheels is outstandng. She is a keeper! Bring on child # 3! Can't wait for all the vacations in our Expy!

Suggested Improvements

Headliner, and a couple of other panels which vibrate sometimes on rough roads. Would like black interior, but the grey is nice. And other than fuel economy, I would not change a thing.