Used 2005 Ford Expedition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Expedition - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:

Lemon
By Beth Haun

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I traded my '99 Eddie Bauer Expedition for this one and within a 4 month period my 2005 had been in the shop more times than my 1999 model had been over a period of 6 years. I've had problems with the gas pedal, electric seats, a piece of interior molding fell off by itself, and numerous rattles in the dash that the dealership employees can't seem to hear but everyone else that rides with me can. With only 8500 miles and 8 months of wear, the value has gone from the $37K that we paid to $22K (what the dealership will give for it now). I've contacted Ford Motor Company about a buy back or replacement but that was a big waste of time. I won't be buying another Ford!

Favorite Features

I purchased the car because I liked the interior layout.

Expedition
By Cindy

2005 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Expedition but shortly after I bought it, gas went sky high. That was a minus but the space and comfort for my family made the purchase very worthwhile.

Favorite Features

I love the CD player, the DVD player and the third seat. I like my seat to adjust to where I want it to be and I love the image.

Suggested Improvements

I wish that it had a sunroof, moonroof or whatever and I wish that I could unlock both sides with the keyless entry. I also wish the seats had warmers.

King Ranch
By Mike

2005 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Nice truck overall.

Favorite Features

Comfort, quiet ride, space, the King Ranch leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Periodic problems with the check engine light. Stays on for a couple of days and then goes off for a couple months only to return. Stitching on the rear captains chairs arm rests.

2005 Eddie Bauer
By rs

2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Great improvement over previous '99 Eddie Bauer owned. Ride is a bit stiffer, but feels like a sportier drive. Handling and turning radius is excellent for a vehicle of this size. The new 5.4 3V is much torquier than the old engines and can pull a moderate hill at 1200 RPM without downshifts. Mileage is not bad on the highway; we get 19-20 mpg on trips if we keep at 70 or below. Tows our 23' boat/trailer at 7,000 lbs. with ease getting about 12-14 mpg highway. Other than a window rattle which the dealer fixed with a new weather strip, no problems, and very reliable so far at 15k. Great truck!

Favorite Features

Independent rear suspension, DVD, power fold /flat rear seats, engine torque, backup sensors, individual and rear climate control.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension could be a bit more forgiving (adjustable would be nice!). Interior door arm rests were nicer, more comfortable on older models.

Expedition is a Lemon
By Expedition a Lemon

2005 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I loved this car the first four months I owned it. Then it started having nothing but problems. I have not driven it in two months and it is only five months old! Size and design is great but reliability is awful. I do love the bench in the front to seat nine. It makes the driver and passenger seats larger and more comfortable for long trips. Rear seat is also large and can actually seat adults. Inside looks so much more updated than the Suburban models. Flat fold seat is great -- and I did not get the power option. Seats flip down easily. My children can do it. Turning radius is great for such a large car, much better than my smaller Durango. Just be careful you don't buy a lemon.

Favorite Features

Size and height of the car. Great visibility. I love the large mirrors, just wish they would power fold.

Suggested Improvements

A little more trunk length on the car -- even six or seven inches would accommodate more groceries, etc. Seat belt clips are slight arched, makes it very hard to shut seatbelts with car seats and booster seats. Round vent openings look silly.